Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

2. George P

George P Only Love Can Make Love Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Revisiting this set over the next week or so, starting tonight with the first symphony.

3. George P

Just got an email from Marston records (I am a subscriber for their piano releases) and wanted to pass on the info:

Hello friends of Marston,

Here it is, the ides of March, and we feel it is time that we bring you up to date on our progress with several projects that have been waiting in the wings for some time.
    1. We finally have found a high-quality manufacturer in Holland and they are currently producing our next project, Landmarks of Recorded Pianism, Volume 1. This two-CD set features piano performances most of which have never before been issued. Delivery is expected by the end of March, and the price is $36. To read more or to place an order, click here: Landmarks of Recorded Pianism

2. Our edition of Feodor Chaliapin's complete recordings is in its last stages of design and production. Our new manufacturer has provided samples of their work and we are very pleased. We will go into production within the next month. We very much appreciate the patience and understanding of those who are eagerly awaiting delivery. To read more or to place an order, click here: Chaliapin

3. We are very excited about our upcoming project devoted to the pianist Sidney Foster which has now been expanded to seven CDs. The booklet is now in the hands of our graphic designer, Takeshi Takahashi, and the set will be released soon after Chaliapin. To read more or to place an order, click here: Sidney Foster

We appreciate your patience and thank you for your support!

Best regards,
    Ward, Scott, Mark, and Rich

Bubbamike and RiRiIII like this.
  4. George P

Next piano release from Marston (mentioned above):

Landmarks of Recorded Pianism
    52073-2 (2 CDs) | $36
    PIANO

This release features a collection of what might be called piano orphans: commercial and non-commercial recordings of great pianists that simply have never found their way onto compact disc. Among these treasures are fifteen minutes of Dinu Lipatti playing Scarlatti and Brahms that have only recently surfaced; an unpublished disc of Alfred Cortot playing the “Russian Dance” from Petroushka; and previously unpublished excerpts of the Tchaikovsky first piano concerto played by Vladimir Horowitz with the Philadelphia Orchestra, recorded during a 1932 concert conducted by Fritz Reiner and recorded as an experiment by the Bell Telephone Laboratory. This is Horowitz's earliest known concert performance and is in amazing sound for that time. It is unfortunate that the entire concerto was not recorded, but hearing these excerpts will be a revelation for Horowitz fans. Also included are live concerto performances by Lev Puishnov and Guiomar Novaes. We feel certain that piano enthusiasts worldwide will treasure this 2-CD set as nothing like it has been heard since Gregor Benko produced his acclaimed Landmarks of Recorded Pianism LP forty years ago.

RiRiIII likes this.
  5. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

6. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

7. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

As a primer on some of the basics it is pretty good. If you are already familiar with terms like sonata form, counterpoint, and “modern music” then it may not provide too much new material.

Juan Matus likes this.
  8. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

I wasn't aware classical music came with documentation

9. George P

[​IMG]

Perfect music after an annoying week at work.

Wugged, drh and Wes H like this.
  10. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

Perfect combination of Works, performance and SQ. Proceed if not yet:

[​IMG]

kevinsinnott and fnord like this.
  11. fnord

fnord Well-Known Member

Found this for 0.50€ unopened in a thrift store yesterday, started working my way through this cycle earlier this morning. So far these might rank among my favorite recordings of Beethoven's symphonies.
    [​IMG]

Mowgli, kevinsinnott, layman and 3 others like this.
  12. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

This set appeared released in 2018, appeared in the usual big retailers and then vanished. As as I can see only cdjp offer it for future release now. I spotted it yesterday at the window of a record store in Athens with no price. I asked the owner and told me that he has been suddenly instructed by the producer to add €30 (1) on his buying price and for this erason he had to sell it for €150... I told him that the reason should be the recent notices that Prokofiev's heirs lawyers sent all over due to the 70-year protection in force recently in most countries. I got it for €100 finally as he wanted to get rid of it (hopefully this is the case...) - another seller in Athens offers it for €185,-- (where I got the photo of the set from).

From the label's website:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 17, 2018
  13. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

rainbow dome likes this.
  14. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

A bargain of the decade! :righton:

15. coopmv

But is this cycle any better than his earlier cycle? I bought that earlier cycle at least a decade ago ...

16. coopmv

I have yet to find a HIP Brandenburg Concertos performed by a German ensemble I like ...

17. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Blomstedt's Leipzig Beethoven cycle is critically acclaimed and generally preferred to his earlier Dresden cycle. I haven't heard the latter so I can't comment.

18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Assuming you've heard them both, how do you think this set compares to his earlier one with MAK?

19. George P

Haven't heard the new one but I sure dig the old one. That's on DG, right?

drh likes this.
  20. coopmv

It was on DG Archiv ...

George P likes this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

That's right, DG Archiv. I think all the MAK recordings were for Archiv. I'm with George: the old Goebel/MAK set has been my "go to" for years and years. But my word, it certainly put the Penguin People into a snit, didn't it? :biglaugh:

22. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

I have not yet received the new Brandenburg/Goebel/SONY set. However I do not expect it to be so radical as the old one was. That was groundbreaking indeed.

23. RiRiIII

RiRiIII Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Listening all five without changing sides or discs is totally worth it.

crispi and bruce2 like this.
  24. coopmv

I have listened to both HIP Brandenburg Concertos by the MAK (first version) and by the freiburger barockorchester and was not impressed by either ...

25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I have to agree with you there, not my cup of tea either.