Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #55)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Apr 22, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

At least for now, one can post photos from an outside source (for example MediaFire, Photobucket) using their storage. I upload my photos to either one of these sites where I have a personal folder. Click on the IMAGE button here and paste in a Direct link to the photo on their site. I have been using this method for several years probably 75 % of the time. You don't have to worry about size limitations with this method.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    These interpretations did nothing for me. I think that they are well done, they just didn't appeal to me.
    Ivana Gavric
    Grieg: Piano Works
    Champs Hill Records, 2013
    CHRCD067

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

But their recordings are the only ones I collect and listen to. I am a Luddite in music. :righton:

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  3. coopmv

Not a lot of fun just posting the link ... :(

4. coopmv

5. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Thanks for posting this info. Looks like I'll have to join one of these. :)

7. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Whoops! False alarm. I already have the Gombert in this box set I recently purchased.

[​IMG]

8. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I tried this and it worked! Cool.

dale 88 likes this.
  9. John S

John S Forum Resident

I just ordered the Olympia, which has Preludes Op. 23 and 32.

[​IMG]

Mr Bass likes this.
  10. John S

John S Forum Resident

While using Internet Explorer as my default internet browser, I was having freeze-ups and slow-downs, so I went to Firefox. With Firefox, when you RIGHT click an image (say an album image on Amazon) one of the options in the pop-up box is "Copy image location". You then LEFT click that option in the box and you have what you need to paste the link in the image box in the tool bar above the reply box on this site.

If you are using Internet Explorer, you can still post images direct from a site like Amazon. When you right click on an image, the option at the bottom of the pop-up is PROPERTIES. Click on that, and one of the things you see in the next box is a direct link to that image. Highlight/copy that and paste that to the image box here.

In neither case do you have to upload an image from your hard drive to an outside photo sharing site. I still use picture sharing sites like photobucket and minus.com for posting images uploaded from my hard drive.

TonyACT, ibanez_ax and bluemooze like this.
  11. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD.

12. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Now playing:
    Anton Webern – Im Sommerwind
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Riccardo Chailly (RCO Live)

Wofgang Amadeus Mozart – Horn Concerto No. 4 KV495 — Jacob Slagter, horn
    Ludwig Van Beethoven – Symphony No.3 “Eroica"
    — Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra — Nikolaus Harnoncourt (RCO Live)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
    Mr Bass likes this.
  13. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Now Listening To

Stravinsky: Apollo. Mravinsky, Leningrad SO, Stereo Melodiya pink.

A somewhat unlikely source for a great performance and excellent recording of this work.

[​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

A while back I mentioned that I was putting together, at the request of her voice teacher, a little collection of lyric soprano "standards" to start familiarizing my daughter with some of the literature. As an update, here's what I ended up including in this, the first of what will probably be a series of discs. Note that my idea of "standard" is probably not quite square with everyone's :angel: .

Mozart: Exsultate Jubilate (Erna Berger, Angel LP, '50s)
    Mozart: Marriage of Figaro--Non so piu cosa son (Anna Case, Columbia 78 RPM, early '30s)
    Delibes: Lakme--Bell Song (Maria Barrientos, Columbia 78 RPM, 1917)
    Offenbach: Tales of Hoffman--Doll Song (in English; Gwen Catley, HMV 78 RPM, late '30s)
    Gounod: Romeo and Juliet--Waltz Song (in English; Gwen Catley, HMV 78 RPM, late '30s)
    Gounod: Faust--Ballad of the King of Thule (Teresa Stich-Randall, Westminster LP, early '60s)
    Berlioz: Damnation of Faust--Ballad of the King of Thule (Suzanne Danco, RCA Victor LP, late '50s)
    Berlioz: Nuits d'Ete--Vilanelle (Victoria de los Angeles, RCA Victrola LP, 1970s?)
    Schubert: Auf dem wasser zu singen; An Sylvia; Im Fruhling; Das Lied im Grunen; Der Musensohn (Elisabeth Schwarzkopf with Edwin Fischer, Angel LP, 1950s)
    Rossini: La Danza (Elly Ameling, Columbia LP, 1970s?)
    Handel: Joshua--O, Had I Jubal's Lyre (Victoria de los Angeles, Angel LP, 1970s?)
    Ruy Coelho: Cancoes de Saudade e Amor--no 3, Menina e Moca, and no 5, Graca (Arminda Correia with the composer at the piano, Columbia 78 RPM, early or mid-'30s)
    Sullivan: My Dearest Heart (Amy Evans, Columbia 78 RPM test pressing, early 1930s, never issued)
    Ives: Walking (Evelyn Lear, Columbia LP, 1970s?)

15. coopmv

Nonesuch does not even come close when compared with Gimell on early music ...

bluemooze likes this.
  16. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG][/URL][/IMG]

17. John S

John S Forum Resident

I hope your daughter appreciates her musically erudite father. :)

18. coopmv

Looks like the pic got stripped off ...

19. John S

John S Forum Resident

"Unlikely source" because of a Russian orchestra playing music of this character, or because it's a Russian recording/pressing? Or both?

20. drh

drh Talking Machine

You mean that old f**t with all those scratchy old records? :laugh:

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Pretty good ballet too.

22. John S

John S Forum Resident

Here's Balanchine's

Two comments about this video:
    "All wonderful muses, but Patricia Barker is particularly goddesslike - best Polyhymnia I've seen. I wish there were more videos of her other than her Titania."

"I danced with Barker at PNB. She was a sweetheart, except for when she was on drugs and then she turned into a monster, she was a big BIG Kirkland fan and copied her in everything she did. Sniff, sniff if you know what I mean? The number of times I had to hold her hair out of her face while she was puking her guts out but she always went onstage after and gave a brilliant performance. What a trouper."

23. coopmv

24. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Yes, the decades in Zürich are almost remarkable. Not every conductor can do what he did there. A sign of first-class conductor.

25. coopmv

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.