Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

If Elvis had just lived a few more years...

[​IMG] [​IMG]

2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Saw a copy (EMI reissue CDs) for $10 at a used book store across town last weekend; unfortunately, the line was too long and I didn't have time to pay for it and get to my next commitment. I expect to be back in the neighborhood in the next week or two, and I don't think the place has much turnover in its CDs, so if the set is still there maybe I'll pick it up.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Good news--got an e-mail today that the set has shipped. Will report back in due course!

Marzz likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

New copies are not much more on amazon: Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Beethoven: The String Quartets (7CD)

5. George P

[​IMG]

Continuing on with my traversal of the Beethoven Violin Sonatas set by Francescatti and Casadesus today.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  6. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

:righton:
    I've enjoyed my 4-LP box set of that for many years.

[​IMG]

7. Kundera the joke.

Kundera the joke. Senior Member

Brahms - Piano Concerto No. 2.
    (UK Mono. 1967)

[​IMG]

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I'd love to hear the mono recordings, but--like others here--I only have the (very fine) stereo cycle. Mine are on LPs, issued by Seraphim in 3 volumes (example below):

[​IMG]

Liner notes state that the original (mono) recordings were made in 1953. This stereo set was recorded in Paris, 1966.

9. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

And your impression ?

10. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

These always ranked very highly with me :thumbsup:

Some discussion- Gieseking's Debussy Preludes, his mid 50s recordings. I picked up the ART remaster which does indeed sound better than the Japan EMI SACD and earlier 90s CD with blue background. Curious what you guys think of these performances of Preludes Book 1 and 2 as these recordings have never grabbed me. I thought upgrading the sound quality might shed some new light but it hasn't. What I hear is a too romantic approach to Debussy; banging on the keyboard during climaxes (to the point of distortion) and brisk tempi just losing the dream like quality. IMHO I don't think these are pieces that should be open to a wide variety of interpretation (nearly all modern recordings I've heard are more similar than different) so maybe my view on that is what is holding me back from enjoying them more? FWIW my two favorites are Michelangeli's DGG and Samson Francois just for some perspective.

crispi and Wugged like this.
  11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this lovely performance.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Which Samson François release of Debussy's Préludes do you have?

13. George P

Yeah, Gieseking's Debussy was never near the top of my list either. Much like Rubinstein's stereo recordings, I don't get all the fuss.

Like you, I enjoy Michelangeli. I like Richter (live, BBC) even more, but the sound is less than ideal. Arrau's set on has that gorgeous tone that few could match and fewer could accurately capture on recording. Luckily, Arrau recorded so much (including the Debussy) for Philips, as they seem to always do a superb job of recording his performances. And his playing is lovely as well. Zimerman is a nice athletic version, though I would imagine not to your taste. Then there's Jacobs, Fergus-Thompson...there's been so many great recordings of these works.

hvbias likes this.
  14. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

The box set remastered by the Paris mastering house that did the Cortot and Cziffra boxes. If you are asking for the year of recording I will check tonight.

I will see if the library has that Richter recording, I've borrowed many of the OOP/expensive BBC discs from there, I absolutely love the Orfeo and Carnegie 1960 recordings of Suite Bergamasque but the sound quality is poor on both.

The reason I brought up Gieseking in particular is I don't think I have ever read a single bad thing about these recordings, either classical forums or professional reviews so I was wondering if I was missing something...

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Thanks and no thanks, I was just interested in which release you have. I know those sets. The pianists are not really favourites of mine.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2018
  16. George P

His Richter in Spoleto CD has a decent amount of his Debussy, in good sound and is cheap.

I know exactly what you mean. Kempff's Beethoven, Gieseking's Debussy, Rubinstein's (stereo) Chopin . . . I could go on and on with recordings that are revered that do little for me.

I dont think you are missing anything. You are an individual, with a mind and taste of your own. I think that's a good thing.

hvbias likes this.
  17. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Listening to a little Tales of a Thousand and One Dynagrooves today. This record (1968) should be more famous than it is. The performance (and sound) are very good. I don't remember ever seeing it on CD.

[​IMG]anonymous pictures website

fitzrik, crispi, vanhooserd and 2 others like this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Ironically, I'm just getting ready to launch into Gieseking's 78 RPM set of the preludes, book 1, to decide between two copies (one a good bit later than the other, which is the favorite going in). Each prelude gets one 10" record side. As to Kempff, just this morning, while driving to work, I heard a good bit of his account of the Beethoven 4th cto. with Leitner and the BPO, and on the strength of his cadenzas I made a mental note to dig out my copy (in one of those dubious DG "Beethoven Bicentennial" boxes) and give it a more serious listen.

Wes H likes this.
  19. George P

I have yet to work out the differences myself, but I understand that Gieseking was a very different pianist before the war than he was after it.

20. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG] [​IMG]
    Yes, Dynagroove. Sound is not really unpleasant, but I'm sure an un-Dynagrooved LP or CD would sound much better. There was an 80s CD issue that I haven't heard. Recorded 12/14, 16/84. Producer: Richard Mohr. Engineer: Anthony Salvatore. I liked the performance.

21. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

As I was assembling the Naive Sokolov recordings that interest me the complete box shows up at my record store for $10. Probably so cheap because the jewel cases are cracked and there is a tear in the slip case (looks like someone used a box cutter to open a package and it went too deep and cut into the slip case). I like that Naive just repacked the individual CDs into a box so the liner notes are complete for every disc. I do hope he records D959 at some point with DGG.

Now hearing this disc for the first time

[​IMG]

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, everybody--any opinions about the William Steinberg/Pittsburgh SO Beethoven sym. cycle? I just picked up a copy on ABC/Command LPs for cheap.

RiRiIII and Bubbamike like this.
  23. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Some opera for a Saturday night.

[​IMG]

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG][​IMG]

Now enjoying these classic Casadesus performances, lovingly transferred by Seth Winner onto 2CDs.

25. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Masterworks Heritage, a great series! Wish it was more extensive.

vanhooserd and hvbias like this.