Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #8)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by -Alan, Feb 1, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. butch

butch Senior Member

Sundazed??! That ain't (sic) Classic Records BTW! Bob Irwin and company have been good to me BUT that example you gave was inapropos. Sundazed changed the place they had pressed at from Gloversville, which closed down and they moved their operations to elsewhere and their quality has been spotty ever since. I also had noticed they are not using 180 gm on everything anymore BUT rather some so-called hi definition vinyl on their new issues. In addition, the last time I checked they are not concentrating on classical music either.......

2. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

It certainly looks like you and I will NEVER be ready to listen to 78's. :winkgrin:

3. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

Listening to Piano Sonatas Nos. 2 & 3 performed by Alan Weiss from this set right now.

Attached Files:

4. coopmv

I have the Karajan 1977 Beethoven in the glorious DG LP package and all the discs are in pristine condition, played only once or twice in their life times. I do have 4000+ classical LP's. Just about all are in pristine condition ...

5. butch

butch Senior Member

More for the people who still have gramophones! I still can't see that dog listening to his master's voice on a CD for all things! A SACD perhaps but not a CD.:laugh:

6. coopmv

I have two TT's that can play 78's. But I do not have any 78's and do not have the stylus to play them either. I was just referring to the surface noise on those 78's. If Jay and I have problems with the surface noise on the vinyl, forget the 78's.

7. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

What's about a distant future when all players will ONLY do some descendants of blu-ray? I suppose, that surviving grammophones still will be in a rather good shape. :winkgrin:

8. butch

butch Senior Member

There was almost an unspoken rule amongst classical and to a equal degree jazz enthusiasts as well: you don't have to eat off your records!?! Or even utilize them as frisbees. It's a great pleasure to go through a bunch of records and come across gems for almost gratis because most people (quite fortunately in this case) don't give a darn about classical anymore. and I see all kinds of CDs being discarded now as people are moving on to MP3s and the like.

9. coopmv

If you are talking about regular redbook audio CD players will no longer be made and audio blu-ray players cannot play regular CD's, then I may be forced to go all digital. Hopefully, CD/DVD drive, even of the blu-ray variety, will allow me to rip my CD's ... :winkgrin:

10. coopmv

I don't see myself going to MP3 completely. I would, however, like to try out flac files. Unfortunately, there is a bit more work I have to do to listen to those files ...

11. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Hell, no.

12. butch

butch Senior Member

You two are annoyed by the surface noise like I was with all the CDs which were spawned from digital hell! You know the ones that are schreeching sounding, etched and flat tonally!Some LP fanatics would characterize all CDs in that way! :winkgrin: I won't do that but I listen to CD as a necessary evil if anything......

Not even descendants of Blu-ray mate. when all the dust settles the lowly LP will be standing. Intriguing, isn't it? After all this time they still will exist. The poor CD and the Blu-ray will dissapear into obsucrity when everything goes on demand OR done via download . People will have central servers most probably not needing the excess of any additional clutter. And this critique comes from someone who has well over 15,000 pieces of recorded music on a myriad number of genres.

13. coopmv

Thanks to George that I can enjoy all the Cortot's, Schnabel's and (Edwin) Fischer's recordings originally made on 78 on CD, masterfully remastered by MOT or Marston. :righton:

14. butch

butch Senior Member

Sundazed is a Chevy compared to Classic Records' Aston Martin! I don't see what a cheaply made Sundazed has to do with the higher priced and higher quality classical reissues from companies like Classic? :eek:

15. coopmv

I stopped buying vinyl in 88 or 89 and doubt I will ever buy another. I have been stocking up on SACD's and now have over 200 classical titles but still no SACD player since the vets bills my 3 doxies have accumulated have helped blown away what I have originally budgeted for the player ... :sigh:

16. butch

butch Senior Member

With all the top end rolled off !;) I was listening to a CD of Heifitz's work transfered from 78. Not that I'm a fan of 78s BUT there was a lack of spatial information when compared to the originals. BUT Heifetz's performances were still intact and the magic was there BUT the CD lacked something. Then again the original recording format was not something to behold either. Now I'll incur the wrath of 78 lovers. I can't wait to slag on Edison cylinders as well.......

17. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I sure don't want to hear surface noise on a classical LP. It just ruins the experience. Pop and rock, it's not such a big deal. Beat and the sound itself take surface noise to a point where I don't notice it as much on pop recordings.

I noticed that kind of etched sound on CDs -- mostly pop -- when I had this particularly revealing pair of speakers. I use a much less resolving system now, and there are hardly any CDs I don't enjoy.

18. Jay F

Jay F New Member

I didn't say it did. You dragged Classic into the conversation after the fact.

19. butch

butch Senior Member

I guess the OPPO Blu-Ray player wasn't in your budget then? Coop I have tons of SACDs as well BUT feel like that format will give way to Blu-Ray which will give way to Hi-Def downloads and music lovers using servers as the eventual reality of it all.

20. Jay F

Jay F New Member

Hint: don't buy CDs for a month.

21. butch

butch Senior Member

Jay just how many classical reissues has Sundazed done? And in what thread are we in? How of their reissues many are 180 gm now? Just asking......

22. coopmv

Not all the reconstructed/remastered CD's from 78's were created equal. I can hear excellent piano tone on the Cortot's, Schnabel and Fischer's CD's. Maybe George can share some of his insights?

23. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

3 doxies? Solace yourself, you've already got a surround system! :winkgrin: :cool:

24. butch

butch Senior Member

At that rate , Coop could keep the doxies in good health for quite some time to come!:winkgrin:

25. coopmv

Software is more important than hardware. Most of my redbook CDP's are considered "near" high-end and I still get plenty mileage, i.e. enjoyment out of them ...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.