Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Get the additional box set of the Taneyev string quartets performed by the Taneyev Quartet issued by the same label. Also excellent.

Marzz and George P like this.
  2. Daedalus

This morning: CD 75 from the big DG 120 box. There are many excellent recording in this box.[​IMG]

3. Someone In A Tree

Someone In A Tree Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Listened to this last night for the first time. And on top of the fingerwork, I was impressed with the sound. Some DG piano discs are disappointing in this department. And this is recorded live, to boot! Brahms/Rachmaninov/Schubert/Ravel.

4. Daedalus

5. Daedalus

This morning I am listening to this vinyl box set recently acquired at a shop in Boston. I have the CD set which is part of the Bruno Walter new box set. I have the old fancy woven cloth blue label Columbia set as well. The vinyl set is very alive and immediate. This is Columbia 6 eye.[​IMG]

Marzz, Wes H, bruce2 and 2 others like this.
  6. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

I recently noticed that Karajan's 1963 Beethoven cycle is soon to appear on import SHM-SACD. Does anyone have any observations on recent DG SHM-SACD releases versus their non-SHM counterparts? The Blu-Ray version of this recording is available at an attractive price. (Sorry if this question is old hat. I've done multiple searched and found little discussion of the high-res releases of the 1963 Karajan Beethoven).

7. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Well, I'm going to answer half of my own question in a few weeks. I picked up the Blu-Ray version of the 1963 Karajan recordings from a UK seller to compare with my somewhat dodgy LP set. While I hope this scratches my Karajan itch, I'm still interested in impressions of the recent DG SHM-SACD releases if anyone cares to share. Thanks.

8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

The SHM SACD that I heard, in comparison to a non audiophile mastering of a CD was quite different. At first, I didn't like the sound very much at all. It seemed thinner, distant, kind of like an X-ray of the sound I was used to hearing. Over time, it grew on me, though, and now I like it a bit more than the original. This is the SHM SACD (left) and 2 CD set (right) I am referring to:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

9. George P

Today I saw this set of Beethoven sonatas (all recorded live) in a local store:

[​IMG]

Having never heard of this pianist (or this set) before I did some Googling and found this interesting interview with the pianist:

I listened to much of the video walking around the record store and, after listening to some samples on Presto (just listen to unique take on the opening to the Les Adieux sonata), decided to pick up the set. In the interview, he talks about researching different editions, likening the process to that of a private investigator who is seeking out the hidden truths in the music. He also talks about focusing a bit more on bringing out the emotion in the music. And he gives praise to Annie Fischer's set. These three things really made me want to hear his interpretations.

Tonight I listened to his Op. 2 sonatas and really enjoyed them. His playing is confident, clear and unique without being eccentric. The slow movements have great emotional depth and drama, while his outer movements (with one exception) are powerfully strong, while remaining classical in style. His performances are a joy to listen to, as one gets the impression that the pianist really is inside this music and he is playing it in a way that is distinctly unique to him. Still, I hear elements of Backhaus, Annie Fischer and Schnabel in his playing, though he certainly sounds younger than Backhaus and more grounded than Annie Fischer and Schnabel.

10. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

This set is on my “investigate” list. Thanks for this write up! Now I’m even more curious to check it out.

11. George P

No problem!

It's reasonably priced right now at amazon. $49.99 shipped free with Prime.

Eigenvector likes this.
  12. George P

Marston Records | Home

Just got this in an email from Marston records (Below I have pasted the tracklisting):

Happy belated New Year from Marston Records!

We are excited to announce a surprise piano release to begin the new decade which will be shipped beginning next week: Landmarks of Recorded Pianism, Volume 2. In this second volume of the series, producers Ward Marston and Gregor Benko once again select piano recordings of great historical significance. There are several broadcast items presented: “live” performances by Rosenthal of Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2, as well as Mark Hambourg playing Tchaikovsky’s Concerto No. 1 and short selections from a Japanese broadcast by Ignaz Friedman, all of which expand our understanding of these pianists’ artistic contributions. Additional broadcast performances by Etelka Freund, Percy Grainger and Reah Sadowsky, plus a unique broadcast of Grace Castagnetta improvising, are joined by commercial recordings of composer Federico Mompou and pianists Rosita Renard and Frank La Forge that have never been reissued before, as well as what is probably the earliest fortepiano recording, Arnold Dolmetsch playing the first movement of the Moonlight Sonata. The volumes of this ongoing series will likely prove to be cornerstones of any library of historical piano recordings.

If you are an All-Preferred or Piano-Preferred customer, you will receive this set automatically, but please contact us if your credit card details have changed recently. Otherwise, click the image below to view this set on our website or to place an order.

Best regards,

The folks at Marston

CD 1 (78:58)
    Moritz Rosenthal (1862–1946)
    1. Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C-sharp Minor (Liszt-Rosenthal) 10:44
    11 February 1929; New York City; Edison Hour Broadcast; unpublished
    2. Hungarian Rhapsody No. 2 in C-sharp Minor (Liszt-Rosenthal) 7:47
    16 April 1930; Berlin; (30473/4) Ultraphon F 486
    Percy Grainger (1882–1961)
    3. Introductory Remarks by Grainger 1:02
    4. Toccata and Fugue in D Minor, BWV 565 (Bach-Tausig) 8:44
    5. Scotch Strathspey and Reel (Grainger) 3:48
    6. Irish Tune from County Derry (Traditional, arranged Grainger) 3:31
    22 July 1953; Midwestern Music Camp recital at University of Kansas; unpublished
    Federico Mompou (1893–1987)
    7. Canción y Danza No. 1 (Mompou) 2:52
    13 December 1929; Barcelona; (BJ 2830-2) Spanish HMV AA 172
    8. Canción y Danza No. 2 (Mompou) 3:01
    13 December 1929; Barcelona; (BJ 2831-2) Spanish HMV AA 172
    9. Canción y Danza No. 3 (Mompou) 3:05
    20 December 1929; Barcelona; (BJ 2863-4) Spanish HMV AA 175
    10. Valse in A Minor, Op. 34, No. 2 (Chopin-Mompou) 2:38
    20 December 1929; Barcelona; (BJ 2864-1) Spanish HMV AA 177
    11. Secreto (Mompou) 2:23
    20 December 1929; Barcelona; (BJ 2865-2) Spanish HMV AA 177
    12. Canción y Danza No. 4 (Mompou) 2:29
    29 January 1930; Barcelona; (BJ 3027-1) Spanish HMV AA 175
    13. Canción y Danza No. 6 (Mompou) 3:15
    Late June 1944; Barcelona; (T6917-2) Spanish HMV private issue
    14. Paisajes No. 1: La fuente y la campana (Mompou) 3:34
    Late June 1944; Barcelona; (T6918-1) Spanish HMV private issue
    Ignaz Friedman (1882–1948)
    15. Polonaise in A-flat, Op. 53 (Chopin) 6:37
    28 February 1933; London; (CAX 6733-1/6734-3) Argentinian Columbia 264968
    16. Mazurka in B-flat, Op. 7, No. 1 (Chopin) 2:11
    17. Polonaise in B-flat, Op. Posthumous (Chopin) 4:23
    18. Song Without Words, Op. 67, No. 4, “Spinning Song” (Mendelssohn) 1:50
    19. Prelude in D-flat, Op. 28, No. 15, “Raindrop” (Chopin) 5:03
    8 October 1933; Tokyo; Studio Broadcast; unpublished

CD 2 (79:54)
    Frank La Forge (1879–1953)
    1. Pasquinade (Caprice), Op. 59 (Gottschalk) 3:14
    1 October 1912; Camden, New Jersey; (B-12420-4) Victor 45050
    Rosita Renard (1894–1949)
    2. Madrigal (Monteverdi-Alderighi) 3:09
    17 December 1929; New York City; (E31524) Brunswick 41257
    3. Feuxd’artifice, No. 12 from Préludes Book II (Debussy) 3:07
    28 February 1930; New York City; (E32021) Brunswick 41257
    Reah Sadowsky (1915–2012)
    4. Transcendental Etude in B Minor, Op. 11, No. 10, “Lezghinka” (Lyapunov) 7:33
    17 September 1944; New York City; WNYC Studio Broadcast; unpublished
    Mark Hambourg (1879–1960)
    Concerto No. 1 in B-flat Minor, Op. 23 (Tchaikovsky)
    5. I. Allegro non troppo e molto maestoso—Allegro con spirito 17:52
    6. II. Andantino semplice—Prestissimo—Tempo I 6:31
    7. III. Allegro con fuoco—Molto meno mosso—Allegro vivo 6:54
    25 February 1955; London; BBC Symphony Orchestra conducted by Malcolm Sargent; unpublished
    Arnold Dolmetsch (1858–1940)
    Sonata No. 14 in C-sharp Minor, Op. 27, No. 2, “Moonlight” (Beethoven)
    9. I: Adagio sostenuto 5:07
    ca. 1933; location unknown; (19/18) Dolmetsch Recording No. 8
    Etelka Freund (1879–1977)
    Sonata No. 23 in F Minor, Op. 57, “Appassionata” (Beethoven)
    9. I. Allegro assai 9:11
    10. II. Andante con moto 5:36
    11. III. Allegro, ma non troppo—Presto 7:52
    29 September 1951; New York City; WNYC Studio Broadcast; unpublished
    Grace Castagnetta (1912–1998)
    12. Improvisation on four notes (Castagnetta) 3:47
    20 July 1944; New York City; Concert Broadcast; unpublished

Last edited: Feb 21, 2020
    Daedalus and Walter H like this.
  13. George P

In case you haven't seen this:

Eigenvector likes this.
  14. George P

And this:

Eigenvector likes this.
  15. George P

This, along with the two preceding videos, was mentioned in the liner notes to the new set of Beethoven sonatas by Lifschitz:

Daedalus likes this.
  16. Daedalus

At the office. Nice warm recording from 1965.[​IMG]

Marzz likes this.
  17. Fischman

Fischman RockMonster, ClassicalMaster, and JazzMeister

A wonderful collection.
    I seem to have a lot of Beethoven on Philips.

George P likes this.
  18. Eigenvector

Eigenvector Forum Resident

These are very interesting! I had to wait till I got home to watch them. Thanks for finding and posting these videos!

George P likes this.
  19. George P

My pleasure. I am really enjoying them. I love how well and how confidently the pianist speaks about the music. Yesterday I listened to the second disc from his box set (Op. 10) and enjoyed that as much as the first.

Eigenvector likes this.
  20. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

I have been on a Brandenburg Concertos kick lately. The only recording I have is the Dunedin Consort on Linn SACD, which I actually discovered on this thread a few years ago! I wanted to get another recording, something with a different flavor on 'modern' instruments. I am not necessarily a fan of period performance practice on period instruments. I did some research and listened online, and ended up taking a shot and ordering a Japanese SACD of Carl Schuricht and the Zurich Baroque Ensemble from 1966. I listened to a lot of it on youtube and for some reason just really enjoyed it. Is anybody familiar with this recording of the Brandenburg Concertos and can share their opinion on it?

21. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

I haven’t heard the Schuricht, but for a modern instrument, non-HIP Brandenburg I like Britten conducting the English Chamber Orchestra. They sound gorgeous and imo Britten has a special way as a conductor.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  22. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Thanks for that. Damn I think I noticed the Britten once as I was searching around online, but for some reason did not explore it.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  23. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    I find Zinman's recordings of Richard Strauss very good.

Strauss: Sinfonia Domestica; Parergon
    David Zinman
    Tonhalle Orchestra Zurich
    Arte Nova, 2003

George P likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

I listened to CD 03 from Lifschitz's set over the last few days. I listened to it twice because the first time it didn't click for me like the first two discs did. His playing continues to be unique, but on CD 03 the (slower than usual) tempos and (at times, odd) phrasing don't work for me as well as they did for his first two discs. I enjoyed his Op. 7 the most on the disc, but his Pathetique sonata was disappointing. I plan to listen to more of the set later in the week.

JuniorMaineGuide likes this.
  25. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven