Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Here is a Novak I played the other day.[​IMG]

Wes H and Ian Roberts like this.
  2. Daedalus

Another CD from the box set mentioned above-Bruckner’s Symphony 1 and Hindemith’s “Pittsburgh Symphony”. Rozhdestvensky conducting Grand Symphony Orchestra of Radio and Television. ( 1983 and 1965 recordings, respectively)

3. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Forum Resident

Loving this
    [​IMG]

mBen989, ggjjr and Wes H like this.
  4. Ian Roberts

[​IMG]
    Next up. Wonderful discovery.

5. Daedalus

Presently playing this CD of a delightful performance of a favorite piece of music. From my Monteux box set.[​IMG]

Starwanderer, mBen989, Marzz and 4 others like this.
  6. Daedalus

This morning. The oft-reissued audiophile favorite:[​IMG]

Starwanderer, George P and Wes H like this.
  7. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

The recent Reinhard Goebel discussion led me to try to find some videos of him in action and found this one of him holding, of all things, a Beethoven masterclass! Even if you don't understand German, you can still see that he is a very sprightly and spirited individual. It's a very recent video, as you can see by the fact that everyone is wearing masks.

Starwanderer and George P like this.
  8. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

George, just in case you haven't seen this and to add to @drh's "amazon" post, more detailed information is on the Eloquence site (click on Tracklisting/Recording information, etc)
    The Legacy of Charles Munch – Eloquence Classics

It's a very well done release.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:50 PM
    George P likes this.
  9. Marzz

Marzz Forum Resident

Ian, don't think the Cafe Zimmermann have been mentioned yet and if you don't already have it, run out now and grab this box immediately!

https://www.amazon.com/Cafe-Zimmermann/dp/B07HSRY4TN

That's a complete 16 CD set but there's also an earlier 6 CD Bach Brandenburg release. The discs have also been released individually, may even be a cheaper option. Your disc (Frisch) above is included in the box. The 6 cds of the Brandenburg Concertos are superb! I'd also add the CPE Bach, then Vivaldi. These may be on Spotify, etc to sample?

For reference only this is the earlier JS Bach (only) 6cd box (I have this one)

https://www.amazon.co.uk/J-S-Bach-C...eywords=Cafe+Zimmermann&qid=1593564244&sr=8-1

The recent release is cheaper and has an additional 10 CDs.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020 at 8:56 PM
    Ian Roberts likes this.
  10. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Thanks, Marzz!

Marzz likes this.
  11. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

I've always liked the Season 5 theme song to The Cosby Show:

It’s such a nice arrangement as well.

12. Daedalus

Another favorite this morning from the Monteux box:[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  13. Ian Roberts

Hi Marzz. Thanks very much indeed. I really enjoyed the Céline Frisch cd. First harpsichord album that I’ve listened to. I’ll definitely look these up. Very interesting. Might see if on Spotify to sample first

Marzz likes this.
  14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this great SACD. I was reminded of it by this survey by Hurwitz:

15. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 2 from the above set. CDs pressed in Japan.

16. Daedalus

This morning foggy and early:[​IMG]

Starwanderer, Marzz, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  17. Daedalus

Got this box set yesterday. I will start listening later today.[​IMG]

Starwanderer and J.A.W. like this.
  18. Daedalus

A beautiful recording. From the Monteux box. [​IMG]

19. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 7-14 from the above set. CDs pressed in Japan.

I was enjoying Op. 2 so much yesterday that I almost ordered the COmplete Backhaus box, but then I realized I had about 65% of it already and the bits I don't have I am not that keen on. Plus, I would then have to get rid of all the individual box set and CDs since my space is limited. So, I'm sticking with what I got!

20. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Y'know, George, that's often the conclusion I've come to when tempted by "Complete" editions or "Newly Remastered" releases of music I already have. Admittedly, most of my music collection is old and a lot of it is vinyl, but it serves--and has served--me quite well.

Don't get me wrong: I think today's new box sets are superb and I'm very happy for those I see buying them. It's a thrilling time now for anyone amassing a classical music collection, with studios digging into their vaults to release these beauties with a low per-disc cost.

However, for me to part with my money for a new box set, I would have to really want it because (a.) it's music I don't have, or (b.) a revelatory new performance/interpretation, or (rarely) the remastering has vastly improved a recording I especially love.

I do make exceptions, though... if the price is dirt cheap or the item in question is by GG. ;)

George P and Eigenvector like this.
  21. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

[​IMG]
    Reger: Telemann Variations/ Erik Then-Bergh
    Beethoven: Diabelli Variations/ Paul Baumgartner
    Eloquence, 2017
    Originally recorded for the Archiv label.
    The Reger variations were recorded in 1951.
    The Diabelli variations were recorded in 1952.
    Erik Then-Bergh didn't record the 20th Reger variation. He is on record as telling a student that he thought number 20 was boring.

22. drh

drh Talking Machine

Far be it from me to argue with the esteemed pianist, but--no. Besides being quite a lovely, airy passage in its own right, it serves as a transition in color and texture between the contrasting 19th and 21st variations. I've always felt that Reger structured the set as an organic whole. Leaving out a variation would upset that vision.

Marzz and Wes H like this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Playing the Chopin Piano Concerto No.2 tonight. French pianist Samson François is soloist. Album also includes the Rondo In C For Two Pianos, Op. 73, where François is joined by Pierre Barbizet.

LP made in France by Pathé Marconi EMI, released in 1972. The recording must pre-date this particular release by a few years, since François died in 1970.

[​IMG]

Images of Chopin and Samson François from the album gatefold:

[​IMG]

crispi, Starwanderer, Marzz and 5 others like this.
  24. George P

I need to revisit his Chopin in the big EMI CD set.

Wes H likes this.
  25. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Now on the turntable: A 1979 RCA record which is a compilation of two earlier Artur Rubinstein recordings.
    The Franck and the Bach-Busoni works were recorded June 1970 in RCA's Rome studio.
    The Mozart Rondo was recorded in December 1959 at the New York Academy of Fine Arts and Letters.

[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.