Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #61)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Oct 3, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

That's going to be a very different style of the Goldberg Variations.
    Classics Today has a review. Very positive.
    http://www.classicstoday.com/review/marco-salcitos-guitar-goldbergs-quietly-compelling/

I don't have very much classical guitar recordings at all. Just three CDs. Two Naxos recital recordings and the Kurt Rodarmer. I need to get some more and explore what classical guitar can do. So this guitar query could give me some ideas on what to get.

Robin L likes this.
  2. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I was recently offered some free tickets for this.
    http://www.92y.org/Event/The-Romeros.aspx

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I really don't know. There's a lot of possibilities—these are recordings worthy of the treatment given Robert Johnson in the recent Centennial remaster. And these are better pieces of audio engineering to begin with than Robert Johnson's. The version I listened to the most was an early CD reissue on EMI, not overly de-noised:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  4. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I've got Schubert's Symphonies 1 and 2 from the same series on LP, hearing the same thing. I should look at my copy.

[Goes to garage, gets copy.]

Mine is copyright 1980, no indication of "Digital" but I detect acute transistoritus. Thin and constrained just about covers it.

jukes likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Try David Russell:

Grandeur of the Baroque
    David Russell Plays Bach
    David Russell Plays Baroque Music
    Reflections of Spain: Spanish Favorites for Guitar

Robin L likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

One word of caution: quite possibly not an issue with new production, but an older Dynamic issue (Franck chamber music for piano and strings) is among the relatively small number of sets I've owned that developed "problems" precluding an accurate rip. If you haven't already, I'd suggest copying the discs to ensure you have a safe backup.

A shame about the Franck: the set has some nice music on it, and those Dynamic issues tend to be quite pricey.

7. drh

drh Talking Machine

My reaction: good luck, as you cry "This way, kitty! No, that way, kitty!" :laugh:

Robin L likes this.
  8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Oh, by the way, I'm not sure anyone has mentioned Rodrigo's Fantasia par un Gentilhombre yet, but that's another of my favorite classical guitar works. Segovia, its dedicatee (and very likely the "Gentilhombre" referenced in the title) recorded it with Enrique Jorda and the Symphony of the Air for American Decca, I think; I have it in an MCA reissue with the same cover art. It's a somewhat gentler account than average, I'd say, but really quite lovely in its own way. Keying into an earlier line of discussion, guitarist Norbert Kraft and harpsichordist Bonnie Silver recorded an attractive arrangement for those two instruments for Chandos but unaccountably omitted the last mvt., which rather spoils the fun for me.

9. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Good luck is always welcome, even if offered sarcastically. :laugh:

10. George P

Good news! Thanks.

11. John S

John S Forum Resident

Should be fun.
    From Wiki:

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

:cheers:

And of course the most unruly cat of all is Darius Miaoux--er, Milhaud...

John S likes this.
  13. John S

John S Forum Resident

Maybe we could discuss the purrfect Purr Elise. Or maybe a most rousing Eine Kleine Nact-meow-sik. :p

drh likes this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This twofer obviously hit the market later than the two singles I have in my collection ...

15. Ham Sandwich

Ham Sandwich Senior Member

Awesome!
    I just ordered Grandeur of the Baroque.

The title makes me grin. To me, baroque grandeur implies pipe organ. I'll have to adjust my brain to not expect a pipe organ when playing that CD. :laugh:

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Already ripped.

17. George P

Just ordered both for $10 shipped from a couple of amazon third party sellers.

Also, for those who are curious, the mastering on the two 1988 CDs Robin recommended is less noise reduced than the mastering on the ICON set, released in 2008. Review of the ICON box here. This will come as a surprise to no one, I am sure, but I thought it was worth mentioning. An anonymous member owns both sets and has made a short wav sample. The first excerpt is from the 1988 CD, the second is from the ICON box. The sample can be downloaded here.

Robin L likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the 1953 recording of the Saint Saens Cello Concerto from the above CD. Conductor is Grigory Stolyarov.

Mik, ToddBD and bluemooze like this.
  19. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Anyone have a current status on what's up with Universal's Australian 'Eloquence' label? No releases since May (a batch of releases by Alicia de Laroccha), and no updates on their Facebook page since about the same time.

I sure hope Universal/Decca haven't shut it down.

20. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

According to Presto Classical there have been 12 new releases in the last 2 months: http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/ne...former=&medium=all&label=eloquence&cat=&age=2

21. John S

John S Forum Resident

22. George P

When I was after more Polonaise recordings last year, I did some reading over at rmcr and they didn't have a lot of kind things to say about Berman's Polonaises. As I result, I went with Rubinstein's mono sets and Cherkassky's DG set. Rubinstein's first mono set is incredible! I also think that Ashkenazy does great with these works.

John S likes this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

The Mussorgsky is great.

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Don't waste your time or money on this dissonant doodling. Fortunately, the case was crushed during shipping, so I'm returning it for a refund.

[​IMG]

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

And speaking of pianists who are often the target of unkind remarks, I was surprised to see in this week's Arkivmusik specials e-mail that Lang Lang has released an all-Mozart album. Now, I think I've made it clear that I am no knee-jerk basher of the guy, and while I don't own any of his recordings I've heard some on the radio (particularly one of the Chopin cti.) that struck me as quite commendable, but I'll confess that his is not the first name (or even close to the first name) of which I would think when asked for someone temperamentally suited to Mozart. Just curious: has anybody here heard this disc? Any informed opinions?

And oh, by the way, if you want to hear some really, really *odd* Mozart, see if you can find Rachmaninoff's take on the first mvt. (theme and variations) of the "Turkish Rondo" sonata, recorded for Edison. I will carefully refrain from words like "wrongheaded," but it is truly one of a kind.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.