Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Lush

Lush Forum Resident

2. Scooterpiety

Scooterpiety Ars Gratia Artis

That performance sounds nothing like Toscanini to me, though I confess I haven't heard it in a very long time.
    The recording of the Ninth which really does emulate Toscanini is the Munch/BSO RCA Victor Living Stereo from 1959. One of my favorites.

3. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A wonderful new release. (24/96 Qobuz)

[​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 5, 2019
    JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

These guys are amazing players. I think it's easier to follow the voices on the two guitars than with one keyboard.

[​IMG]

crispi and Eigenvector like this.
  5. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

6. coopmv

7. coopmv

8. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Out in the car today, I came into the middle of Beethoven's first pno. cto. when I turned on the radio--more properly, I came into the middle of the first mvt. cadenza. The recording turned out to be this, as listed in the station's online playlist:

Ludwig van Beethoven — Piano Concerto No. 1
    Key: C
    Opus: 15
    Conductor: Sir Simon Rattle
    Ensemble: City of Birmingham Symph Orch
    Lars Vogt, piano
    Angel/EMI, 56371

First and last mvt. cadenzas were unfamiliar and really wild. Anybody familiar with this recording? With Vogt, a new name to me? A pleasant bonus was that for once Rattle, generally a conductor I avoid, got a move on and didn't drag the thing out to some un-heavenly length. Quite the surprise all 'round, and a recording I may seek out for my own collection.

I guess that was some sort of karma making amends for our area's other FM classical station's having inflicted "Summer" from the "Four Seasons" led by Karajan on me earlier in the day. :disgust:

10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

If it's anything like his 1963 recording of Beethoven's pastoral symphony, then it must be a very chilly summer indeed.

drh likes this.
  11. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I haven't actually heard the recording, but if I'm not mistaken he uses cadenzas written by Glenn Gould. Maybe I will check this one out as well.

12. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Yes, I'm somewhat familiar with Lars Vogt. He made a few nice chamber recordings.
    Lars Vogt - Wikipedia

13. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Just bought:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    (sung in Italian)

[​IMG]

royzak2000, shnaggletooth and crispi like this.
  14. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Currently listening to...

BACH: The Art of Fugue/Musical Offering - Sir Neville Marriner/Academy of St. Martin in the Fields

(Philips Classics CD)

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Erik B., layman and 5 others like this.
  15. George P

So many great recordings in the Philips DUO series!

16. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Columbia MQ 582, 7-1/2 ips, 4-track reel:

Serkin - Beethoven: Three Favorite Sonatas (Moonlight, Apposionata, Pathetique)

I know that Beethoven dismissed that famous 1st movement of Piano Sonata no. 14, and claimed he didn't understand why it was so popular -- "Surely I've written better things!", or words to that effect.

False modesty concerning a work that for most composers would be their lifetime's crowning achievement, or, ho-hum, just another day at the office for Ludwig van?

Jazzicalit and Wes H like this.
  17. Jazzicalit

Now listening to Antonín Dvořák, Czech Suite, Op. 39
    Czech Philharmonic Orchestra / Libor Pešek

The first movement is pure poetry, and the entire work has an extraordinary delicacy and musicality. :)

[​IMG]

18. George P

This Rowicki set of the symphonies really helped me grow in appreciation of the composer:

[​IMG]

19. Jazzicalit

I did the same with the Erato box that I have recently bought ;). He is mostly known for his 9th Symphony, and I wanted to know better the other numbers. Among his works, I like very much the Tone Poems, the Piano Concerto in Gm op. 33 (wonderful) and the Cello Concerto in Bm op. 104. There is a lot of his chamber music I still have to listen to...!

Marzz and George P like this.
  20. George P

His piano concerto is wonderful. I have the Sviatoslav Richter recording.

Jazzicalit likes this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

Now there's a surprise! I'm sure you'll be astonished that I have it played by Friedrich Wuhrer. :whistle:

Dvorak wrote a lot of lovely music besides the chestnuts that always bob up on the radio. That said, I think it took him a while to find his true voice, and in general later tends to be better with this composer. That's especially true of the string quartets; I bought a complete cycle because I'd never heard any other than the "American" and maybe one or two others, and what I found was the first, oh, say, half of them were not all that appealing. Then they started getting better and better from that point forward.

Marzz, MikeF63 and George P like this.
  22. George P

Conducted by von Karajan? ;)

Was it this set? (I think we discussed this before. . .) I have it, but have not listened to it nearly enough. :hide:

[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  23. sound chaser

sound chaser Senior Member

Just discovered these:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

24. George P

Have not heard their Haydn, but I love their Schubert.

sound chaser likes this.
  25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Yes, it is, and yes, I think we have. If it makes you feel any better, I can say the same thing about how often I've played it. :oops: