Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I don’t, he’s my avatar because we have similar names :laugh: I like his playing but I’m not a huge aficionado. If the box weren’t OOP and expensive I would probably spring for it though.

George P likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Listening to this set now, I'm up to about halfway though the second disc. Really enjoying it! Thanks again for the recommendation! :wave:

Daedalus and dale 88 like this.
  3. George P

Yeah, I only got mine because I found it used a few years back for something Like $40 used. Got very lucky. (Same with the Cziffra EMI set.)

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  4. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Wow funny you mention this, I just culled this recording and removed it from my own shelves. I acquired an excellent sounding Japanese CD of the Mahler 9 by the Berlin Philharmonic conducted by Barbirolli, recorded in 1964, and vastly prefer it to the Karajan.

5. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Very well played and recorded.

[​IMG]

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

I'm listening just to the 81 minute quintuple fugue. :wtf:

[​IMG]

scompton likes this.
  7. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Norma Fisher at the BBC, Vol. 2
    Liszt; Schumann; Debussy; Andre Tchaikowsky
    Sonetto Classics, 2019
    2 CDs
    I liked her playing.
    [​IMG]

9. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

In today's Washington Post I see that Peter Serkin has died. I heard him a couple of times in recital, on one occasion being treated to some superlative Bach. I also have a few of his recordings, among them a particularly attractive collection of Mozart concerti and alternative versions of Beethoven's "Hammerklavier" on modern and period pianos. His was a distinctive and valuable musical voice, and even if it never achieved the "household word" status of his father's, it will be missed.

Marzz, George P and WaterLemon like this.
  11. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

https://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/pianist-rudolf-serkins-son-classical-pianist-peter-serkin-has-died-at-72.927127/

12. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

13. Daedalus

For those of you who have the Amazon music streaming service-I have discovered a large number of song compilations of Russian singers taken from recordings which were originally issued during the era of 78s. There are many opera singers of whom I was not aware. Also popular or traditional songs are included. I may be wrong but I think these recordings are only available digitally( unless one tries to collect the probably very rare 78s issued in Soviet Union).

Bubbamike likes this.
  14. Buzzman3535

Buzzman3535 Well-Known Member

Hello-

posed this question and was directed to ask it in this thread. Any recommendations would be appreciated:

I am basically a novice in the classical genre.

Could you recommend your favorite piece of music and tell me why its good.

I would like to spend some time with a few of the recommendations, but would like to understand in layman terms why its appreciated over and above other pieces.

I can't read music and I don't know more than the basics on the major composers. I am sure that enthusiasts have like 100 pet recommendations, but if you don't mind I don't want to suffer information overload.

Please pick on of your favorites. If I end up liking these I intend to buy on vinyl so if you want to include a pressing recommendation too that would be appreciated.

George P likes this.
  15. George P

Beethoven's sonatas were my first love in classical music and remain my favorite. Why is it good? It had great tension, excitement, beauty and drama.

A good start would be this CD:

[​IMG]

Wes H, Marzz and dale 88 like this.
  16. HiResGeek

HiResGeek Seer of visions

I will essentially reiterate what I posted in the OP's thread:

Since I don't know anything about your musical tastes, and classical music has so many different genres, there is a high degree of probability that what I suggest won't resonate with you. At the risk of skirting the rules, I will recommend a recording which is one of my favorites that I think also has broad appeal to a classical neophyte.

Bach: 6 Brandenburg Concertos
    Munich Bach Orchestra & Karl Richter
    Arkiv-DG

These are recommendable performances of some of the best-known pieces by arguably the greatest composer in Western history. I don't have a specific pressing to recommend to you, but I can provide a link to the discogs page which lists out various editions.

bach karl richter brandenburg music | Discogs

As @George P noted, the Beethoven "name" sonatas are another good place to start. There are many recommendable recordings of these - hundreds, in fact - but the Moravec disc he posted above is a solid recommendation.

17. Daedalus

I will throw out this as a favorite piece of music: Tchaikovsky 6th symphony, the Pathetique. One well known great performance would be the Leningrad Symphony conducted by Evgeny Mravinsky ( stereo). You can find it on CD or as LP-issued by DG. Why is it great? Well for me it is a commanding piece of symphonic music exploring a wide range of human emotion. It is the antithesis of cold heartless type of music.

dale 88 and George P like this.
  18. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

Janos Starker - Bach: Suites For Unaccompanied Cello Complete
    (45 RPM 200 Gram 6 LP Box Set) Ships Friday, anybody else pumped about this one? I know it is $180 bucks but I can't wait to get a copy of this version to see if it is improved from the SC

George P and Eric Sanday like this.
  19. George P

I don't do vinyl, but my shelves are already well stocked of performances I enjoy of these works; Casals, Fournier, Bylsma and Wispelwey.

Ron Jones likes this.
  20. George P

That is such a great work. I wrote a paper on it in college.

My favorite performance is the Bernstein on DG.

Daedalus likes this.
  21. Daedalus

Are these triple A?

22. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The performance is, but I guess you mean analogue recording/mixing/transfer :)

Daedalus likes this.
  23. Ron Jones

Here is the information on how they cut these:

Cut directly from the original 3-track, first-generation master tapes at 45 RPM by Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound using an AMPEX ATR-100 tape machine customized with 3-track flux magnetic heads!

These newly remastered Mercury Living Presence reissue LPs represent the state of the art of all-analog technology and production. Led by remastering supervisor Thomas Fine, son of high-fidelity recording pioneers C. Robert Fine and Wilma Cozart Fine of Fine Recording Inc. in New York City, these reissues were cut at 45 RPM directly from first-generation 3-track master tapes. A 3-2 channel mix was made directly to the cutting lathe, no "cutting master" tape stage, digital source or digital delay was used.

Thomas Fine made the 3-2 mixes with mastering engineer Ryan K. Smith at Sterling Sound's new facility in Nashville, Tennesee. Smith manually controlled groove margin and depth on his Neumann VMS-80 lathe, working with no preview signal and bypassing the lathe's margin-control computer. In doing so, he cut these sides the same way the original LP was cut by George Piros, who was Fine Recording Inc's VP and head of mastering. As with the original LP, no "sweetening" equalization or dynamic range control was used.

The definitive recording and perrformance of these works by JS Bach was originally released as a 3LP Mercury Living Presence Stereo SR3-9016, original mint copies of which command hundreds of dollars on the preowned LP market. Hungarian-American cellist János Starker epitomized refined elegance and superbly subtle bow work. Starker, who died in April 2013, was one of the 20th century's most renowned cellists.

Starker's recording of the Suites from 1965 makes a lasting impression on the listener, and even record producers who are well used to recorded excellence have been highly impressed. Starker's full-bodied sound and technical brilliance are complemented by his finely chiseled interpretation that lends immense expression to Bach's thrilling harmony and verve to the strict rhythmic construction of the movements.

This 6LP set, cut at 45 RPM, allows for the full dynamics present on the master tapes to shine through masterfully, as the wider-spaced grooves across the six sides, instead of three, let your stereo cartridge track more accurately. Housed in a glossy lid-style box reproducing the original artwork. Plated and pressed at Quality Record Pressings, makers of the world's finest-sounding LPs.

Wes H and Daedalus like this.
  24. Ron Jones

If you had to just pick one of Casals, Fournier, Bylsma, and Wispelwey which one would you take George? I'm still a novice on the Classical Music side and just wondered who was your favorite of these works.

Thanks,

25. George P

Hi Ron,

I would surely pick this Wispelwey set:

[​IMG]

Ron Jones and Marzz like this.