Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

*Too much "conversing"...

Bubbamike likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

You're welcome.

3. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Kirill Petrenko
    Berlin Philharmonic
    Tchaikovsky: Symphony No. 6
    Berlin Philharmonic label CD/SACD

This is the first official recording from the new conductor of the Berlin Philharmonic. Kirill Petrenko. It was actually recorded in 2017 when the orchestra voted in favor of Petrenko. A very good recording.

There might be other recordings on the orchestra's download/streaming site. Wayne Garcia in Absolute Sound recommends this site, but I haven't joined yet. Too bad there doesn't seem to be a recording contract in the works.

[​IMG]

4. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A very fine violinist.

[​IMG]

harvard75 likes this.
  5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent playing and sound.

[​IMG]

6. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I was sort of reeling imagining what the SACD was going to cost with that packaging, but it's only $20. I have a way to sample the hi-res, I'll give it a listen next time I'm in the mood to hear this symphony. If you have listened to it what did you think?

7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

8. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

A powerful performance and well recorded.

[​IMG]

9. dale 88

I thought the SACD sound was very natural from the Berlin Philharmonic. It is not a spectacular sound here, maybe not as close up sounding as some engineers seem to like. But the sound is crankable. That is, I could turn it up without any ill effects that I could discern.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2019
    hvbias likes this.
  10. dale 88

Another CD/SACD from conductor Kirill Petrenko was issued eleven years ago on Channel Classics.
    Dejan Lazic, piano
    London Philharmonic
    Kirill Petrenko, conductor

Rachmaninov: Piano Concerto No. 2; Moments Musicaaux, op. 16.
    Channel Classics, 2008
    A fine recording and I enjoyed Mr. Lazic's piano.

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Bachtoven like this.
  11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning I am playing a CD from the concertos section of the DG 120 box: Beethoven, piano concertos 1,3. Wiener Symphoniker, conducted by Carlo Maria Giulini. Featuring Arturo Benedetti Michelangeli on piano. These are live recordings of televised concerts. Excellent.

George P likes this.
  12. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks, I was more interested in what you thought of the performance :) I have only heard this conductor on some YouTube video streams.

13. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I enjoyed the "Emperor" from this set this morning:

[​IMG]
    Beethoven: Piano Concertos. Daniel Barenboim, Otto Klemperer, Philharmonia Orchestra. Warner / originally EMI.

royzak2000, hvbias and Eigenvector like this.
  14. George P

While I am not a huge fan of Klemperer's Beethoven symphonies or Barenboim's Beethoven sonatas, something special happened when these two got together. I very much enjoy their EMI set of the Beethoven concertos.

Additionally, I love Barenboim's first set (not entirely sure if there were others) of Beethoven symphonies. So, maybe I'd like Klemp's Beethoven sonatas. :laugh:

15. JuniorMaineGuide

I've also been working through this set the past two days, basically my first foray into Xenakis' music. Very enjoyable.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Xenakis: Chamber music [1955-1990]. Claude Helffer, Arditti String Quartet. Montaigne / Naïve.

royzak2000, Daedalus and Bachtoven like this.
  16. JuniorMaineGuide

:laugh:

17. George P

I must admit, I have nothing by the composer, but I adore the Arditti QT. Enjoy!

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  18. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Excellent in every aspect. (Although I thought I heard an edit or two--could have been a Qobuz streaming artifact.)

[​IMG]

royzak2000, Rmihai0 and WaterLemon like this.
  19. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

I have a question.

What do you think about Kent Nagano's Varèse work? I saw there was a copy of the Apex 2 disc set available on Amazon and gave my brother the high sign.

20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I listened to some of this Tchaikovsky 6 recording online, so maybe I didn't get the full effect, but I passed on ordering the disc because I felt that the performance did not measure up to the Karajan from 1971 on EMI.

21. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

So did I, and while it was well played, the intensity level was too low for me. I vastly prefer that Gegiev I posted. (The newer one is also better than Gergiev’s older recording with the Vienna Phil.)

bruce2 likes this.
  22. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Thanks, low intensity Tchaikovsky's 6th is no good :) I'm just interested in some other interpretations at this point, I have some well established favorites- Mravinsky/Leningrad (DG) and Svetlanov/USSR State Symphony (Melodiya, 1967). And I have a real soft spot for Bernstein/NYPO because it's the first I heard early in my classical listening, but not sure I'd rate it so highly if it weren't for that.

bruce2 likes this.
  23. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks I may purchase that Gergiev disc you mentioned. As I said I love the Karajan from 1971, but the sound is a bit rough so I have been seeking alternatives. I also own the Reiner Chicago Symphony from 1957, and the Jansons Oslo Philharmonic which is good but I find lacks a little intensity as well.

24. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Be sure to get the newer one with the Mariinsky Orch. The Vienna one is perfectly good, but the music is in the Mariisnky's blood! The new one was actually recorded in 2010 but not released until this year. Mine is the Qobuz version--not sure if the psychical disc is CD or SACD. Most of the Mariisnky recordings have been SACD.

25. dale 88

Jonathan Biss
    Beethoven: Piano Sonatas Vol. 3
    Onyx, 2013
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector likes this.