Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I don't have that one, but I have a number of sets from that series. That series and the Original Masters series for Decca are two of my favorites.

This is a vocal one I have from the series yours is from:

[​IMG]

Eigenvector and TonyACT like this.
  2. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

What a great box set from this amazing tenor.

TonyACT likes this.
  3. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of box sets, right now I am working my way through three box sets, the Celibidache Bruckner set on EMI, the Festetics Haydn Quartet set and the above Arrau Mozart set. Maybe not the best match for Mozart overall, but Arrau's makes for nice evening listening, after a stressful day.

dale 88, Eigenvector and TonyACT like this.
  4. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Finally arrived from the UK:

[​IMG]

:)

5. drh

drh Talking Machine

So I guess now you will embark on a vigorous course of Callas-thenics?

George P and TonyACT like this.
  6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

If I can summon the energy to prise the box from the 3,000 CD backlog ;)

drh likes this.
  7. Rose River Bear

Wow. I may have to dig into my music allowance to make room for that set.

TonyACT likes this.
  8. Rose River Bear

Spinning-
    An interesting way to listen to these works. Harmonies and other things pop out that I usually don't hear on the orchestral "versions".
    [​IMG]

layman, Eigenvector, George P and 2 others like this.
  9. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

It's available at some really low prices from a range of vendors just now. I paid around US $55 delivered from Amazon UK. I don't think it's a limited edition - but better safe than sorry :)

10. George P

I take back what I said earlier about Arrau not being the best match for Mozart. At the very least, in the slow movements he is absolutely sublime:

WaterLemon, dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  11. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

If you haven't heard this set from Sandor Vegh and the Camerata Salzburg, I can recommend it. It is a selection of the Serenades etc. One reviewer used the words "pure joy".
    Sandor Vegh, conductor
    Camerata Salzburg
    Mozart: Serenaden & Divertimenti
    Capriccio, 2010
    10 CDs
    recorded 1986-1990
    [​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  12. George P

[​IMG]
    The Complete Josef Lhevinne (WILL SHIP WHEN AVAILABLE IN EARLY DECEMBER)
    3CD Set

Josef Lhevinne studied at the Moscow Conservatory under Vasily Safonov, made his public debut at fourteen in a performance conducted by Anton Rubinstein, and graduated top of a class that included both Sergei Rachmaninoff and Alexander Scriabin. Lhevinne is often included as one of the greatest golden-era pianists, and yet, his recorded legacy is approximately fifty minutes of repertoire for Pathé and Victor, albeit treasured and admired. And not unlike a star whose light went out too soon, the public created a mythos based on a small output and clamors for more examples of his playing to further justify his reputation. The wait is now over.

In addition to the Pathé and Victor recordings, this release includes a 1943 New York broadcast of Brahms's Op. 25 Piano Quartet with Lhevinne and the Perolé String Quartet, which is the cornerstone of this release. Also included will be several studio broadcasts from the 1930s. Among these broadcasts will be the second and third movements of Tchaikovsky’s Piano Concerto No. 1 from an NBC studio broadcast of 1933, which has been in the hands of collectors for many years. However, we now have a nearly complete performance of this work: Josef Lhevinne featured in this concerto during a Worcester Festival concert in 1936. It should be noted that for unknown reasons the first four minutes of the concerto were not recorded and despite recording flaws, this recording does give us a sense of Lhevinne's unique brilliance. This set will be a must for anyone collecting recordings of pianists of the golden age.

More info at - Marston Records | Home

Bubbamike, dale 88 and TonyACT like this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying more of this great set. The depth and beauty Arrau finds in the slow movements is breathtaking. The sound is gorgeous too!

TonyACT likes this.
  14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the double concerto from this CD.

crispi, TonyACT and Eigenvector like this.
  15. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

George, since you're a fan of old un-remastered discs: seek out the earlier 1990 Dokumente CD version of this, as it contains in my opinion a better mastering of the Brahms Double Concerto.

