Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I haven't.

I doubt you would have forgotten, it's a one in a million performance.

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Now, due to Robin's post:

[​IMG]

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

While on the subject of Horowitz concert recordings, there's a 1948 Tchaikowsky 1st with the NYPO under Bruno Walter that's a whale of an exciting performance, too. When I think of Walter, I usually think of a certain degree of geniality. Not here! (I have it on a label called ASdisc.)

4. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

5. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

It's cheap, easy to track down. Not at all bravura but very musical.

I remember hearing multiple recordings of Horowitz performing the Rachmaninoff third piano concerto back in the seventies—was it on a Seraphim reissue? Listened to radio broadcasts comparing versions and then went out and bought the LPs. I recall a thirties performance—assume it was H.M.V./EMI sourced—brilliant in execution but dim in sound. But I really wasn't turned on by the piece at the time, it seemed amorphous and disconnected.

There's this moment in the finale where Argerich just takes off and the orchestra sounds like they're catching up. There's something about her impulsiveness in that moment that draws one in. The focus she brings to the concerto's various musical threads grabbed my attention the way Schnabel's way with Beethoven grabs my attention. Hearing her performance for the first time, I fell in love with the concerto. Probably should give the Horowitz/Barbirolli another listen.

6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Currently spinning-Cool stuff

51+OtJlZu7L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

7. George P

Horowitz's recording with Barbirolli makes Argerich's look tame. It doesn't displace her accomplishment, but in terms of pure wow factor, the Horowitz/Barbirolli is unmatched.

8. Rose River Bear

The Horowitz is much more controlled sounding than Argerich. He clearly was in top form that night.

9. George P

Those who wish to hear this performance can do so over at youtube - I think this excerpt is particularly revealing - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8IDWcwDX88&feature=related

10. Rose River Bear

Anyone else have this?

11. George P

No, I haven't even heard of it.

12. Rose River Bear

Great composer. Here is a review of the Cd by David Hurwitz.

How do you describe wonderful music that few if any listeners have ever heard? Norwegian composer Geirr Tveitt might be said to resemble Bartók, in that he evolved an obviously modern musical idiom that's steeped in the folk music of his native country but never sounds merely imitative. Even his best-known work, the set of One Hundred Tunes from Hardanger, completely avoids the cloying cuteness so typical of stylized, Romanticized folk song settings. On the other hand, Tveitt is interested neither in Bartók's formal control nor the great Hungarian's more chilling, expressionistic side.

Indeed, the composer Tveitt most resembles stylistically (without actually sounding anything like him) is Manuel de Falla. Tveitt's Piano Concerto No. 4 "Aurora Borealis", actually a tone poem in three movements for piano and orchestra, is a sort of northern take on Nights in the Gardens of Spain. There's the same mystery, the same luminous instrumental textures, the same gorgeously evocative keyboard writing and close integration of the soloist within the larger ensemble. But the two pieces sound nothing alike: instead of Falla's supremely polished surfaces and delicate impressionistic colors, Tveitt offers rugged textures and bold rhythms more suited to the Norwegian folk idiom that lies at the heart of his expressive personality. Also like Falla's piece, the concerto's three movements are organized in a slow-fast-slow pattern. Tveitt's program is: (1) The Northern Lights awakening above the autumn colors; (2) Glittering in the winter heavens; and (3) Fading away in the bright night of spring. And that's just what you hear. Need I say more?

Variations on a Folksong from Hardanger, for two pianos and orchestra, certainly adds a welcome blast of fresh repertoire to a scandalously neglected medium, but one that's fortunately well served by the likes of Mozart, Piston, Martinu, Poulenc, and a few others. At slightly more than 30 minutes, this single-movement piece is even longer than the concerto, but there's never a dull moment. The theme itself is lovely and quite memorable, making the variations relatively easy to follow, and Tveitt's resourceful handling of his solo and orchestral forces guarantees an extremely pleasing listen. Both works date from roughly the same period, 1947-49, and we can only be grateful that they escaped destruction in the fire that consumed the majority of this excellent composer's music in the early 1970s.

