Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #68)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 16, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

That's a tough question.

Richter isn't best represented by box sets, IMO. Each of them has their own flaws. The one you asked about it is certainly very good (though a number of the performances are from later years when he was far from his peak), but the EMI Icon box is very good as well.

[​IMG]

The Prague one came the closest, in terms of performance and variety. I am hoping that one gets released by Brilliant one of these days.

[​IMG]

The recent Schubert box is of course limited to Schubert recordings, but it's the best Richter box that has been released, IMO.

Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This LP is a prime candidate for digitization as I do not believe the recording has ever been remastered and released on CD ...

I also like the LP cover and perhaps I can make a decent CD cover art out of it.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2015
  3. coopmv

My collection is acceptable, though George P still has me beat handily when it comes to piano works. My next focus will be mainly hardware upgrade for my study and hopefully the financial markets continue to cooperate. You do have some serious turntable ... :agree::righton:

bluemooze likes this.
  4. coopmv

Now playing CD26 - Sylvius Leopold Weiss Lute Works, Vol. 1 & 2 by Lutz Kirchhof Baroque Lute & Theorbo Lute from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze and Mik like this.
  5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I've got two 15 hour flights coming up on which they will get plenty of use.

6. coopmv

7. john greenwood

Yes - I've considered the AK players, but as I would never be without my phone, it would mean carrying around a second device. Moreover, in my case, I would never have heard the difference on a train. Even though the Etymotics reduce ambient noise very effectively.

8. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

In my opinion it is very much worth. Ordered it immediately when it was released (purely German version: no English/Finnish subtitles, nothing, therefore a bit difficult to follow the dialogues). As a film about a mystic vision-seer living medieval life, there's a lot of telling silences. Quite fine cinematography (by Axel Block), and von Trotta is steady, experienced director. Block had already shooted few films for von Trotta, so the hard core of the behind the camera team is used to work with each others. Barbara Sukowa has made great roles already couple of decades. end result is nicely meditative film.

9. Casagrande

Casagrande Forum Resident

That's right. He never recorded the third symphony.

10. john greenwood

Starting the day with a French orchestral potpourri conducted by Mr. von Karajan. It's from the big EMI box. I'm not keeping track, so I will likely never know if I have listened to everything in the box.

bluemooze likes this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Nova Cantica - Latin Songs Of The High Middle Ages" performed by Dominique Vellard and Emmanuel Bonnardot on DHM.

Just two unaccompanied male voices but it sounds great.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mik and john greenwood like this.
  12. john greenwood

You seem to listen Medieval music more than Renaissance. I am the opposite, although my enjoyment of Medieval music is growing.

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

He didn't, as far as I know he never recorded Symphony 3. He recorded Symphonies 2 and 4-7 in his early EMI years, Symphonies 4-7 for DG, and Symphonies 1-2 and 4-6 in his later EMI years.

[edit]

Just noticed that Casagrande already responded.

14. moops

moops Senior Member

Funny ....... I was just going to ask the same question. Where to start ?
    The new Complete Decca, Phillips & DG Recordings box has dropped to a great price, but I feel I may be biting off more than I can chew with that one ..... it's a bit daunting !
    The EMI Icon box may be better as a starter.

15. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I am especially looking forward to the eventual (hopefully) release of:
    "...This is the first of three such limited edition box sets of L'Oiseau-Lyre recordings to be released by Decca, with sets for the Classical era and Medieval & Renaissance period to follow."​
    Quote is from http://www.hogwood.org/news/decca-50-cd-box-set.html

zen likes this.
  16. john greenwood

That does look promising.

zen likes this.
  17. George P

Honestly, I'd start with two of the Olympia/Regis/Alto CDs(Same mastering on each label, Alto is the latest isue.) Superb performances (these are among the best Richter CDs I own), very good sound and only $5 each, new on amazon.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Byrdsmaniac, Soulpope and bluemooze like this.
  18. moops

moops Senior Member

Cheers ! :cheers:

19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD. Thanks again for the reminder! :wave:

Bachtoven likes this.
  20. coopmv

This reminded me of a VHS tape my long-time German lady friend made for me back in 1985 on the 300 anniversary of the birth of JS Bach. Unfortunately, not only was the content not in English, the broadcast standard also did not allow me to watch the tape, i.e. all I saw was snow and I heard some muffled sound ... :sigh:

21. coopmv

I like both ...

22. coopmv

Is Alto similar to Regis in the sense that they both tend to re-issue recordings licensed from other record companies?

23. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

PAL in Europe, NTSC in North America.

24. coopmv

Unlike today when I can tweak the Properties on my DVD R/W drive connected to my computer and watch the DVD intended for a different region, there was no such luck with the VHS player in the old days. Even so, I have yet to go out of my way to buy DVD with the PAL format ...

25. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm combining two birthdays today! (This is the SACD version.)

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.