Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #66)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by hodgo, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Any matrix info handy? This is one of my favorite Deccas

Robin L likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member

They sell online, so the pickings are thinner, but it's still the best in the city for used classical.

3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing CD3 of the Mendelssohn Series from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  4. coopmv

I think I did buy from Acadmey through Amazon MarketPlace once for a pretty hard-to-find early music CD. I got it for a real great price since few people are into early music ... :righton:

5. Walter H

Walter H Santa's Helper

I know many of us here are experienced old geezer collectors, but here's a tip for anyone who's more of a newbie: in the USA, these London Stereo Treasury LPs do turn up. When they're reasonably priced, and in decent condition, and they're the English pressings (the US-pressed ones are later and tend to be dodgy).. buy, buy, buy! You've got a very good chance of getting an excellent record (with a bit of luck, for short money!)

Scott Wheeler, ToddBD and Robin L like this.
  6. coopmv

I like the energy level found on this CD, which was probably recorded in the 60's or early 70's as it did not suffer from the excessive legatos ...

7. coopmv

I have a good number of London Stereo Treasury LP's and believe they were all UK pressed since I did not buy many US pressed classical LP's during my LP buying days ...

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thinking back, wasn't that Mendelssohn 3d recording also issued on Vox somewhere along the line? I vaguely recall having it in that form once upon a time.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Ah, the golden years of good English pressings... Decca, HMV and Columbia LPs from the late 1950s/early 1960s were the best, sonically and pressing-wise.

Robin L likes this.
  10. coopmv

How about the Telefunken labels? I have a few LP's on the Telefunken label. Did Telefunken later become Teldec, which was subsequently acquired by WarnerMusic?

11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

It can all be found on the internet:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Teldec

12. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I wish I could bend time like you so I can listen to more classical music! :edthumbs:

ToddBD likes this.
  13. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

VAI has begun to issue DVDs of New York City Ballet live performances in Montreal from the late 50s and 60s. This is significant for me as there is remarkably little video available of Balanchine's (and Robbins') work. Volume 1 was included in my Solti Ring purchase and I was just reading the description of Volume 2, which includes Concerto Barocco, Balanchine's only major ballet to music by Bach, specifically the Concerto for Two Violins. Imagine my surprise when I noted that one of the violin soloists was Henryk Szeryng.

14. coopmv

Now playing CD36 - Beethoven Cello Sonatas Nos 4-5 with Rostropovich from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  15. George P

George P Notable Member

[​IMG]

The Celibidache - Bruckner-fest continues!

Mik, bluemooze and Soulpope like this.
  16. coopmv

17. coopmv

I am shocked that Henryk Szeryng actually performed at the Balanchine's ballet ...

18. coopmv

Now playing CD37 - Beethoven Piano Trio and Quintet from the following box for a first listen ...
    [​IMG]

J.A.W., Mik and bluemooze like this.
  19. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable...a nice mono plum dog of "Symphonia Domestica," CSO/Reiner. Frankly, every other performance of this music I have ever heard pales in comparison to this one...
    [​IMG]

J.A.W., Mik, bluemooze and 2 others like this.
  20. EasterEverywhere

EasterEverywhere Forum Resident

Most thrift stores here in Albuquerque,stopped stocking vinyl around 2011-12.They have the same old tired junk with not much added.Not like back in the 90s,when you could find Scroll Victor or Columbia Viva-Tonal classical sets,not to mention Capitol classical,Belock Everests,Mercury,RCA,London,etc. from the 50s and 60s by the armload in pretty much unplayed condition.

21. EasterEverywhere

I was just playing this tonight.A $1.99 Hastings purchase today.Stunning performance.Completely blows away Lenny's older Shostakovich 5th from the late 50s.While I still love Mravinsky,and the Stoky on Everest,this may be my new favorite.

[​IMG]

John S, Fafner88, ToddBD and 2 others like this.
  22. EasterEverywhere

I have it on the London Blueback.

23. EasterEverywhere

The only London Stereo Treasurys I own are records that,I think,were not issued in the US in any other form,like the Britten Prince of The Pagodas,and the Antal Dorati Philharmonia Hungarica Haydn Symphonies.The Britten being an early STS with a large orange label,that I believe predates the insanely expensive Decca Ace of Diamonds issue,and I believe was the first stereo issue of this recording.

24. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I see more than 70 triangles! :)

25. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have that performance on one of the Living Stereo SACDs. I still find the Strauss tone poems not to my taste. Maybe one day the penny will drop (as it did for Berlioz).

TeacFan and ToddBD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.