Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Smellin' Like A Rose Thread Starter

Correction, i enjoyed the Debussy, but not the Chopin.

2. Denim Chicken

Denim Chicken Forum Resident

I heard Dvorak’s 8th symphony for the first time last night on NPR and it was glorious. Looked it up and it was with Kurt Masur and the New York Phil. I’m plan on going back to this one a lot. Any versions that you guys and gals prefer?

3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

I really like this one. Ivan Fischer and the Budapest. Kertesz is always great as well with all of the Dvorak Symphonies.
    [​IMG]

Denim Chicken likes this.
  4. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Take this with a grain of salt as there are others here with far greater experience than me, but my favorite performance of this work is Rafael Kubelik with the Berlin Philharmonic Orchestra’s 1966 recording on DG.

5. Rose River Bear

I am listening to it right now after recalling how great it is. Another fine recommendation. An amazing 9th as well.
    [​IMG]

6. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

Excellent! That’s probably my favorite 9th as well!

crispi and Rose River Bear like this.
  7. Edwin Hawley

Edwin Hawley Forum Resident

Dvorak wrote so many good pieces besides the 9th symphony. I'm thrilled to be seeing performances of the 7th(my favorite) as well as the cello concerto at Carnegie Hall next month.

For the 8th, I recommend Harnoncourt and Barbirolli.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

My own favorite, at least from the CD era, is by the Cleveland Or. under Christoph von Dohnanyi, originally on London.

If you like no. 8, you might also want to give a listen to no. 5. And no. 6, in addition to being another lovely listen in general, has a scherzo in particular that may be Dvorak's best example of that type. It's a furiant, immensely exciting if played to the hilt. For example,

Marzz, hvbias, Wugged and 1 other person like this.
  9. Rose River Bear

Some great Dvoarak recommendations.

I like most of Dvorak's works but the 9th IMO represents his greatest work. The way he uses thematic material from the previous movements in the 4th Movement is brilliant. I especially get floored when I hear how he uses the opening chord progression from the second movement in the final few minutes of the 4th movement. Parts of that chord progression are all over the 4th Movement. IMO, the 4th Movement of the 9th Symphony is one of the greatest of any composer.

Here is a fantastic analysis of the symphony.
    en/symphony9 | antonin-dvorak.cz

Eigenvector and Denim Chicken like this.
  10. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Martinu: PIANO TRIOS
    (Kinsky Trio Prague - Praga Digitalis, 2009)

I've only heard one similar program before (a Naxos disc), but it was too long ago for me to compare. I think the music is delightful, as is so much Martinu.

Also, more Stravinsky from the ~2015 incarnation of the big Columbia box. Persephone, which I liked a lot...this surprised me for some reason. Now I want to track down another recording or two of Persephone by conductors other than the composer.

Also Agon and Canticum.

scompton likes this.
  11. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

There is a brand new recording of Persephone with Salonen (have not heard it though, but I like other Stravinsky recordings by him): https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stravinksy...r=8-1&keywords=stravinsky+Persephone++salonen.

Also, while not the Canticum Sacrum, I strongly recommend a recent disc with Herreweghe doing Threni and the Requiem Canticles. No one, Stravinsky included, has done the Threni as well: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Stravinsky...7163128&sr=8-1&keywords=stravinsky+herreweghe.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
  12. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Thanks for those recommendations, Åke. I actually heard the Herreweghe several months back during my first (~chronological by composition) pass through Stravinsky's ~complete works, and it was excellent. I am very glad to see a new Salonen on SACD, right after mentioning liking some of his older Sony Stravinsky over in the megabox thread.
    Speaking of which, hat tip for the Menuhin hot tip. I hope that shipment works out!

Chez Pentatone:

[​IMG]

Taneyev: AT THE READING OF A PSALM
    (RNO/Pletnev - Pentatone)

13. George P

14. Wugged

Wugged Forum Resident

Totally agree. :) The 7th, 8th and 9th by Dohnanyi and the CO used to be available as a set (maybe is still available, or obtainable second-hand) and is absolutely superb. Great performances. Audiophile sound too.

Edit. Just found this :
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 17, 2018
    hvbias likes this.
  15. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

Then you have probably already heard another excellent Stravinsky recording by Herreweghe, with the Symphony of Psalms, the Mass and a few other choral items: https://www.amazon.com/Monumentum-Mass-Symphonie-Psaumes-STRAVINSKY/dp/B002VD5DZG/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1537192132&sr=8-1&keywords=Stravinsky:+Monumentum+-+Mass+-+Symphonie+de+Psaumes&dpID=51OLVL4RSyL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch.

I'm sorry to say that I just received a mail (like many others I'm sure) cancelling the Menuhin box. I'm tempted to get it from jpc instead for €99. Not as good as £35 but still not bad.

16. hvbias

hvbias Forum Resident

I am very familiar with Arrau's analog cycle of the Beethoven piano sonatas. Is there anything in the later digital cycle worth hearing performance wise?

17. George P

Nope. The sound is lovely, but the playing is slow and unexciting.

hvbias likes this.
  18. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

No, I have not heard that Herreweghe. It goes to the top of the queue!
    Also disappointed about the Menuhin. I have this bad feeling I shouldn't have mentioned it...I jinxed us all. </grandiose paranoia>

By coincidence:

[​IMG]
    Kurt Weill: BERLINER REQUIEM, VIOLIN CONCERTO, etc. (Philippe Herreweghe - HM, 1992)

Also Stravinsky's Threni, cond. composer from Sony big box.

hvbias likes this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying this lovely disc! energetically played, beautiful sound.

Next up, Karajan playing the 5 symphonies.

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mendelssohn's first symphony from the above box set. The recording is from 1972.

Wes H likes this.
  21. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Mendelssohn's fifth symphony from the above box set. It's great to be listening to these symphonies, as I have only heard them once before. I plan to hear all five in the next few days.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying these performances from the aforementioned Karajan set. Karajan's 3rd is both powerful and dramatic.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2018
    Marzz, crispi and Wes H like this.
  23. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Prokofiev: WAR AND PEACE
    (Mariinsky/Gergiev - Decca)

Finally putting the wraps on this set of Gergiev's Prok operas. I'd been procrastinating listening to WAP for months: kind of a haul (almost 4 hours), but enjoyable.

24. George P

[​IMG]

Having recommended this set recently, I wanted to revisit it. Now enjoying the first symphony.

Marzz, crispi, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  25. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Kurt Weill: STRATAS SINGS WEILL (Teresa Stratas, Gerard Schwarz et al - Nonesuch, 1986)

Play it to the rafters, girl! I will also be listening to her earlier UNKNOWN WEILL album soon.

Also RISE & FALL OF CITY OF MAHAGONNY dir. Latham-Koenig (Capriccio).

Marzz likes this.