Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #70)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gloomrider

gloomrider Well-Known Member

Thank you for this. I was thinking about purchasing it but wanted to hear some first. Wow:

bluemooze and Byrdsmaniac like this.
  2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

This box is quite nice. As usual, I have yet to have the chance to go for a second listen ...

bluemooze likes this.
  3. coopmv

CD or LP? I have the original LP set but have the CD's in a big box ...

4. coopmv

It matters little to me since my entire classical music collection does not have any new blood conductors anyway. :agree::winkgrin:

jukes likes this.
  5. coopmv

Now playing CD11 - Beethoven Concerto No. 1, Sonata Op. 54 with Munch and the BSO from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

More vinyl--an excellent performance and recording. Vinyl helps to tame the early digital harshness.

[​IMG]

bluemooze likes this.
  7. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

Pretty much the standard "great discussion, friendly, lots of ideas exchanged"...at least that's the official face they put on it. I think he people they want are locked into contracts elsewhere...

jukes likes this.
  8. coopmv

Now playing CD8 - Bruckner 8th from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

Mik, Robin L and bluemooze like this.
  9. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

I have the LPs but these were the CDs from "The Baroque Era" box.

[​IMG]

10. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Earlier , say 30 years ago, I subscribed Mahler's (grandiose) idea* that a symphony must include (or somesuch) the whole universe (or somesuch). Today I'm more of a formalist guy. An artwork must have a lucid form and recognizable structure(s). A symphony does not need choirs & solo singers. If a composer can't express his symphonic ideas without them he'd better write Lieds or pinpanalley stuff. :)

(* An idea he expressed also while visiting Sibelius; I've, so to speak, moved from Mahlerian camp to Sibelian camp - thanks to composers and musical thinkers like Brahms, Debussy and Stravinsky.)

ToddBD and drh like this.
  11. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now listening to "Handel - Orlando" performed by The Academy Of Ancient Music conducted by Christopher Hogwood on L'Oiseau-Lyre.

featuring:
    (the lovely and talented) Emma Kirkby - soprano
    Arleen Auger - soprano
    Catherine Robbin - mezzo-soprano
    James Bowman - countertenor
    David Thomas - bass

From "The Baroque Era" box.

[​IMG]

Mik, ToddBD and john greenwood like this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Sometimes it's a heady experience to have the whole world in your hands, but sometimes we crave something on a more personal scale.

[​IMG]

NorthNY Mark and jukes like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Louie CK has a great bit where he describes packing the kids in the family car for a vacation, loading everything in the trunk and then closing the door for his wife. He then describes the slow walk all around the car, with everyone inside, as his vacation. :D

alankin1, jukes and drh like this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

This theme goes back a long way. Here's a chorus from "My Wife's Gone to the Country," which I have sung by Bob Roberts (big entertainment name in those days) on an Edison cylinder from around 1905 or so:

My wife's gone to the country,
    hooray, hooray!
    She thought best--
    I need the rest--
    that's why she went away.
    She took the children with her,
    HOORAY! HOORAY!
    Now I'm with you if you're with me,
    my wife's gone, away!

Now, if that were sung in German, we'd call it "lieder," we'd all think it was something deeply profound (sort of the way the humble "record album" seems ever so much more meaningful when rendered as "schallplattenalbum"), and it would be on-topic fare for the CMC! :D

jukes and George P like this.
  15. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Indeedy :D

16. alankin1

alankin1 Forum Resident

Johann Sebastian BachComplete Lute Suites: BWV 995, 996, 997, 1006a — Sharon Isbin, guitar (Virgin Classics)

[​IMG]

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

18. George P

I have this CD, which does have the performance you want. I just spot tested the sound, as I hadn't hear it in awhile, and at first, I thought that performance sounded noise reduced, as there was no hiss and it sounded a bit muffled, but the other tracks on the CD, recorded around the same time as the Kreisleriana, clearly have ample tape hiss and don't sound muffled.

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks, much appreciated. Do you still like it? :)

I was thinking of getting this CD, which seems to have the 1962 studio version of Arabeske (your CD has the 1968 live version) but is missing Kreisleriana:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. George P

I am too tired now to listen to it all, sorry. But I know that Kreisleriana is one of those classic recordings.

I was thinking of getting this CD, which seems to have the 1962 studio version of Arabeske (your CD has the 1968 live version) but is missing Kreisleriana:

21. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

OK, thanks.

22. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Spectacular playing and sound.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
  23. coopmv

I have the LP set as well and my CD version is in the following box ...

[​IMG]

24. coopmv

I have this CD in my collection as well. It must be the only version of classical music on guitar for me ...

25. coopmv

Now playing CD12 - Beethoven Appassionata and Funeral March from the following box for a first listen ...

[​IMG]

ToddBD, J.A.W. and bluemooze like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.