Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

An incredible story.

Walter H, Marzz and drh like this.
  2. George P

Beroff's Prokofoev concertos on the same label are excellent. Have you heard them?

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Wow! Victor Borge couldn't have done it half so well--and this wasn't planned. Thanks for posting that!

Marzz and George P like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Regrettably, no... I don't have a lot of his recordings.

One recording by Michel Béroff that stands out in my mind is this DG album of Ravel he shares with Martha Argerich.
    He does a great job as soloist in the Concerto For The Left Hand. Recorded in 1987 at Abbey Road Studios.

[​IMG]

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

Further reaction: curious to hear how she plays when the piano isn't sinking out from under her, I just ordered a couple of her CDs. In one, she plays Chopin nocturnes and ballades; in the other, Bach preludes and fugues and the Beethoven 5th Sym. (no word about the transcribers/arrangers). Again, thanks for posting the video.

George P likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

I have them on EMI/Pathe Marconi and Angel LPs. I like the 1st cto.; don't think I've played the others. I also have the same Brahms record pictured above and Beroff and Collard with Ivaldi and Lee in Paris, a suite for four pianos (!) by Milhaud, also on Connoisseur Society. To be honest, I'm not sure I've ever played that one; I think maybe I'll dig it out later tonight and give it a spin.

[edit] Beroff's presence there is incidental; the focus of the record is Ivaldi and Lee in Scaramouche and some other, more unusual Milhaud works (one solo for each of them and another duet).

[further edit] Much as I like Beroff's cto. 1 recording, my favorite is Sviatoslav Richter with the Moscow Youth SO under Kondrashin (Musical Masterpiece Society LP), despite the rather dubious recording quality.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    George P likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Thanks! We think alike. I was thinking to pull that disc as well a couple of days ago but I got derailed by Poulenc. :D
    They are my go to SS Piano Concertos. I have the Hough and a couple others but the Collard's are my favorites. Hough is too fast IMO.

8. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning in Multi Channel-
    [​IMG]

9. George P

Yeah, I'm no fan of Hough in general. My co-favorite for the concertos is Roge/Dutoit.

Rose River Bear likes this.
  10. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

11. George P

Speaking of Poluenc . . . now enjoying this CD from this box set:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mirror Image, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  12. George P

Now enjoying this CD from this box set:

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Mirror Image, dale 88 and Wes H like this.
  13. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

recent listening:
    Grigory Ginzburg
    His early recordings, volume 1; Liszt, Beethoven, Balakirev.
    APR, 2008
    [​IMG]

George P, crispi and Bubbamike like this.
  14. MikaelaArsenault

15. MikaelaArsenault

16. MikaelaArsenault

17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying another great recommendation from this thread. Absolutely gorgeous!

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    Wes H, crispi and Eigenvector like this.
  18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Listening to Clifford Curzon play Beethoven Fifteen Variations, Op.35 (Eroica Theme and Fugue) and the Schubert Moments Musicaux, Op.94.
    Recorded by Decca in The Maltings concert hall, Snape, February 4-6, 1971 (Schubert), and April 14-17, 1971 (Beethoven). LP released by Decca/London 1971.

[​IMG]

crispi, Marzz, J.A.W. and 2 others like this.
  19. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Looks like another item for my "wish list"... I like both Collard and Previn.
    Do you have all five concertos in one box, or are these individual CDs?

20. George P

Three individual CDs.

21. George P

Wes H likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

My Eliane Rodrigues CDs arrived Friday, and yesterday I played part of the Bach/Beethoven one. All the transcriptions are by the pianist herself. Unfortunately, after two preludes and fugues, as I just was starting the Beethoven 5th Sym. transcription, I got a phone call, and that was the end of my CD listening time for the day. That said, I can offer a tentative impression on brief exposure: this pianist's work as a transcriber is not for purists. If your idea of what Bach should be on the piano is the Angela Hewitt school of dry, sober, literal, uninflected presentation, stay away. If you are a lover of such hyphenated composers as Bach-Liszt or Bach-Tausig, however, and performance approach that is more free than strict, you may find much to enjoy here. For myself, I'm not quite sure what to make of her yet--at least on the basis of what I've heard so far, she's definitely not "in the mainstream" as we think of it today!

[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  23. drh

drh Talking Machine

I should add, the works on the disc are as follows:

Bach: Prelude and Fugue in G, BWV 541
    Bach: Fantasia and Fugue in g, BWV 542
    Beethoven: Symphony no. 5 in c, op. 67
    Bach: Prelude and Fugue in a, BWV 543
    Bach: Toccata and Fugue in d, BWV 565

She plays a Fazioli F308 concert grand; the recording was made Oct. 16-17, 2019 at Studio 1 of the Music Center of the Omroep in Hilversum, The Netherlands.

The disc is Navona nv6285

Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of the Beethoven-Liszt 5th sym. transcription for comparison.

George P likes this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

This is what you need... ;)

[​IMG]

25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the final two concertos from the above series. As with the other two discs, great playing and lively dynamics in the recording.

crispi, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.