Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Forum Resident

Can't beat a bit of Harrison after a few Tequilas, mesmerising.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  2. royzak2000

I like it they don't go for the big tune thing, the pianism is sensitive, delicate.

Wes H and George P like this.
  3. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

These recent Reference Recordings SACDs are excellent, and the label's name speaks volumes about the sound quality!

[​IMG][​IMG]

Wounded Land likes this.
  4. royzak2000

5. George P

George P Everybody's Lost Thread Starter

Mikhail Rudy's EMI set is like that. Good sound too, something we don't often get from EMI.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    royzak2000 likes this.
  6. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I do exactly the same thing :hide:

George P likes this.
  7. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Feldman: Patterns in a Chromatic Field. Mathis Mayr, Antonis Anissegos. Wergo

royzak2000 likes this.
  8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Have not heard the Tipo or Sokolov recordings, but I'll definitely put them on my "watch" list.
    As for Moravec's Beethoven Pathetique -- yes, I have that in the 4-LP box set below, with some other popular Beethoven works. It's dated "1969" and is another great Connoisseur Society recording. Again, I'd agree his is one of the best Pathetique performances I've heard, though I'm sure I've not heard as many as you have.

[​IMG]

It's a pity that Moravec did not record a complete set of the Beethoven sonatas. Of those pianists who did, my favorites are the LP box sets below:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Please note that I've listed these in no particular order. It's very difficult for me to rank any one above the others, as I find endearing qualities in each of them and visit all of them often -- that is, more so than other Beethoven sonata cycles I've collected.

Eigenvector, J.A.W. and George P like this.
  9. George P

I fully agree about it being a pity that Moravec did not record the complete sonatas. I wish he'd recorded more piano music in general. He was incredible.

And that Gulda set is special. I have it on CD (Brilliant Classics.) His technique is incredible and he plays the music in a youthful, wonderfully self assured way. I should revisit that set again soon.

Wes H likes this.
  10. royzak2000

11. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I'd love to hear him play Beethoven's late sonatas. I have several Chopin and Debussy LPs on the Connoisseur Society label by him...all are mesmerizing.

Wes H and George P like this.
  12. George P

He's amazing with the French composers as well. This 2CD set, which is sadly OOP, is wonderful:

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  13. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I just ordered this LP from Discogs. At least I'll have at least one Beethoven recording by him!

[​IMG]

George P likes this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I strongly agree with all your points.

I assume Brilliant performed sort degree of remastering on the Gulda recordings. How do the CDs sound? I find the piano sound on my 1980 LP set to be very satisfying. IIRC, the original recordings were made in the late '60s; your CD set might identify the actual date.

15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Brilliant Gulda Beethoven Piano Sonatas set was recorded for Amadeo in 1967.

Wes H likes this.
  16. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Excellent! :righton: Connoiseur Society LPs were considered "audiophile" back in the day and it's fortunate that a talent such as Moravec recorded with them.

Let us know what you think of it.

George P likes this.
  17. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Ah! I'll add a note of that to my set.
    Thank you, Hans.

J.A.W. likes this.
  18. George P

The CDs sound quite good. Brilliant used uses the same mastering that Amadeo used for their original CDs. I confirmed that a few years back.

Wes H likes this.
  19. Kate_C.

Kate_C. Forum Resident

A great joy of the modern era is the breadth of fantastic and physically accessible contemporary classical, from orchestral arrangements to the spare beauty of a single piano plied to a thematic score as varyingly haunting, introspective, uplifting, and gripping as Fabrizio Paterlini's "Winter Stories".

It's 1845EST and I'm somewhat chagrined at involuntary confinement on a Friday night by the wet muffled resonance of a blitzkrieg infection that's completely claimed my lungs over the past 24hours; but I'm in good company with my music and a likeminded community here at the Forums! Anyway, with the first white stuff of the season forecast for Monday's temperature free-fall, this - my favourite track, "Snow" - seemed appropriate; one of those rare compositions that brings me to a wistful, eyes-closed stop in activity as I get lost in the spaces between gently falling notes.

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Beautiful! Thanks for posting.

Hope you feel better soon.

21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Oh, I know--I have quite a few LPs... and had several cassettes many years ago!

22. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Wee is a new name to me. While I've always loved Ogdon's and Lewenthal's recordings of Alkan, I must say this is impressive playing of these insanely difficult works. Very good sound.

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

From a record dealer out on the West Coast with whom I occasionally do business, I've ordered several Beethoven sonata recordings by Wilhelm Kempff in late DG "variable micrograde" 78 RPM pressings. It will be interesting to hear how they compare with his earlier 78 RPM series on Polydor (issued under license by Brunswick here in the States). Meanwhile, tonight I stumbled across what I'd say is the most appealing recording I've ever heard by Nellie Melba. I have a terrible confession to make: I've never really "gotten" all the hoopla surrounding her. "Ye Banks and Braes o' Bonnie Doon" may just change that, at least to a degree. What a disarmingly lovely recording! I've read and heard that her acoustic records (which is to say, as far as I know all her recordings except for a couple made from an electric feed at her farewell concert) generally do not do her justice; this one suggests those critiques may well be true. Perhaps the reason is that it may well be a better record than average technically. Certainly, the piano accompaniment is unusually realistic for an acoustic recording.

Wes H likes this.
  24. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Now up: Robert Schumann, Symphony 2 together with Overture, Scherzo and Finale. From the Karajan big box set. This is in the 70’s section. Karajan conducts Berliner Philharmoniker. Exemplary sound quality.

Wes H likes this.
  25. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Some stores now mention a November 22 release date. I hope this does not go the same way as Backhaus' Complete Decca Recordings box (delay upon delay), which has been put back to January 10.