Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

I've been listening to some of my recordings of the 9th and tonight I an enjoying this one. The 1963 recording by the same conductor is a bit more fiery, but this 1977 one has the sublime performance of the slow movement.

2. Bubbamike

Bubbamike Forum Resident

I don’t believe it is still in print but this is a possibility.

Living stereo

thnkgreen likes this.
  3. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have more performances of this work than I care to admit....crazy. Anyway, this one is in my top three and could be my first choice. The three channel SACD sounds great.

4. George P

Sorry, I just saw your question.

To me, the repertoire on that SACD is mostly a whole lot of bombast and fireworks. For this purpose, I think it is done quite well. And it is in good sound, for sure. But again, I find these are more showpieces than "deep performances of deep music."

I got the SACD new last week from amazon for $9.99.

Wes H likes this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

I finally got up the courage (and got sufficiently free of acoustic dupes) to play the Rheinberger/Handel set tonight. The news is good but not great; the records do in fact look like wrecks, and once on the turntable they proved not only to be seriously worn but also to have difficult-to-track warps. They play with a *lot* of noise. In short, they do not play like dreams by any stretch of the imagination. BUT...here's the good news: they do play, and despite the noise the music underneath is clean. Even that brutally scratched up side played through without skipping or even audible evidence of the damage, perhaps because the general ambient noise masked it.

The little I'd read about these records had me expecting the performances to be on the drab side, but not at all--they were nicely balanced at reasonable tempos, the organ sounding more like a chamber type than a big, booming Romantic instrument and the unnamed orchestra being decently nimble, with good ensemble. Recording quality was not at all bad, although whatever system Polydor had adopted--light ray, maybe? I don't think it was the Western Electric system--tended to clip off hall echo. Again, some of that may be attributable to masking by the heavy surfaces. Nonetheless, all in all I'm happy with the purchase, although I do wish it were a bit less beaten up!

crispi likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

7. shnaggletooth

shnaggletooth Senior Member

Expanding on what you wrote, here's something I just found web-browsing:

Wes H and drh like this.
  8. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listening to an old 1990 Sony CD
    Beethoven
    Violin Sonatas No. 5,9,10
    Zino Francescatti
    Robert Casadesus
    Sony, 1990

[​IMG]

Wes H, Eigenvector and George P like this.
  9. dale 88

Has anyone purchased the new box set (available May 8, 2020) of the complete Beethoven Sonatas by Zino Francescatti and Robert Casadesus? This includes the earlier mono recordings too.

[​IMG]

Wes H and George P like this.
  10. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

No, though it looks good.

I have their later recording on a 4-LP box set:

[​IMG]

crispi and Eigenvector like this.
  11. dale 88

A very nice LP set. My single CD had no information about the recording at all. The blurb about the new set says the stereo cycle was recorded in Paris in 1959 and 1961.

George P likes this.
  12. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Giving this another listen.

VARÈSE: The Complete Works - Royal Concertgebow Orchestra and ASKO Ensemble conducted by Riccardo Chailly

[​IMG]

ciderglider likes this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to this stunning CD.

tomymontana, Wes H and dale 88 like this.
  14. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Marriner was listed as music conductor for the film, Amadeus. I suppose it's possible this recording was used in the film... and I recall being impressed by that performance.

tomymontana, crispi and George P like this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Haven't heard this one in a very long time. I may have only heard it once. Going to give it a spin later this afternoon.

dale 88, Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Looks like an interesting disc. On CD I have only the op. 135 set (for left hand alone) in a recording by Leon Fleisher and op. 52/6 from that big Aldo Ciccolini box set. I have another traversal of op. 135 on LP by somebody named Ringeissen on the Ades label and a complete op. 52 by Marylene Dosse in a VoxBox, and I have a few copies of "Etude en forme de valse" on LP and 78. To be honest, I can't claim to have played any of them more than a time or two, and I don't remember much about them.

[Edit] Inspired by the foregoing, I just played the Fleisher set, and there's some enchanting music in there. Writing good left hand music, making it sound like something more, is an art, and Saint-Saens clearly had a good grasp of it. Once again, no. 3 is the cursed number; I found it relatively uninspired; no. 5 was a bit of a mixed bag, but the other four were all charming and lovely.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2020
    George P and Wes H like this.
  17. George P

Good to know, David. I am just about to put the aformentioned disc on now.

18. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I'm way behind on these, as I only have the Op. 52/6 that David mentions from the Aldo Ciccolini box. So I checked into the Hyperion disc and found a surprising 22 tracks. Never realized Saint-Saën wrote so many.
    This is definitely music to acquire soon.

George P likes this.
  19. George P

The music has a lot of different flavors. I hear Bach, Chopin, Liszt and Rachmaninoff in there.

And the sound is lovely.

Wes H likes this.
  20. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the first symphony from this box set.

Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  21. drh

drh Talking Machine

If you like the Saint-Saens left hand etudes, you might also enjoy Max Reger's four special studies for piano, left hand alone. They comprise a scherzo, vivace, romanza, and--a quite serious, richly textured prelude and fugue. For left hand. Only Reger....

Anyhow, I have two recordings of the set on CD, one by Frederick Moyer on GM and one by Markus Becker on Thorofon. I just made reacquaintance with the latter, and I was reminded just how enjoyable these pieces are and how skillfully they are contrived to give the illusion of two hands playing. Good stuff.

Wes H and George P like this.
  22. George P

Wes H likes this.
  23. dale 88

Do you want to have some musical fun? I wouldn't want to be without this version of the Saint-Saens. Beautiful sound.
    [​IMG]

Saint-Saens: The Carnival of the Animals
    original small group version
    Erato, 2004

It is also included in the box set of Michel Dalberto's Complete Erato Recordings, 17CDs.
    [​IMG]

George P likes this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Now listening to this glorious 2CD set. Big fan of Grumiaux.

Wes H, dale 88 and Eigenvector like this.
  25. McLover

McLover Senior Member

Now listening to the 1966 recording by Telefunken/Das Alte Werk (Black label original Stereo) of Bach's Overtures 1-4. Concentus Musicus Wien/Nikolaus Harnoncourt. Superb performance, and splendid recording. Scored today in nice condition for $3. Near mint records, VG linen box.