[​IMG]

George P and TonyACT like this.
  16. George P

Thanks, what is your favorite mastering of the Brahms Piano Concertos by Barenboim/Barbirolli? I believe there has been three masterings, 1990, 1998 and the new Warner Complete box set.

17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Listened to Glazunov 5 Novelettes for string Quartet and String Quintet. op. 39 with the Fine Arts String Quartet.
    My issue is on the Russian Chamber Music Brilliant Box. It is sourced from Naxos, 2007.
    The string sound is not realistic. I strongly suspect that too much artificial reverb was used. I had noticed the same type of sound on another Fine Arts disc. It makes the sound seem bigger and the number of players larger but the string sound has excessive vibrato.

Similar sound was achieved (?) on a 1986 disc from Christoper Warren-Green and the Philharmonia on Chandos recording Dvorak's Serenade. This one sounds terrible.
    [​IMG]

A few L-Oiseau Lyre (Decca) issues with the Academy of Ancient Music suffered from this abuse.

George P likes this.
  18. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

I am not familiar with those recordings.

19. drh

drh Talking Machine

They arrived a few days ago, and tonight I decided to give one of the syms. a whirl. Just one. Just to get my feet wet.

I chose no. 31, "Paris."

That done, I chose no. 32.

That done, I chose no. 36, "Linz."

I could have gone on, but I must get up in the morning. :sigh:

How right you are! These discs pull of that rarest of feats: top notch performances and sound. I can't remember hearing a more successfully recorded orchestra, with the instruments forming a well-integrated whole yet retaining their individuality as well. As to the performances, crisp and fleet, but by no means rushed, with a good sense of weight and strength (no Dresden china here!) but still Mozartean, not veering too far into Beethoven territory. Twenty bucks well spent--and I still have no. 29 and the "Haffner" from that set and all of the set with nos. 38-41 to go.

[edit] Incidentally, not intending it to evolve into a MozartFest, I started my listening session with something rather different, a sextet for piano and strings by Mikhail Glinka. In its own way quite lovely, too; I found it reminiscent of Mendelssohn, but still with its own flavor. Nothing profound, but it made for an enjoyable and engaging 25 minutes' cultured respite from all the storm and stress that have been abroad for the past week. Ensemble Classique Koln on Schwann Musica Mundi 310 034.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2020
    TonyACT, Wes H and George P like this.
  20. Phil12

Phil12 Radiant Radish

Heard this on classical radio. I was blown away by it. Looked it up on youtube:

The Song of the Sibyl (Catalan El Cant de la Sibil·la) is a liturgical drama and a Gregorian chant, the lyrics of which compose a prophecy describing the Apocalypse, which has been performed at some churches of Mallorca (Balearic Islands, Spain) and L'Alguer or Alghero (Sardinia, Italy) in Catalan language on Christmas Eve nearly uninterruptedly since medieval times. It was declared a Masterpiece of the Oral and Intangible Heritage of Humanity by UNESCO on November 16th, 2010.

Wes H likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Currently listening to...

BERLIOZ: Symphonie Fantastique - Concertgebouw Orchestra conducted by Sir Colin Davis (West German Philips CD)

[​IMG]

One of three classical CDs I found at The Salvation Army today.

22. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

HANDEL: Messiah - English Baroque Soloists conducted by John Eliot Gardiner (Philips CD "MADE IN U.S.A BY PDO", three CD set)

[​IMG]

23. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Op. 17 from the above set.

Crimson Witch, Wes H and Eigenvector like this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

For years I heard of how great the pianist Vladimir Sofronitsky was, I even read that Richter had called the man "a god." I bought the Brilliant Classics box and a number of other releases of his and although I enjoyed them, I never really "got" why people were so amazed by him. Then I heard his Chopin Scherzo 1 from the above recording. Wow! Even with the dreaded no-noise sonic solutions used in the mastering, the pianist's incredible power, beauty, imaginative phrasing and constant excitement blew me away. For those who haven't heard him before, I offer this:

Wes H likes this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the above 2CD set, which contains works by Chopin and Scriabin.