Classical Corner Classical Music Corner (thread #9)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, Mar 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Now playing Goldberg Variations by Christiane Jaccottet from this set ...

[​IMG]

2. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

Was it within a set, or a single disc?

3. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Single disc, copied from the source tape. Straightforward mono. Here's a tiny cover, might jog your memory:

[​IMG]

4. mkolesa

mkolesa Forum Resident

this performance is legendary and it's significance is hard to put into words. suffice it to say that it's a recording worth seeking out.

5. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I grabbed a nice cheap copy earlier this year.

6. Bogey

Bogey Spy Vinyl User

I just happen to notice there was a box set of Furt Bruckner and did not know if that was what you had.
    [​IMG]

I am surprised that his set did not net more Bruckner:

http://cgi.ebay.com/Wilhelm-Furtwangler-Legends-Melodiya-Limited-16CD-/290424367136

I have a couple from it and they are quite good. Would not mind getting them all.

7. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

I'd say you're probably right George (Wand Beethoven box). My box was pressed in Germany and looks to be pretty old. This is one of the few complete cycles I own, and the only Beethoven symphony cycle. I normally get bits and pieces by different conductors all over the place. This is only my second version of a few Beethoven symphonies. Currently I'm listening to a very different take on the Fourth to HvK from the early 60s...

Today I nearly pulled the trigger on the DG Jochum Bruckner box that's been discussed here in the last couple of days too. It was $50 Aus in the used bins. I'd rather sample the sound quality first before outlaying that much though. I don't think the performances will be a problem - I love the bits of Jochum's Bruckner I've heard.

One box set per weekend is enough!

Go George for 10K!!

8. Jay F

Jay F New Member

That's bad.

9. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

The sound quality is good. Like I said, these are high quality transfers of older analog originals. There's no funky spotlighting, the balances are excellent, the recordings successfully convey the wide dynamics of the playing. The only flaw that might be serious enough for some to reject the set on sonic grounds is the level of hiss in the quietest sections. If Bruno Walter's Columbia Symphony Orchestra recordings are too hissy for you then these CDs aren't for you. Otherwise, I'd say go for it.

10. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

I wish. Used to own the DGG LP set with the fourth, seventh, eighth and ninth in ok transfers. The Unicorn LP set of a wartime eighth had a good transfer. I know I've had his recording of the fifth at one time or another. Love Furtwangler's sense of forward motion with these works but the sound quality varies from surprisingly good to "What the Hell were They thinking?" I recall a Furtwangler reading of the "Romantic" symphony that sounded like it was transfered via telephone—that was on a Decca budget reissue.

11. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Thanks, and I did appreciate your earlier description of the SQ on this box too. DG's SQ can be a bit hit and miss, although I've found the older analog stuff to generally be pretty good. I might check out some samples on Amazon.

Is there anything in the booklet about DG's "Original Image Bit-Processing", that they used in the 90's? I don't like the sound of this mastering process. Is there any other mastering information (or a lack of it, which might indicate a very early mastering still in use)?

12. Robin L

Robin L Musical Omnivore

Nothing in the packaging mentions mastering/remastering. It's ADD which is pretty much neither here nor there. No mention of "Original Image Bit-Processing". I suspect these would be excellent candidates for a full-bore DSD remaster, including SACDs. If the Japanese market has a thing for Bruckner we might see such a set in the future. The only mention of anything going on in the remastering side of the equation is "Mastered by Emil Berliner Studios." The back of the box has "A Universal Music Company" under the DGG logo. Amazon states date of issue for this box as April 8, 2003.

13. RussellG

RussellG Forum Resident

Cool, thanks. The Amazon samples sound great! I'd rather that bit of hiss be there than the alternative of NR. I guess this means I should rush straight out and buy this thing...

Agreed - DG's DSD mastering was/is spot on. The HvK/Kleiber Beethoven SACDs sound superb.

14. coopmv

Now playing CD1 from this set, which has been sitting unopen for some time ...

[​IMG]

15. Baron Von Talbot

Baron Von Talbot Well-Known Member

Yep that is the one I am talking about. The one with the sunset painting .
    I am looking for a couple more cycles to buy - so far I only have that Böhm, Furtwängler and 1955 Hvk, Plus my latest acquisition - a marvellous new 5 CD-set by Sir Charles Mackerras on hvyperion. So far only heard 1, 2 and parts of the 3rd so far - all really good and staright forward with a lot of on sight on details, a bit like that polish set on TACET LP of the 7th.
    Next order will include the Wand set with the BR Radio orchestra, shown here a few times.
    The Mackeras readings are among the best new versions imo...

Attached Files:

16. coopmv

Just ordered the following CD sets today ...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. coopmv

It is not easy to come up with the best version of the Beethoven cycles without going through very extensive listening. There were few conductors who could achieve the overall consistency across all the symphonies.

18. coopmv

BTW, the Mackerras' Beethoven cycle on Hyperion would have been more appealing to me if the entire cycle was performed by the same orchestra. I may go for the set he conducted with the Liverpool Philharmonic. But with close to having 25 versions of the Beethoven cycles in my current collection, I have just about owned all the versions that are worth collecting. LOL.

19. coopmv

Now playing CD2 from this set. CD1 was excellent and I am glad I have started to build out my collection of chamber music, a subgenre of classical music I never liked in the past ...

[​IMG]

20. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Can't go wrong with most of the Philips Twofers. This one included. :cheers:

21. coopmv

Philips as a record label is now history, as all previous Philips recordings are now released under London/Decca.

22. Rose River Bear

Interesting. Did not know that. :cheers:

23. Rose River Bear

Currently spinning. Pretty good compilation.

41BWNYC9HCL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

24. Rose River Bear

Poor HVK..no one seems to like him but me!:laugh::laugh::laugh:

25. coopmv

Many do not like Karajan mostly for political reasons and for his alleged involvement with the Nazis. I personally do not have any problems with him or most of his recordings that are not excessively legato.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.