Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This morning's CD.

BEETHOVEN: Diabelli Variations - Daniel Barenboim (MCA Classics CD)

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Interesting, I didn't know he recorded for MCA. He's recorded for a LOT of major labels! EMI, DG, MCA, Warner. . .

3. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

This was first released on Westminister which became part of the ABC family.

McLover and George P like this.
  4. George P

I see, thanks. Barenboim's DG set was my first set of the 32 Beethoven sonatas. Beautiful, romantic playing.

I also love the youtube of him and Lang Lang in a masterclass on Beethoven.

mBen989 likes this.
  5. drh

drh Talking Machine

A fair amount of interesting material from the old Westminster and Command labels came out on those Double Decker issues back when CDs were still a relatively new format. They sold for about $10 per two-disc set, as I recall it, at a time when a single full-priced CD was around $18 or so; as a bonus, the discs came packed in a neat little flip storage file. Among the better entries in the series were selected Beethoven symphonies led by Hermann Scherchen and a very nice complete Nutcracker led by Artur Rodzinski, coupled with excerpts from Swan Lake led by Maurice Abravanel. Another interesting (and enjoyable) entry was the Brahms first serenade, in a performance by "The Symphony of the Air" (ex-NBC Symphony Or.) led by Leopold Stokowski. Curiously, the second disc of that set, William Levi Dawson's Negro Folk Symphony (Stokowski again, this time with the All-American SO), claimed on the cover to include pianist Guiomar Novaes among the performers. No piano is in evidence, however. Later, I learned that something performed by Novaes had been the original LP coupling; evidently MCA just carried her name over from the LP album credits to the CD, which did not include her part of the original record!

Alas, such sloppy production values were not limited to documentation; the remastering tended to be pretty bright, as if the discs were produced from tapes balanced for LPs. Still, it was a valuable contribution and made available some classic recordings well meriting another whirl in the active catalogue.

mBen989, dale 88 and George P like this.
  6. Ian Roberts

Ian Roberts Fortune’s always hiding ⚒

Today’s arrival. Looking forward to exploring these. Many thanks to Ake Bergvall for the recommendation
    [​IMG]

7. Victor Martell

Victor Martell Forum Resident

Agreed - I do love vinyl - but as I have posted elsewhere (and could be cause I came of age as a classical fan smack-dab in the CD era) still struggle to have a satisfying classical vinyl experience... still go for digital when it comes to classical - and this one is just perfect. Also available as a high-res download.
    v

8. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I've not heard Barenboim's DG set, but I have his older (analog) cycle-- recorded in Abbey Road Studio 1, London, by EMI 1966-69. The hefty 14-LP cloth-bound box set was issued here in the US on the Angel label. As you can see from my photo, it coincided with the 197o Beethoven Bicentennial.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Obviously, I don't know how his '60s readings compare with what he did later for DG, but the performances here are compelling for his fresh approach. His tempos often vary--sometimes widely--from conventional, but he performs in such a sensitive manner that he never comes across as mechanical or detached. For that (for me), this set makes a worthy addition to the several others I have.

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

There are at least three complete Barenboim Beethoven Piano Sonata sets; the first one was recorded in 1966-1969 and released by EMI, the second was recorded in 1981-1984 and released by DG and the third was recorded live in 2005 and released by Decca on CD.

crispi and Wes H like this.
  10. George P

The DG set is very romantic, lots of rubato , very individual playing. It was let go during my last cull.

I think he shines the brightest in Beethoven with the concertos, especially with Klemperer on EMI. I also think his Brahms concertos with Barbirolli for Brahms are particularly impressive.

Wes H likes this.
  11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

I like Barenboim's conducting of the Beethoven concertos with Rubinstein at the piano. I'll have to give his collaboration with Klemperer another listen.

George P likes this.
  12. George P

And I'll need to check out Rubinstein/Barenboim's LvB.

Now enjoying more of this set:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and Wes H like this.
  13. George P

I forgot to mention earlier that I very much enjoy Barnboim's LvB symphony set for Warner. Great sound on that too!

Now enjoying, from the big pink Rubinstein box:

[​IMG]

Daedalus, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  14. George P

Just was made aware of a great website devoted to Annie Fischer and wanted to share it here:

https://yuanhuang.wixsite.com/annie-fischer/

wolfram likes this.
  15. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

So you do have the Rubinstein/Barenboim ctos. Great! Let me know what you think of them.

I've not heard Barenboim's LvB cycle on Warner. Something else to check out!

I do have this Warner box set of his Bruckner cycle leading the Berlin Philharmonic. Very impressive. In fact, it's probably the one cycle I reach for the most when I want to hear Bruckner.
    Most were recorded live (as you can see on the box).

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Eigenvector and George P like this.
  16. George P

Listening to the first PC now, I hear a lot of beauty, both in the sound and in the playing. Of course, with Rubinstein being 89 at the time(!), it's not the most fiery Beethoven, but I'm glad I pulled it out. I have so many recordings of the 5 PC; Serkin, Barenboim, 3 from Rubinstein, 2 from Arrau, Kovacevich, Russel Sherman, Solomon and Kempff (mono.)

I bet it's good! I got very lucky with Bruckner, only buying one (incomplete) set of the symphonies early on that I love so much that I have not ventured further:

[​IMG]

Wes H likes this.
  17. NielsSS

NielsSS Forum Resident

I have an original DG Fournier on vinyl inherited from my step grand father . It still sounds great and I find Fournier's interpretation better than Janos Starker's.

crispi and bruce2 like this.
  18. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Gorecki: String Quartet No. 3, Op. 67 /'Piesni Spiewaja' ('...songs are sung') 1995/2005
    Sonata for Two Violins, Op. 10 (1957)
    Tippet Quartet
    Naxos, 2020
    [​IMG]

Geee!, Daedalus, Wes H and 1 other person like this.
  19. drh

drh Talking Machine

Today I was in the mood for something that would warm the heart, not cause it to burn; Mozart seemed tailor made to fill the bill. So, the day's playlist, all WAM, as I worked on a bunch of tedious paperwork:

Symphony no. 29--Serge Koussevitzky and the Boston SO (12-22-1937)
    Piano Cto. no. 23--Fazil Say with Howard Griffiths and Zurich Chamber Or.
    Ballet Music, "Le Petits Riens," Neville Marriner and Academy of St. Martin in the Fields
    Two-Piano Sonata in D, K. 448--Christoph Eschenbach and Justus Frantz
    Sonata for Piano, Four Hands in F, K. 497--Jesus Maria Sanroma and Mercedes Pasarell Sanroma (ca. 1941)
    Bassoon Concerto--Leonard Sharrow with Arturo Toscanini and the NBC Sym. Or. (11-18-1947)

20. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Prelude and Fugue 1-12 - Glenn Gould (from The Glen Gould Collection Vol. 4)

[​IMG]

Geee!, Ian Roberts, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

BACH: The Well-Tempered Clavier, Book 1, Prelude and Fugue 13-24 - Glenn Gould (from The Glen Gould Collection Vol. 4)

[​IMG]

Geee!, Ian Roberts, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  22. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Enjoying music of Brahms in the CD player this afternoon. Performed by the very fine German group, Trio Parnassus.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Marzz, Daedalus, Ian Roberts and 3 others like this.
  23. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Excellent choices!

;)

Ian Roberts, George P and mBen989 like this.
  24. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Looks like you had a fine Mozart-fest while you were burning the past-midnight oil up there, David.
    Hope you got all that work behind you.

Ian Roberts and WaterLemon like this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Listening to this gorgeous set. Starting with the Gymnopedies.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Geee!, Marzz, Daedalus and 4 others like this.