Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #64)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Dec 12, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Nice!

2. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

She humanizes this work rather than treating it as an exercise in counterpoint through majestic playing. Good sound--perhaps a trifle distant/reverberant.

[​IMG]

3. coopmv

I have this recording in my Bach collection. She was the first lady of JS Bach keyboard works in the former Soviet Union. I like her Bach better than I do S. Richter's ...

4. coopmv

Now playing SACD11 - S14 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  5. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

OK.... my list of what I have seen live. this list is definitely not complete. A lot of years under the bridge. I only just started keeping tickets and programs three years ago. i also did not include a lot of conductors since I am not exactly sure what would be seen as a major conductor.

Pianists: Yuja Wang, Andras Schiff, Alfred Brendel, Lars Vogt, Lise de Lasalle, Joyce Yang, Conrad Tao, Yefim Bronfman, Jean Yves Thibaudet, Orli Shaham, Emmanuel Ax, Khatia Buniatishvilli, Alexander Torazde, Alexandre Thaurad, Evgeny Kissen, Garrick Ohlsson, Behzod Abduraimov, Jeremy Denk, Haochen Zhang, Simon Trpceski, Murray Perahia, Leif Ove Andsnes

Cellists: Lynn Harrell, Yo-Yo Ma, Alisa Wellerstein, Gautier Capucon

Violinists: Leonidas Kavakos, Gil Shaham, Midori, Hilary Hahn, Christian Tetzlaff, Nadja Salerno Sonnenberg, Pinchas Zukerman

Conductors: Charles Dutoit, Michael Tilson Thomas, Sir Simon Rattle, Gustavo Dudamel, Esa Pekka Salonen, Lionel Bringuier, James Conlon, Zubin Mehta, James Gaffigan, Jaap Van Zweeden, Bramwell Tovey, Christoph Eschenbach, Pinchas Zukerman, Valery Gergiev, Sir Neville Mariner, Carl St. Clair,

Orchestras: Shanghai Philharmonic Orchestra, Los Angeles Philhamonic Orchestra, San Francisco Symphony Orchestra, Simon Bolivar Symphony Orchestra, London Symphonic Orchestra, Royal Philhamonic Orchestra, Israeli Philharmonic Orchestra, Los Angeles Chamber Music Orchestra, Berin Philharmonic Orchestra, Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra, St. Petersberg Philharmonic Orchestra, Czech Pilharmonic Orchestra,

Concert halls: Dorathy Chandler Pavilion, Disney Hall, The Ambassador Auditorium, Davies Hall, Segerstrom Hall, Lensec Performing Arts Center, Salle Playel, Hahn Hall, Coplay Hall, Hollywood Bowl, Smith Center, Teresa Carreno Concert Hall, Weill Hall, Sherwood Auditorium, Campbell Hall, Barbican Concert Hall, Valley Performing Arts Center,

bluemooze, 5-String and Moonfish like this.
  6. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Hmm, I came across this recording in my used record store. Now I am thinking I should have purchased it! :oops:
    I wonder if it is still there....
    So you would recommend her Bach, Bachtoven?

7. Moonfish

Moonfish Forum Resident

Wonderful recording. I tend to always reach for Argerich when it comes to Chopin's Preludes. *deep sigh*

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I've not heard her Beethoven, but I definitely recommend her Bach. Her Goldberg Variations is a great performance, too. Don't forget that she premiered Shostakovich's Preludes and Fugues, too, so her two version would be worth getting if you like his music. The earlier one on Melodiya has slightly better (e.g faster) performances, but the newer Hyperion has better sound.

Moonfish likes this.
  9. coopmv

Now playing CD7 - Brahms Symphonies No. 2-3 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

10. coopmv

Even after some 20 years of her passing, Nikolayeva has remained one of the best for her Bach performances. I have three of the four volumes of her WTC. Unfortunately, the missing volume may be permanently OOP ... :sigh:

11. coopmv

Now playing SACD12, the last CD - S15 from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

This is one of my favorite renditions of Bach's The Art Of Fugue, it's simply amazing!

13. drh

drh Talking Machine

Update: a while back, I had some not terribly flattering words to say about Dudamel and the Beethoven 5th. Today I came into the middle of the 7th in what turned out to be a recording also by Dudamel. It impressed me as a much better account, so maybe there's hope for the guy yet! ;)

14. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Bruno Walter/Columbia S.O. [NYPO is good too, sound quality isn't even close] and Karajan/BSO in the 1960's.

15. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

HvK's 1970's recordings have many, many production/recording missteps. The interpretations are not so different, but the Rock styled productions get in the way of the music.

16. coopmv

IMO, the Brahms Symphony No. 3 by Jochum with the LSO sounds pretty good to me ...

17. coopmv

Portions of Symphony No. 15 have some uncanny resemblance to Rossini's Barber of Seville and Wagner's Meistersinger ... Sound like plagiarism to me. :confused:

18. coopmv

:whistle:

19. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I had that disc, although it was superseded by the DG box.

20. coopmv

I pretty much have all of her Bach recordings ...

21. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Looking at Scott's listed reminded me of some omissions:
    Pianists: Ohlssen, Denk (and Andsnes sort of)
    Violinists: Midori
    Also - Guitarist: Bream
    Clarinet: Sabine Meyer, Stoltzman,

22. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

My favorite Brahms 3rd is Klemperer/Philharmonia, though the Abbado/Berlin recording is a VERY close second. I also like HvK's 60's recording with Berlin, and Solit's late 70's account with the Chicago Symphony as part of his Brahms cycle (that doesn't get enough credit in my opinion)…strong candidates for third place, depending on my mood.

23. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable now…some nice playing on here, and works I am not very familiar with. Got it for $1, a tad scratchy, but I can deal with it. The overall sound quality is your typical London Treasury…full bodied, resonant, lush, and naturally quiet surface, save for the person who didn't really take care of it before I got it.
    [​IMG]

Soulpope, bluemooze, Mik and 2 others like this.
  24. coopmv

The only Rachman's CD I have includes the Rhapsody and I am pretty sure I do not have this LP, as I would have remembered such LP cover ...

25. coopmv

How do you like HvK's last Beethoven cycle, i.e 1984 cycle? Is that better than the 77 cycle? He is probably the only conductor who has 4 Beethoven cycles to his credit ...

I am actually not so familiar with his EMI Philharmonia cycle since I breezed through it only once.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.