As to the performances, my only quibble is that Naxos neglects to specify which of the two pianists takes the solo part in the concerto, though I assume that it's Havard Gimse (since he gets top billing), who along with his colleague Gunilla Süssmann plays extremely well throughout. In general, music for two pianos tends to suffer from excessive banging and clanging, but even the most vigorous passages here never degenerate into mere noise, and the balances between keyboards and orchestra in both works are especially well judged by the players and engineers alike. Toss into the pot brilliant orchestral accompaniments under the sympathetic baton of Bjarte Engeset, as well as vibrant recorded sound, and you have the perfect disc to convince yourself that yes, there still is great music out there that has yet to see the light of day. Fabulous! [11/23/2002]
    --David Hurwitz, ClassicsToday.com

13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Yes, I have the Tviett: Piano Concerto No. 4 on Naxos. I think it is very interesting. I like it.

14. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

On vinyl:

Scriabin
    Sonata No. 3, Op. 23
    16 Preludes
    Horowitz
    1956 (?)
    RCA Shaded Dog Mono Long Play: "NEW ORTHOPHONIC" HIGH FIDELITY

15. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

More vinyl:

Beethoven
    Sonata Nos. 9, Op. 47 and No. 5, Op. 24 for Violin and Piano
    Rubinstein/Szeryng
    Recorded 1958
    RCA Shaded Dog Mono Long Play: "NEW ORTHOPHONIC" HIGH FIDELITY

16. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

To me Horovitz sounds tired and bland on thess Mozart symphonies.
    I was very disappointed. An ubderachivement imo...
    This piano playing atm. by Nikolas Demedenko sounds classes better, more exciting and interesting, deeper plus a much nicer tone with a lot more ahdes and light and colors...anyway.

I just wasn't drawn into the DG recording. Maybe next time ?

This Schubert material is really great oth. hyperion is always top notch when it comes to sound qualiyt..

Attached Files:

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Regarding Geirr Tveitt, I have another disc I like for the interpretation and the sound. I believe I have seen this disc mentioned as a sound demo disc, perhaps it was John Marks(?).

It is on BIS CD-987

Stavanger Symphony Orchestra, conducted by Ole Kristian Ruud. Tviett: 100 Folk-Tunes from Hardanger -- Suites 1 & 2.

1998. Engineer: Jens Braun. Neumann microphones; Studer AD19 microphone pre-amplifier; Yamaha 02R mixer; Genex GX 8000 MOD recorder; Spendor SA300; Stax.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Now playing one of my beloved Living Stereo SACDs. I nearly chose a combo of Reiner/Munch in the "desert island conductor" thread because of these discs.

[​IMG]

19. OE3

OE3 Senior Member

Silvestrov

One of ECM's great composers, along with Arvo Pärt. Silvestrov is Ukrainian, Pärt is Estonian, born two years apart in the mid-1930's. Both are champions of each other's work. Musically, Silvestrov can be more outwardly and traditionally modernist, whereas Pärt has his own thing going on: minimalist tintinnabuli. But they are not always dissimilar: a quick listen to Silvestrov's music for solo piano and this new release, a cappella music for choir, is illustrative of the Ukrainian's natural grasp of the 'holy minimalist' idiom. Highly recommended if you enjoy vocal music (and currently on sale for $11 at Amazon).

Attached Files:

20. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

This looks like a great listen for the upcoming Easter Weekend Bogey! :righton:

21. Graphyfotoz

Graphyfotoz Forum Classaholic

Get a chance Bogey pick this CD up of Richter!
    Multi award winner and a great addition to your collection!!

[​IMG]

Can be had new from Presto Classical for lil under $11 shipped. :righton:
    http://www.prestoclassical.co.uk/r/Regis/RRC1199

22. Baron Von Talbot

Ah, the Eroica ! On of the first symphonies that caught my attention ( a prtty raer readin by Felix Weingartner in Mono) highyll recommended, too.

Kicking off the easter festivities my pick entfto Reformation with a painting of Martin Luther in front of the pope the pope on the cover, the music is nice and festive at the same time - Claudio Abbado and the London Philharmonic Orchestra with Symphonies Vol. 1 & 5 by Felix Mendelssohn. DG Masters series.

23. Baron Von Talbot

Later on tonight I hope to find the time to listen to some female vocals. Not a big fan of opera and classical vocals - but Mozart Aries are different, their beauty touches the listener immediately.

Attached Files:

24. George P

Now Playing:

[​IMG]

Mahler
    Symphony 3
    Sinopoli
    Philharmonia Orchestra

25. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Jim,
    Yet another wonderful recording from CPO. Gorgeous with depth and excellent sound.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.