Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #58)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Jul 23, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Listening to Knappertsbusch conducting the VPO in Bruckner's 4th via Spotify.

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Indeed, I have a 6-CD EMI set featuring all the major recordings by Du Pre ... :righton:

3. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

Parsifal, from the 1962 Bayreuth Festival should be at the top of the list. It's on Philips (or maybe it's on Decca by now, but do not confuse with the 1951 version which has always been on Decca and is of course in mono). As far as I know all CD issues of the '62 are the same mastering; as with the Solti Ring the analog masters are judged to be no longer in usable condition. Still, perfectly listenable, I find, and a classic recording.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

I can't claim that every RVW score has won me over, but he has a pretty fair batting average with me, including a few real favorites (in particular, the Tallis Fantasia), and what's more in the world of frequently neurotic, cantankerous, "difficult" men who wrote classical music, he seems to have been a genuinely decent human being with a wry sense of humor.

If you enjoy fantasy literature--I did more before it more or less swallowed the entire "science fiction" genre whole--you might want to chase down Barry Malzberg's short story "Concerto Accademico." It concerns a local orchestra rehearsing one of the Vaughan Williams syms. under the yoke of a pompous wannabe conductor; during the proceedings, a dragon comes to call. It's really quite a lovely little age-rediscovering-youth story, and it's even dedicated to Sir Adrian Boult. The collection in which I read it was called Dragon Fantastic; whether it's been anthologized elsewhere I don't know.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  5. Mr Bass

Mr Bass Chevelle Ma Belle

Delius is like a very diffuse Debussy. His music requires a very committed conductor to put over. Beecham was the best by far for that. To me it is pleasant background music. His operas are conceptually interesting but are very inconsistent section to section and completely nondramatic.

As for English composers, I have a few LPs of Purcell, Dowland, V Williams and Elgar. V Williams is the best of them IMO but I listen less and less to him. The only symphony I now have is the 9th mainly because Stokowski conducted it. The Tallis is a major masterpiece. Flos Campi, some of the choral works and Lark Ascending are pleasantly interesting. John Dunstable (1385-1453 ) might have been the greatest English composer but much of his music is presumably lost and it is in a style not likely to regain wide popularity.

Edit: How could I forget Holst? I have 4 different Planets LPs.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2014
    bluemooze likes this.
  6. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

I have the Holst and RVW EMI boxes and enjoy a lot of the music in both. I'll probably never listen to the RVW operas again.

7. coopmv

I have this 6-CD box which is still in its shrinkwrap ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  8. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I think you'll like Delius fine. He's got an impressionist quality, sort of a blend of Vaughan Williams and Debussy, if that's not a sacrilege to say. Curiously, the first time I heard his music is in a 1940s film: Alfred Hitchcock's The Saboteur . There's a fragment of Delius's tone poem, Night on the River played by the genial blind man who shelters Barry Kane in his woodland cabin. He even refers to Delius and his single similarity to him as they are both blind.

Joe071 and bluemooze like this.
  9. scompton

scompton Forum Resident

That's the one I have.

10. coopmv

This box should confirm for me if Holst was a one-trick pony of a composer ... :righton:

11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have heard it but I need to have another listen, which will be quite soon. :)

Also have Sol Gabetta performance of it.

12. coopmv

I think the version by Jacqueline Du Pre may be the definitive version ...

bluemooze likes this.
  13. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

14. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

Speaking of Delius, his works for violin are quite interesting.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

EasterEverywhere and bluemooze like this.
  15. Joe071

Joe071 Forum Resident

16. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I assume you mean the version with Sir John Barbirolli and the London Symphony Orchestra - she recorded it more than once.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  17. Soulpope

Soulpope Common one

[​IMG]

(LP EMI Germany 1C 065 92 064) beneath the heralded (and rightly so) offering by Du Pre+Barbirolli+LSO just mentioned by Hans, subject recording features another worthwhile perspective.....

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

He had at least three other good tricks: the two suites for wind band and the St. Paul's Suite for string orchestra are enjoyable lighter fare. Beyond that I'm not familiar with much that he wrote.

19. coopmv

You are right! :righton:

20. coopmv

This reminds me of Mussorgsky! LOL

21. coopmv

Du Pre studied with Rostropovich one summer during the cold war and the master cellist later commented that she would be the only cellist of her generation who could possibly surpass him in terms of virtuosity.

EasterEverywhere likes this.
  22. coopmv

Is she an important artist on Hanssler? Most of my Hanssler recordings are the Bach Cantatas by Helmut Rilling ...

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to: Bartók: Music for strings, Percussion and Celesta - Pierre Boulez/BBC Symphony Orchestra; Concerto for Orchestra - Pierre Boulez/New York Philharmonic Orchestra - Pierre Boulez Conducts Bartók - 4 CDs, Sony; dics 1

[​IMG]

[edited to correct a spelling error]

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  24. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have the Concerto for Orchestra and Miraculous Mandarin on SACD. At some point I need to try playing it in surround, as the jacket photo suggests that Boulez had the orchestra on all 4 sides.

25. Collector Man

Collector Man Well-Known Member

Knappertsbusch's Wagner Parsifal from Bayreuth in 1962 on Philips - long, a benchmark performance - is , in genuine stereo.

Joe071 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.