Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Nice. I have seen that one around before and I like other Talich performances, so I will be sure to check it out.

Did you post the results and the contestants for your comparison at the time?

2. George P

George P Everybody's Lost Thread Starter

I definitely mentioned it, yeah. It came down to the Talich and the Quartetto Italiano. Since I prefer the latter's Beethoven by a large margin, I was surprised to see that I preferred the former in Mozart.

3. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

Played quite a few 4s really like this one.
    [​IMG]

Edwin Hawley, Wes H and Marzz like this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Nice. Yesterday I listened to my Bruckner 4 by Bohm and the Vienna Philharmonic from 1974 and really enjoyed it.

royzak2000 likes this.
  5. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first spin of this SACD I picked up used last week.

vanhooserd, Jazzicalit and Wes H like this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this explosive performance of the Bliss Piano Concerto by Solomon. The sound is not the greatest, but the playing is so good that it easily shines through.

Bubbamike, crispi and Marzz like this.
  7. George P

Info from Marston Records:

Take 20% Off!

Marston Records feels that our last three releases should be part of the collection of anyone with a love of the music of our recorded past. These are large CD packages and we want to make it easier for you to own these sets. So, choose at least two of the three sets listed above (John McCormack: A Patrician Artist ($185); Sidney Foster: Rediscovering an American Master ($72); Feodor Chaliapin: The Complete Recordings($175)), and take 20% off your total. Order today and enter the code 20%OFF at checkout. www.marstonrecords.com

This offer is good through 4 July 2019 and is only applicable for any combination of the three releases mentioned above.

cdgenarian, Robert C and Bubbamike like this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

The Rachmaninoff Etudes Tableaux are very special to me. (I wish Gould had recorded them!) These are hauntingly beautiful, dark, richly textured pieces that I love hearing reverberate through the house at night. Some so complex they must be the devil to play.

Tonight I'm listening to this 1975 performance by Jean-Philippe Collard on the Connoisseur Society label (recorded by Pathé Marconi EMI). Currently it's my favorite, though I have others (Ashkenazy and Webster come to mind) that get occasional play.

Anyone have a favorite set to recommend?

[​IMG]

Marzz and Eigenvector like this.
  9. George P

Hey Wes,

Great music and great pianist! I have yet to hear his Rachmaninov, but that it just because my Rachmaninov shelves are already bulging.

For a complete set of the etudes, Angelich is the very best I have found. His set has also been blessed with great sound.

My prior favorite for a set was Ogdon on Testament. I also have Ovichinokov's set on EMI, but have not heard it in awhile and I like the two aforementioned sets more.

For performances of individual Etudes Tableaux, my first pick is Gavrilov. I wish he'd done a complete set, because I bet it would be my favorite. My Richter recommendation for these works will come as no surprise, but he must be mentioned. And I recommend Berman's special performances on DG as well.

Jazzicalit, Marzz and Wes H like this.
  10. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Enjoying both of these while I work this morning:

[​IMG]
    Mozart: The "Haydn" Quartets. Hagen Quartett / DG.

[​IMG]
    Webern: Works for string quartet. Quatuor Debussy / Harmonia Mundi.

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

That's a lot to choose from! I'll start with Angelich, as I see copies available for very little $ (used) online. I very much like Ogdon's performance of Rachmaninoff's sonatas, so I'll check into his recording of the Etudes Tableaux as well.

I also have complete sets by Ruth Loredo and Michael Ponti, although I've not played them in a very long time. Perhaps I need to revisit them, but I don't recall being impressed by Loredo on first hearing... not the way I was struck by Collard.

Gavrilov, Richter, Berman... all great pianists and all great interpreters of Russian works. I'll definitely put them on the shopping "watch for" list, though I agree it's a pity that none of them tackled the complete sets.

I actually have a record with Rachmaninoff playing three of the Etudes. The audio isn't too great, as you might expect. Although he pounds them out with conviction, I have to say (IMHO) that others seem to mine these works for a little more depth.

And there it is. Thanks, George, for the great recommendations.

Jazzicalit, cdgenarian and George P like this.
  12. Jazzicalit

Jazzicalit In the Tradition

Chopin's Mazurkas today. And Rubinstein is one of the best :)

From this (treasure) box

[​IMG]

13. Jazzicalit

As I said, I have started to listen seriously to Rachmaninov's music very lately, so these informations and recommendations are precious for me too. Thanks ;)
    So far, my reference recording of the Etudes-Tableaux is that by Ashkenazy, but I will go ahead with other listenings and versions.

Wes H and George P like this.
  14. Jazzicalit

My favorite voices are basses, baritones and contraltos, and I have become a huge fan of the french singer Delphine Galou, who got married last summer with Ottavio Dantone (director of the Accademia Bizantina).

[​IMG]

Last May 31 Naive Classics put out two new cds by Delphine singing Vivaldi's arias and sacred cantatas:

[​IMG]

They surely will be among my next purchases :)

15. Jazzicalit

I often come back to Vivaldi's music. This morning I chose two BIS cds from my collection:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

BIS has always been one of my favorite labels, for the quality of artists and recordings in their catalogue. Both cds are excellent ;)

royzak2000, cdgenarian, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  16. harvard75

harvard75 Well-Known Member

If you haven't done so already, you will want to seek out her previous CD, "Agitata" on the Alpha label, also recorded with her husband and his band. The second cut, from La Betulia Liberata, is breathtaking. It made me a big fan of hers, and like you I will be buying these two new Vivaldi recordings. Her range, and her command of expression across that range, is both impressive and beautiful.

17. Jazzicalit

Agitata is a masterpiece! ;)

cdgenarian likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Any fans of this cellist? Man, his playing is beautifully expressive. This box set is OOP and the sound isn't state of the art, but the playing is so good that people should grab this set if you see it for a decent price.

royzak2000 and cdgenarian like this.
  19. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

Listening to The Seattle Symphony under Ludovic Morlot playing John Luther Adams' Becoming Ocean and Becoming Desert on Qobuz. Wonderful compositions, excellently recorded, beautifully done. Minimalism that is enjoyable

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  20. drh

drh Talking Machine

You can count me as one--ever since I was in college, when I bought a Columbia (ex-Melodyia) issue of Shafran and Anton Ginzburg in my first set of the Beethoven cello sonatas. (I was exceeding wet behind the ears--my reaction when I spotted it in the record store was, "Wow! Beethoven wrote music for cello?") It's remained near to my heart ever since. I've read elsewhere Shafran played a Cremonese instrument that he won in an all-Soviet-Union competition as a young artist and that remained his instrument for the rest of his days.

That said, beyond that Beethoven set, all I have of Shafran is a single 78.

cdgenarian and George P like this.
  21. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

One of the all time best. I have this box set which has become hard to find and expensive. The box set, Legendary Soviet Recordings has several Shafran discs which were released by Yedang.

George P likes this.
  22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

ClassicsToday review:

https://www.classicstoday.com/review/review-13559/?search=1

DANIEL SHAFRAN EDITION
    Review by: Dan Davis

[​IMG]
    Artistic Quality: 8
    Sound Quality: 5

Cellist Daniil Shafran (Brilliant transliterates his first name to Daniel) has become something of a cult figure, but his Russian recordings have been available only sporadically. So Brilliant’s 7-disc set of concertos and shorter solo works (mostly transcriptions) made between 1946 and 1984 is especially welcome, particularly at a price comparable to a pair of midrange reissues. The set leads with Bach’s Solo Cello Suites 2 through 5, played with bracing incisiveness and elegance within slightly Romanticized fast-slow contrasts, but compromised somewhat by close miking that gives his otherwise beautiful timbre a hint of nasality. That’s especially unfortunate as this effect recurs in some other works. Such sonic failings, typical of Soviet engineering of the 1940s and ’50s, should not be exaggerated though, since much in this set is eminently listenable, and only in a few pieces does distortion interfere with enjoyment.

For me, the highlight of the set is the last piece on Disc 7, Tchaikovsky’s Variations on a Rococo Theme, specifically the penultimate Variation, a Mozartian Andante sung by Shafran’s cello as if by a great lyric soprano and embodying the strengths of his artistry: extraordinary legato playing, tenderly placed rubatos that make the melody breathe, an emotional directness that springs from the heart of the player to the heart of the listener, a free, open top register, brilliant technique, pianissimos to die for, and passionate involvement. Fortunately, this great example of his art is captured in good sound, so Brilliant has to be wrong when it dates this live performance with Kondrashin as from 1949.

There’s much else to savor here too: a lyric reading of Prokofiev’s Symphony-Concerto; Shostakovich’s Second Concerto and Second Sonata, the latter with the composer at the piano; a ripe Haydn Concerto anachronistically but beautifully played; a sweeping Rachmaninov Sonata. There’s a host of shorter transcriptions, including Falla’s Suite populare Espagnole with equisitely-graded vibrato and dynamics, paired with Shchedrin’s In the Style of Albeniz, a deconstruction of Spanish gestures. Notable also is Shafran’s own arrangement of Schnittke’s Suite in the Olden Style, played with rhythmic liveliness and a Menuet movement that nails its satiric elements while respecting the work’s nostalgia for a bygone age.

Not everything in this set is perfect, but it’s all interesting–a feast of artistry by a great cellist. Super-budget though it is, this slim box in Brilliant’s admirable Historical Russian Archives series also includes a lengthy informative booklet. Strongly recommended.

Daedalus likes this.
  23. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Thanks for posting that review.

24. mBen989

mBen989 Forum Resident

Currently listening to this.

STRAVINSKY: Le Sacre du Printemps - Czech Philharmonic conducted by Karel Ancerl

[​IMG]

Something I found once in a thrift shop.

royzak2000 and Wes H like this.
  25. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

For those with the Legendary Soviet Recordings box (Yedang), about 2/3 of Shafran'a recordings from the Brilliant Edition can be found in it.

George P likes this.