Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Is this a new issue box set? If so online seller ?

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

As far as I know this Melodiya set came out a few years ago and is no longer available, or at least hard to find.

3. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Thanks.

4. fdsfd

fdsfd Forum Resident

This new "Limited Art Edition Box Set" looks phenomenal, and it's up on sale at my local record shop with an equally phenomenal price tag right now (half of my ffffreaking rent). Seems a tad bit logical when you consider that only 1,200 copies have been released.

[​IMG]

Karajan/Berliner Philharmoniker sets are always delightful, nothing unusual with that ...but I just have one, small question. Whose bright idea was it to put a GRANITE BLOCK in a box with 8 LPs???

Robert C and bruce2 like this.
  5. WaterLemon

WaterLemon Forum Resident

I wonder if any of you fine people have experience with a Rostropovich box set I’m considering. The one that caught my eye is “The Complete Recordings on DG.” It seems like there are other, similar but different, career spanning box sets available, so if anyone has an opinion or advice, I’d be very grateful for your thoughts. Thanks in advance!

To be clear, this is the product: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...4df-15aac5223b10&pf_rd_r=FA3NRA1TBA2XNCEVDNMV

6. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Thanks much for those recommendations. I am also looking at that COMPOSER-CONDUCTOR-PIANIST - HISTORIC BBC FILMS dvd set. Actually, I am also interested in the BRITTEN THE PERFORMER cd set (BB playing or conducting other people's music). I think his Schubert with Richter is just great, but I wasn't sure how much I needed, say, his Brandenburg Concertos recordings....but I have heard they were a pre-HIP classic benchmark, so maybe worth having.

OT digression on classical/opera Blu-Ray discs:
    I doubt anyone here would have two copies of the BRITTEN COLLECTION video set to compare, but I wonder if the Blu-Ray edition is much of an upgrade? I ask because I once purchased a Blu-Ray of Christie/Sellars' Handel's THEODORA, and I cannot imagine there was any improvement in sound or image whatsoever...it was just LPCM which afaik is what the dvd had. (I didn't research it because I got a deal, but it still gives me pause for future purchases. I'd read some similar complaints about the sound/image non-upgrade in a Barenboim Wagner RING, iirc.)
    Online images seem to indicate as much for the Britten set. I wonder why they issue them in two formats if there is little to no advantage? But maybe this isn't the case.

Another byway today:

[​IMG]
    Alan Rawsthorne: SYMPHONIES (Bournemouth, David Lloyd-Jones - Naxos, 2005)

Plus another Naxos disc of Rawsthorne string quartets/duo (Maggini), and yet another of Cello Concerto etc.

I wonder if the Maggini Quartet can do any wrong? Whatever the relative merits of the music they play, all of the recordings I've heard by them seems like fully committed performances. I also recently heard a disc of Alwyn's first few quartets by the Magginis that was really good, though I don't know those pieces in any other recordings.

7. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I can recommend that box. Besides the Richter piano duets, there's the classic Rostropovich recordings and of course the various song cycles, both British and German, with Pears, with Schubert's Winterreise a personal favorite. I also really like Britten's take on Mozart, both symphonies and the celebrated piano concerto recordings with Curzon (whom I was fortunate enough to hear in Stockholm in the 1970s playing concerto no. 27, but not with Britten of course) . I must admit that the Bach recordings is for me an aquired taste, if not more so than with other pre-HIP recordings, and the St John's Passion is in English, which might have a certain novelty value.

Octave likes this.
  8. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Rawsthorne: PIANO CONCERTOS etc (Geoffrey Tozer, Tamara-Anna Cislowska, LPO, Matthias Bamert - Chandos, ~1993)

Really enjoyed this disc quite a bit. I could see it not being considered top-shelf masterpiece stuff---sometimes sounds a bit like film music---but a lot of energetic, glittering joy throughout. I think Ogdon recorded one if not both of these concertos, which I should hasten to find. There is a newer Chandos reissue with completely different cover from above.

Also another Naxos disc of his violin concertos played by Rebecca Hirsch, also enjoyable.

I think I will be listening through a bunch of Bach cantatas to end the year, starting this weekend. A mini-project but also a good way to see an ugly year out and stoke a little fire against the night. I think I am going to use Kuijken's Accent recordings, since I've not heard them yet.

9. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Also through this week:

[​IMG]

Messiaen: THE WORKS FOR ORCHESTRA
    (dir. Sylvain Cambreling - Hanssler/SWR-Musik, 8cd, 2008/2018)

10. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

You mean this version? It's OOP but Amazon has copies for $30:
    [​IMG]

11. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

It's been implied that Fischer and Kocsis parted ways over politics, with Kocsis taking the reins of the Hungarian National Philharmonic and being willing to associate himself with Fidesz, while Fischer has been a vocal opponent of the government/movement. Fischer issued a nice statement when Kocsis died, but it was also impicit that he hadn't been close to him in some time. I suspect that might be why there hasn't been a reissue.

12. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I've heard that story too. Iván Fischer has distanced himself from autocratic regimes more than once. He currently lives in Amsterdam and is fluent in Dutch. Rumour has it that he's a candidate to become the next principal conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra, but there seems to be some resistance.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2018
  14. ubertrout

ubertrout Forum Resident

Here it is: https://www.amazon.com/Orchestra-Dance-Suite-Hungarian-National/dp/B0001HOXU0

Rose River Bear likes this.
  15. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Thanks for that info. I live under a rock, so only now am I reading some articles on Fischer's positions.

Listening to Messiaen TURANGALILA by Cambreling, and wondering what brothels Boulez frequented.
    This time through this piece, I was impressed most at how I didn't know if I liked it from moment to moment. Even the occasional passages of game-show kitsch are suffused with strangeness and uneasiness. I'm sure I've heard this piece a half-dozen times over many years and it only becomes stranger to me.

Also this molten muddle:

[​IMG]

Shostakovich: LADY MACBETH OF MTSENSK
    (Rostropovich et al - EMI, 1979)

I didn't know who Galina Vishnevskaya was when I saw Aleksandr Sokurov's ALEXANDRA years ago, so it was a bit of a shock in hindsight to realize who the lead actress was:
    [​IMG]

ubertrout likes this.
  16. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

Stravinsky: [BALLETS] (LSO/Abbado - DG, 2cd)

I think it's a fine set in very good sound, though I have spent enough time with this music over the past several months that I am not sure any of these performances strike me as favorites. I am not an anti-Abbado guy, either! It's a solid set, anyway.
    I've only been RITE-less for two months or so, and it's still a delicious, jagged, exotic piece of music.

17. California Couple

California Couple dislike us on facebook

This is my go to version:

[​IMG]

rockerreds likes this.
  18. California Couple

[​IMG][​IMG]

Strange but true. As the birds fly, Igor Stravinsky only lived seven houses away from the Whiskey A Go Go.

vanhooserd and Matt Richardson like this.
  19. California Couple

[​IMG][​IMG]

And Sergei Rachmaninoff only twelve from the Troubadour, as the birds fly.

Matt Richardson likes this.
  20. California Couple

Ooops, my mistake. Sergie died in 1943, 14 years before the Troubadour opened.

21. Diorama

Diorama Forum Resident

How have they been remastered? Digitally I assume!, Still that set looks sexy!

22. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

Amazing.

I finished the Messiaen/Cambreling set with more admiration than enjoyment. Liked some of the pieces much more than before (POEMES POUR MI) and some rather less (TURANGALILA, DES CANYONS). Very good sound.
    [​IMG]
    Messiaen: CATALOGUE D'OISEAUX (Anatol Ugorski - DG, 3cd)

Also much less thrilled about this piece than I once was. Probably not Ugorski's fault! Some fascinating colors, though.

Also a recording of QUARTET FOR THE END OF TIME performed by Messiaen with the Pasquier Trio.

Eigenvector likes this.
  23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I was looking for a CD with Beethovens first two symphonies, as I had sort of neglected them. First I got from Amazon a Japanese import of Jochum and Berlin on DG, recorded around 1959. The performances seem good, but the mastering is brutal. One of the worst classical masterings I have heard, sounding extremely bright and treble boosted. I could not finish the disc as I realized in disgust I had completely wasted $20. I usually avoid remastered discs, and I am reminded why. Then for under $7 each I bought Dohnanyi and Cleveland on Telarc, and Solti Chicago on London, both from around 1990. The Solti is the winner and keeper for me. These are strong, swift, direct, and propulsive performances, with excellent sound quality. Natural, well balanced, with good warmth and bass.

24. California Couple

[​IMG]

Just got this. Released in 1984, so I am only 34 years behind. Such a nice work.

J.A.W. likes this.
  25. Octave

Octave Shake Appeal

[​IMG]

J.S. Bach: THE COMPLETE LITURGICAL YEAR IN 64 CANTATAS
    (La Petite Bande, Sigiwald Kuijken - Accent, 19cd, 2017 - recorded 2004-2014)

From here to the new year. I kind of wish I'd used them HIP style and only played each cantata on its intended date to give them a sense of occasion, as a retort to bingeing. Maybe I will do just that next year.