Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #56)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 27, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

I think you've answered my question if that is her facial expression at 15.

bluemooze likes this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have two of her CD's on Denon, but not this one ...

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

I have the following box by Grimaud, but it only has 6 CD's ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

Now playing the following CD, which just arrived earlier today for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  5. Mr Bass

Froberger is a favorite of mine but has been severely neglected. Maybe his serious style is out of fashion. I have the LPs by Leonhardt, Verlet and Gilbert. Let me know what you think as I have been disappointed by many other performances. I have the Deutsche Harmonia Mundi pressing of Leonhardt that was reissued on Victrola. He had a second LP on Teldec with both organ and harpsichord pieces but I'm not sure if that was reissued on CD.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
    ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  6. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

There are two identical box sets that contain the recording-at-15 disc (her Denon recordings):
    [​IMG]

and...

[​IMG]

I don't know if there are any mastering differences between any of them. I have the white box.

7. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Probably, there were some DHM titles only available from Europe back when that made a difference.

8. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

The Sony Leonhardt box includes a disc of Froberger.

Mr Bass likes this.
  9. coopmv

Just completed listening to CD14, the last CD from the following set for a first listen. The bests were saved for the last, Schubler Chorales, Musical Offering and an organ transcription of the viola Da Gamba 1027, 1027a, which I have never heard having been performed on organ before. Marie-Claire Alain was certainly a treasure of France during her lifetime. :righton:

What is also so special about this set is every CD was performed on some historical organ somewhere in Europe and no doubt the great JS Bach himself had performed on one of these organs ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  10. coopmv

This is a superb CD of Froberger works IMO and is a relatively new recording on a little known German label, circa 2012 ...

Mr Bass likes this.
  11. coopmv

I have that set and no doubt I have more recordings of Froberger's works than I realize ...

12. coopmv

Did she actually make 15 recordings with Denon if I read your post correctly?

13. coopmv

BTW, Helene Grimaud's JS Bach CD on DG is not so great IMO. It is in my collection but she does not appear to be as good with Bach as Martha was ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  14. Mr Bass

The Denon was recorded at the age of 15. Same expression at any age though.

bluemooze likes this.
  15. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened to this early 60's Columbia LP
    Ivan Davis
    Haydn Sonata in G Major
    Five Scarlatti Sonatas
    Mozart: Sonata in F Major, K. 332
    Columbia ML5695

I liked it. Davis recorded some discs for Columbia and then Decca. I read that he disliked the recording process. (sounds like Radu Lupu)

[​IMG]

16. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Speaking of a young Martha, that reminded me of this photo of Ivan Davis and Martha Argerich in Bolzano. She wasn't yet 21 here. Just a babe. :) She won first prize and Ivan Davis won second.
    1957 First Prize: Martha Argerich. Second Prize: Ivan Davis and Jerome Lowenthal. Third Prize: Jeaneane Dowis.
    This was at the Busoni International Piano Competition.

[​IMG]

17. coopmv

And a babe from 50 yeras ago is still a superb pianist ... :righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  18. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have several copies of this one & for some reason I keep seeing it for $1 or less in the used bins. This was recorded by Decca for RCA:
    Walthamstow Assembly Hall, 7/25-27/56. Producer: Christopher Whelan. Engineers: Kenneth Wilkinson(mono)/Roy Wallace(stereo).
    LM-2106 issued 9/57. First issued in stereo on RCA Victrola VICS-1139, 2/66. Reissued on London Stereo Treasury STS-15181, 3/74.

ToddBD likes this.
  19. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Whoops; let me rephrase that as "There are two identical box sets that contain the recording-at-age-15 disc (her Denon recordings)." I was referring to the Rachmaninov CD I had previously posted about. Sorry for the confusion. :)

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have quite a few of the LPs, although the sound of most is inferior to ordinary London LPs. I also have 19 Phase 4 CDs from the mid-90s reissue series. The Stokowski 'Fantastique' is included in the Decca Original Masters CD box: Decca Recordings 1965-72.

21. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Thanks for the additional info...would love to get my hands on the stereo version of this, and now that I know there are two possibilities, I'll be on the lookout!

22. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I do not care for much modern classical music, but Martinu, for some reason, is an exception for me and holds my interest. There's something positive in Martinu that inspires me. My wife heard some Martinu playing once and told me his music inspires a lot of science fiction film soundtracks (she is an avid SF fan). Not sure which films, but I was somehow not surprised. BTW, I have Hogwood's Martinu and I enjoyed it, but my favorite Martinu conductor is Jiri Belohlavek with the Czech Philharmonic Orchestra. But, I've got several other recordings by various conductors and all are fine. Given some of the stresses he was under in what biographical information I've read about Martinu, it surprises me that I hear so much positive in his music, but I must remember music can be an outlet for emotion, not just a reflection.

Mr Bass likes this.
  23. coopmv

I too read too carelessly ...

bluemooze likes this.
  24. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Scuse me ignorance, but I don't know who Helene Grimaud is. Promise, I will check her out.

bluemooze likes this.
  25. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Now playing:

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.