Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit Forum Resident

Toscanini said once that Furtwängler used to conduct the Ninth too slow; and the german Maestro replied "Maybe is Toscanini that conducts it too fast..." :)

Rick Robson likes this.
  2. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I think I read somewhere that when recording his Ninth in 62 Karajan studied and tried to emulate Toscanini.

3. Jazzicalit

I never liked Toscanini, but those Karajan's recordings in the Sixties are great.

bruce2 likes this.
  4. Jazzicalit

Among the conductors I like the most, the slower Ninth Scherzo I've heard so far is this by Karl Böhm:

Rick Robson likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

6. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Forum Resident

Found this in the local consignment store a couple days ago. If it was ever played it wasn't often, judging from the condition of the box and LPs.

[​IMG]

vanhooserd, Marzz, bruce2 and 3 others like this.
  7. Rick Robson

Rick Robson What comes next?

I like Toscanini, but you're damn right about Karajan's 60's recordings!

I bought this box set in the year 1996, love it:

[​IMG]

A precious booklet included too.

But when W. Furtwangler is concerned, I agree that his approach is completely different from Karajan's. I love them both but Furtwangler's recordings have no parallel to me in terms of originality, and what most haunts me is that every interpretation of him that I've heard so far has something different to discover and appreciate...

vanhooserd and Jazzicalit like this.
  8. kevinsinnott

kevinsinnott Forum Coffeeologist

I asked a local conductor of semi-pro and local professional orchestras why Beethoven's Missa Solemnis isn't more often performed. He told me it is too difficult for most of his musicians and, although roughly from the same period as some of the master's later works, not equally accessible, although it is a quality work. To me it almost unique among Beethoven's works and not just because it's a mass. I've read he might have been influenced by Cherubini, whose own Missa Solemnis is of similar length.

As Donald Tovey says, "Not even Bach or Handel can show a greater sense of space and of sonority. There is no earlier choral writing that comes so near to recovering some of the lost secrets of the style of Palestrina. There is no choral and no orchestral writing, earlier or later, that shows a more thrilling sense of the individual colour of every chord, every position, and every doubled third or discord." I copied this quote from Wikipedia, although Tovey's comment is represented elsewhere on the web as well.

I keep watching for a CSO performance, as Muti is becoming so well regarded as one of their best conductors. Maybe he's done it before and the CSO is certainly up to its demands - in fact, they've performed it for Haitink, although I think Muti would be, if anything, more ideally suited to it, or at least what I like in it. I can dream anyway. I would imagine Karajan would be a great conductor for this. I have never heard his version. Good catch!

Marzz, bruce2, Fastnbulbous and 2 others like this.
  9. sleepjar

sleepjar Forum Resident

[​IMG]

I love this set as much if not more than the '63.

crispi likes this.
  10. Jazzicalit

That's true, I have read that too, Beethoven admired Cherubini very much.

kevinsinnott likes this.
  11. Jazzicalit

Is this the 70's cycle? If so, I know it's good but I have never listened to all the symphonies.

sleepjar likes this.
  12. sleepjar

sleepjar Forum Resident

Yes, it’s the 70’s set I cut my teeth on as it was released. I still have a few of the original vinyls. The Eloquence reissue pictured is remastered in excellent sound.

Jazzicalit likes this.
  13. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Just the "Wanderer Fantasy." A wonderful performance.

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  14. Jazzicalit

ILDEBRANDO PIZZETTI - String Quartets
    Lajtha Quartet (Naxos 2011)

[​IMG]

Marzz and Octave like this.
  15. SteveKn

SteveKn Well-Known Member

I've been listening to La Betulia liberata from CDs 155 & 156 of the Mozart 225 box set most of the day. I wasn't familiar with the piece(K.118.) I found an entry in Wikipedia that said Mozart was only 15 when he composed it. Amazing.

16. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

17. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Still working my way through this set.

[​IMG]

SteveKn likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

19. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have the SACD box set of these recordings. My favorites from this set are the 5th and the 9th. I havent heard any other recordings of those two symphonies that I enjoy as much.

Rick Robson likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

How is it?

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent--both the playing and the sound. I do think the "Funeral March" is a bit fast in the Sonata No.2, but otherwise I like the recording very much.

22. kevinfree

kevinfree Forum Resident

So, I bought this because it was a favorite of my mom. I love it; can you recommend me where to go next since this is my first "classical" LP?

[​IMG]

vanhooserd likes this.
  23. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

In honor of Schubert's birthday.

[​IMG]

Marzz, Rick Robson and Eigenvector like this.
  24. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have this album on SACD and love it too. As for your question there are obviously going to be many ways you can go. I would perhaps recommend Beethovens symphonies, especially 5-9, and the four symphonies of Brahms, which give me endless listening pleasure.

25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Welcome! A likely choice would be Khachaturian's Gayne Ballet Suite, which includes the famous sabre dance.