Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

The Richter: Authorized Recordings; Schubert does not divulge which edition of the Schubert Sonata in C major, D840, "Reliquie" is used. However using the 1971 notes from Badura-Skoda, I was able to compare the endings.

"Schubert had planned the movement as a huge finale in sonata form in which both the first and second subject appear in miniature rondo form. The grandeur of this conception can only be realized if the movement is completed, however unsatisfactory this effort might be. About 40 years ago the composer Ernst Krenek made an attempt. In his version, the development and the recapitulation are melted into each other in a rather un-Schubertian way, with some strange harmonies. However, his idea to round out the work with a final quotation from the first movement is a very fine one. (Schubert did so in his A major Sonata, D. 959.) I took up this idea without letting the movement die away delicately, as Krenek does, but bringing it to a triumphant close, which seems to me more in accordance with the general spirit of the work."
    --Paul Badura-Skoda

The ending on the Richter version fades away, so I conclude he uses the Krenek completion.

I prefer the Badura-Skoda completion. I also prefer the Badura-Skoda performance over the Richter performance here.

Here is a scan of the 1971 Badura-Skoda album notes. I will try to get his 2017 notes scanned in another post later after I have heard all of the discs.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
    Bubbamike, Rick Robson and George P like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

My enjoyment of the big Serkin box continues with some chamber vocal works from Brahms and Schubert. Disc 35 of 75.

JMR and RiRiIII like this.
  3. George P

I recall reading a number of glowing reviews of that Badura-Skoda Schubert set awhile back, so I was thinking that I might get it. As luck would have it, I was able to hear a lot of the performances on Spotify and decided that his Schubert isn't for me.

Schubert is definitely one of those composers that seems to have interpreters who play the music in a lot of different ways. I think he is a great example of why it is always best to try before buying.

I was reading yesterday about Lupu's Schubert and I decided that I want to hear his Schubert recordings again soon. Decca was kind to assemble all of his wonderful Decca recordings in this box a few years back:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

crispi likes this.
  4. George P

Just to follow up, although I have certainly heard better, I enjoyed Rudy's Op. 117 somewhat, but the more extroverted works in Op. 118 were played too over the top for me. He plays them like a virtuoso in a large concert hall, and for me, that style doesn't fit here.

I think I will revisit Gieseking's 1951 recordings, Angelich's Virgin recordings and Lupu's Decca Brahms (along with his Schubert) recordings next.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2017
  5. George P

After enjoying his gorgeous recording of Op. 116-119 tonight, I decided to order the above set! :wave:

JuniorMaineGuide and dale 88 like this.
  6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Are you a fan of Brahms Op. 120 Sonatas for clarinet and piano? I just got the recording on Harmonia Mundi by Jon Manasse and Jon Nakamatsu. Listened to it twice so far and it was pretty enjoyable.

7. George P

Thanks for the tip, Bruce! I don't have a recording of that work at all and will keep it in mind. :wave:

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

I know of three. The first was by Ray Lev for the old Concert Hall Society label, first on 78s and then transferred to LP (at least, I think it was). That recording is insanely fast, positively frantic, more or less making hash of the music. The set does, however, include extensive notes by Krenek about making the completion. (I've copied some of them into the Wikipedia article about that sonata.) The second, recorded in the early LP era, was by Friedrich Wuhrer--I hear the mumbled "Oh, no, there he goes about Wuhrer again" out there in the stalls. As far as I know, neither of these recordings has appeared in CD form, at least not in an "official" reissue from masters. The third, which has the virtue of being recent enough to have a fair shot at being available, is by Stanislav Khristenko on Toccata TOCC 0298, part of a complete Krenek piano music cycle. My take is it's quite good but not quite up to Wuhrer's interpretation.

dale 88 likes this.
  9. George P

As I await the delivery of my Angelich Brahms box, I have been watching this cool video, which contains some interviews and performances.

andolink likes this.
  10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

On to this 1954 recording of the beloved PC No 1 (actually his second) with Ormandy/PO from the Serkin box. How fresh this orchestra sounds.

[​IMG]

A great recording.

JMR and George P like this.
  11. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]

It's the start of the season of reclusion and reflection.

Marzz likes this.
  12. George P

Indeed. I debated for quite awhile about buying the set, but I am sure glad I got it. (Did I mention that due to a delivery mistake, my set was not only free, but amazon gave me an extra $20 as well?)

RiRiIII likes this.
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

a nice deal!

14. Mowgli

Mowgli Runs with scissors

This 170CD one from Brilliant Classics? - https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B00L2SQVVQ
    I got it for 83EUR including shipping to the USA
    It's cheaper when you put it in your cart because it removes the VAT

15. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]Utterly captivating and melancholic, perfect for those reflective moods.

Mike burgess and George P like this.
  16. Zafu

Zafu Cosmic Muffin

I'm absolutely in love with this recording and performance.

[​IMG]

JMR and George P like this.
  17. George P

I have and enjoy Leeuw's digital solo Satie recordings.

HenryFly likes this.
  18. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

We have similar tastes. Not only Nick Drake.

George P likes this.
  19. George P

:agree:

20. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    There's just so much that's right about this Gielen & Rickenbacher co-production. On its release there should have been just joy, sheer joy that we could hear this music again.

21. HenryFly

HenryFly Forum Resident

Sorry to reply to my own post but I took it too much for granted perhaps, that outside German-speaking Europe the name Franz Schreker would be associated with anything at all, let alone being banned by Nazis and then neglected until the 80s. He was the Austrian Jewish poster boy of Weimar-era opera. The Wikipedia article will tell you the rest.

crispi likes this.
  22. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member

Now on the turntable, "Heinrich Isaac - Grands Motets Solennels" performed by Ensemble Chanticleer and the Clemenic Consort on Harmonia Mundi France.

[​IMG]

andolink likes this.
  23. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying the above CD from the above box set. Absolutely lovely playing and sound. Thanks, @dale 88 for the reminder about this budget box!

dale 88 likes this.
  24. George P

I haven't heard Volodos play the solo works, but then I do not like his Rach 3.

Another cycle? Sorry, can't help there. And I don't even think Katchen's set is terribly solid. I would suggest buying single and multiple disc sets that compile some of the works. Like the Angelich set above, the original mastering of the 2CD Gould set (my favorite of his non-Bach recordings), the Lupu recordings and the Kovacevitch recordings - in that order.

hvbias likes this.
  25. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thank you George. I have the Lupu Complete Solo so I will play those now. Just ordered the remastered 2 CD for Gould, very excited to hear it as I've read one or two other good opinions of the performances on the original mono LP.

IME Gould in his early years can be a bit brisk is that the case with the Brahms?

George P likes this.