Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

Nice! Willem van Hoogstraten, the conductor in her recordings with orchestra, was her husband at the time. I have those sets on 78s, and the notes for the Mozart, introducing the artists, say something along the lines of "Americans need no introduction to the name 'Willem van Hoogstraten,' so great is his fame in this country." Or words to that effect. Not, I think, something anyone would write today!

George P likes this.
  2. George P

George P Everybody's Lost Thread Starter

No, not at all. I hadn't heard of him before. Nice transfers on the set, by the way, with Seth Winner doing some of the newer transfers in it.

3. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoyed a second listen to this lovely CD yesterday and today. And now enjoying this gem:

[​IMG]

4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Forum Resident

That's a great Grieg disc.

George P likes this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Great Gilels!

TonyACT and George P like this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'm sure the Grieg is a delight, but of the two you showed this is the one that really caught my interest. I didn't know Czerny had written nocturnes--although I guess I should have; he wrote just about everything else, and lots of it! I'm always curious to hear his music, some of which definitely falls into the "unjustly neglected" category. And some of which definitely doesn't. In his mind boggling productivity, he was his own worst enemy, I think.

I'm not familiar with Editions Hortus. Is it a new, or relatively new, label? Also not familiar with Oehmichen, but then, those who essay Czerny on record tend not to be household names.

7. George P

Prior to getting this CD, I did not know Czerny wrote nocturnes either. My first classical love was Chopin's Nocturnes, specifically Arrau's recordings of the works, and since then I have collected many recordings of not just Chopin's Nocturnes, but Fields', Liszt's, etc. So when this disc popped up in a used shop I had to grab it!

Not familiar with the label either, sorry, so no info for you there. And not familiar with Oehmichen prior to this either. I can tell you these are lovely performances in excellent sound, which is good, since there doesn't seem to be much (any?) competition out there for recordings of Czerny's Nocturnes, which are occasionally similar to Chopin's, without being as developed. At other times, his Nocturnes are more dynamic, suggesting they would be better suited for the concert hall than the salon.

Sorry if i haven't been much help, but I can say I recommend this disc.

8. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying CD 01 from this set. I have only heard it once before, as I also have recordings of many of these works by Tacchino and Theraud that I love. This set has them beat for sound quality, though. The piano is vivid and clear.

9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks, George!

I went to put the Czerny disc into my Amazon cart, and I guess it's gone out of print. The sole copy available is from a marketplace seller asking $233 and change. :cussing:

Oehmichen has two other recordings in evidence, a set of Spanish dances by one Henri Collet ($38 +/-, also from a third-party seller; no label given) and a concerto by Leo Weiner ("currently unavailable"; Marcal Classics). Never heard of Collet; I think I've heard *of* Weiner but have not actually *heard* him.

Last edited: Oct 23, 2019
  10. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Daedalus likes this.
  11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a second listen to this 2CD set. The pianist was 79 at the time of this recording! Here's a sample:

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
    Daedalus, Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  12. George P

[​IMG] \

Found this in a used shop today, sealed and after reading a great review in MusicWeb. I decided to pick it up. I have only listened to the first CD, but so far I like what I hear. He plays this music with charm and beauty, and isn't afraid to flex his muscles when called for. The piano is captured beautifully. It was recorded in the old Teldec studios.

Wes H, Daedalus and Eigenvector like this.
  13. drh

drh Talking Machine

As I went out on an errand this evening, the local National Public Radio affiliate played Schumann's second piano trio, a work that I don't think I'd ever heard before. What I heard of it, as I popped into and out of the car a few times, was absolutely lovely. I find that I do have precisely one recording of the piece, which as far as I know I've never played, by the Beaux Art Trio on Philips D274423. I have no idea how or when I came to own it, and my usual reaction to that ensemble (storied as it may be) is more "that was solid" than "that was incandescent," but like most of my CDs it's copied to my server, and for now, that one will have to do. I hope to play it and give the piece my full attention later this evening. Adventure time!

Wes H, Daedalus and George P like this.
  14. George P

I should revisit that recording as well. I have it in this box set:

[​IMG]

Marzz and Daedalus like this.
  15. Daedalus

The big 60 cd box set is now priced into the stratosphere! I missed out when it was issued, but I do have a good number of their Lp releases. I find them to be superlative.

George P likes this.
  16. Daedalus

Speaking of chamber music. I intend to revisit during the week as time allows, the complete string quartets if Shostakovich as performed by the Borodin Quartet and recorded by Melodiya. I have a small number of the older performances by the Beethoven Quartet on Lp which I will also dust off.

17. George P

[​IMG]

Does anyone know if this new set features performances that are new to CD, or are they simply the stuff that has come before on Vista Vera?

18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a delightful reading of Schumann's second trio from the above set.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a first listen to this fine CD.

Eigenvector likes this.
  20. Daedalus

I don’t know-hard to find specific information. The best deal, however, seems to be those sets released by Scribendum.

21. Daedalus

This morning: a listen to Bruno Walter, Rudolf Serkin, Columbia Symphony Orchestra, Beethoven, Concerto for Piano and Orchestra 5 coupled with Schumann, Concerto for Piano and Orchestra in A minor, featuring Eugene Istomin, piano. Oh, and the coffee is steeping!

McLover, Wes H and bruce2 like this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

That record's 78 RPM predecessor was one of my earliest classical sets. Later, I lucked into a copy autographed by Serkin. (I also have my original copy; the autographed one has inferior pressings.) It was the recording from which I "learned" the piece, and I always enjoyed it. When, three or four years ago, I played it again for the first time in ages, although it still came across as an excellent performance, I was surprised at how messy the orchestra was.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Wes H, Daedalus and George P like this.
  23. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

I saw that this set gets released on Friday. One performance gets a first release and the whole thing is mastered by Mark Obert-Thorn.

Wes H and Daedalus like this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

I love his Songs Without Words on the same label and finally found a cheap copy of this 2CD set recently. I am only a few tracks in, but I am really enjoying this.

Daedalus, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Working to get the bugs out of an equipment installation (new USB audio interface), I called up something I'd not played in a while tonight--two of the etudes for left hand alone by Saint-Saens. I have a couple of recordings; the one I chose was by Swiss pianist Antoine Rebstein on Claves, a young artist into whom I'd stumbled a few years ago and then forgot, not having seen further recordings. Out of curiosity, I just checked online, and he now has a dedicated website. Seems he still specializes in left hand literature (a medical condition has impaired his right hand) but has taken up conducting, which appears to be his primary activity these days. According to the site, his orchestral associations are as follows:

Artistic Director, Junges Orchester der Freien Universitat, Berlin
    Founder, Kammerensemble Berlin
    Artistic Director, Schmockwitzer Orchester

Out of curiosity, have any of our European members here heard (of) him? I much liked the little bit I have found on records.

Daedalus likes this.