Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

John Field was supposed to have influenced Chopin. John O'Conor was also a student of either Wilhelm Kempff or Fred Gulda.

2. coopmv

It was by the NYPO. I have the same set and alerted Jay of the availability of this remastered set, which is now his favorite Mahler set ...

3. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Found this with a lil help from Google. :)

Biography

"The Irish pianist John O'Conor has earned a worldwide reputation as a masterful interpreter of the Classic and early-Romantic repertoires.

Following initial studies in his native Dublin he studied in Vienna with the renowned pedagogue Dieter Weber, won First Prize at the Beethoven International Piano Competition in Vienna in 1973 and made a special study of Beethoven with the legendary German pianist Wilhelm Kempff.

Since then he has toured the world in recital and concerto appearances and makes regular visits to Europe, the USA, Japan, Korea and China.

His recordings on the Telarc label have brought him particular renown. CD Review described his box set of the complete Beethoven Sonatas as "Beethoven playing at its best"; the New York Times named his recording of the Beethoven Bagatelles as the best available; his recording of the John Field Nocturnes spent many weeks on the Billboard charts and his recently released recordings of the complete Beethoven Piano Concertos with the London Symphony Orchestra conducted by Andreas Delfs have been greeted with great acclaim.

For his services to music he has been decorated with "l'Ordre des Arts et des Lettres" by the French Government, the "Ehrenkreuz fur Wissenschaft und Kunst" by the Austrian Government and has received many other awards."

4. coopmv

I have many recordings by Wilhelm Kempff, on both CD and on LP. He was indeed one of the greatest pianists from the 20th century ...

5. coopmv

Now playing CD3 from this set ...

[​IMG]

6. coopmv

Now playing CD4 from this set ...

[​IMG]

7. Jay F

Jay F New Member

No, the M8 is performed by the LSO. The Israel Philharmonic does Kindertotenlieder.

8. George P

George P Notable Member

BTW guys, I found a great used copy of the Sokolov Chopin preludes today. Only a small mark on the bar code, CD is perfect. If anyone wants it for $9 plus s/h, PM me. I can send it on Monday. Great sound and performance on this one!

9. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

After all classical solo / church organ recordings were missing completely in my collection - so I tried out these fine organ works played on an organ build by the well respected organ builder Aristide Cavaille-Coll ( 1811 - 1899 ) in the catherdal on Rouen. Sounds good !

Attached Files:

10. coopmv

Now playing this CD from my baroque collection ...

[​IMG]

11. Graphyfotoz

Speaking of that BVT.....

I was sent this Cd FREE from a member on my other forum....it got annihilated in the mail.
    I couldn't believe it and was most disappointed!!
    I'm VERY interested in finding a used like new copy for a reasonable price to replace it.

[​IMG]

12. Graphyfotoz

13. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I don't recommend this label - provided, you can get the same recordings from Naxos or somewhere else (if not, get Iron Needle). I have 1 Iron Needle CD - Fritz Kreisler playing Beethoven sonatas. Besides no-noising (obvious but acceptable), what really ruins it for me is that cheap artifical spatializer for separating violin and piano. Personally, if I want any DSP I prefer to apply it in my player via plugins.

14. coopmv

In all my years listening to CD, I have only experienced two problems - dropout or infinite repeats but never crackle (as in pops and clicks) and hiss (as in tape) ...

15. I have most of the RR releases but this one is still missing in my collection. However, I have this Mary Preston recording on RR.

[​IMG]

http://www.positive-feedback.com/Issue41/marypreston.htm

16. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Got that disc about a month ago. Very impressive on first listening.

17. coopmv

Just finished playing CD4 - St John Passion from this set. CD5 is next ...

[​IMG]

18. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

Are you going to pick up the new John Eliot Gardiner box? Or do you already own most of it?

19. Graphyfotoz

20. coopmv

I have had all his individual JS Bach passions and oratorios on Archive, not the big box for a number of years.

21. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set - S1 and S2 ...

[​IMG]

22. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Attached Files:

23. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Very nice Schubert symphonies.

24. coopmv

This is probably the second re-issue of the same big box. I also believe the original individual releases were already in digital. As such, these recordings probably were not remastered for this latest release ...

25. coopmv

Jay, I think John might be referring to the following set. The set includes St Matthew Passion, St John Passion, Mass in B and Christmas Oratorio. I already own all the individual works. All these works were recorded prior to 1990. The set you posted may include mostly later recordings ...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.