Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

A shame about the Tchaikovsky, especially considering we have so many recordings of 1 and so few of 2. I haven't heard 2 myself in quite awhile, so I plan to check out a few recordings of it soon, Cherkassky and Gekic.

dale 88 likes this.
  2. George P

[​IMG]

It's not often I get to listen to classical music in the morning, but had a chance today and really enjoyed this one.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

What didn't you like--performance, or music? See below.

This recording claims to be the "original version," which I take it means it isn't the truncated edition usually heard. Tchaikowsky wrote the piece with a novel compositional choice in the second mvt., but not much use for showing off the soloist. Pianist Alexander Siloti, who had studied harmony under Tchaikowsky, prepared an edition that excises that feature, and that's the one that nearly everyone plays; in the words of Wikipedia:

"The second movement contains prominent solos for the violin and cello, making the work in effect a concerto for piano trio and orchestra briefly, though a once-popular edition by Alexander Siloti removed large sections of the work, including those solos. Siloti initially proposed a number of changes to the score, but Tchaikovsky resisted these ideas. As time progressed, however, he did agree to certain changes. However, the version that Siloti published in 1897, four years after Tchaikovsky's death, included cuts and transpositions with which Tchaikovsky had strongly disagreed. Nevertheless, the Siloti version became the standard version for many years."

I'm sure Cherkassky will have played the Siloti edition in all his recordings (I have at least three, going back into the 78 era, and for all I know he did the piece a time or two more); dunno about Gekic.

dale 88 likes this.
  4. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

It was the performance not the music. I am going to listen again a few times this week. There have been times that a performance has grown on me. This performance of the original clocks in at 42:03.

The notes writer, David Nice, says: "The pianist who prompted the long-lasting mutilation of the Second Concerto was not Nikolay Rubinstein, who had poured critical scorn on its much more famous predecessor, but Sergey Taneyev, who gave the Moscow premiere in 1882. Like many impatient soloists, he seems to have especially disliked too much spotlight on other individual instruments, which is why the second movement--not so much a triple concerto as a duet, for violin and cello alternating with piano--has been a special casualty. On this recording we hear the work absolutely complete." And again, "the main idea sees a meeting of all three soloists in what is more a chamber trio, with the most minimal of pizzacato accompaniments, than a Triple Concerto, and they are followed by a leisurely, atmospheric coda."

5. dale 88

I will be doing the same here.:agree: On order is the the complete concertos and symphonies from Kirill Gerstein and Semyon Bychkov. (from 2019 on Decca)

George P likes this.
  6. JuniorMaineGuide

JuniorMaineGuide Forum Resident

Brahms' Violin Concerto got similar pushback from violinists when it was first written because of the substantial oboe part in the adagio.

dale 88 likes this.
  7. George P

Last edited: Jun 15, 2021
    dale 88 likes this.
  8. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Marin Marais Viol Music for the Sun King (1995, Naxos) YouTube playlist
    Le Spectre de la Rose
    Marie Knight - Baroque Violin
    Alison Crum - Treble and Bass Viols
    Susanna Pell - Treble and Bass Viols
    Elizabeth Liddle - Bass Viol
    Paula Chateauneuf - Theorbo and Baroque Guitar
    Timothy Roberts - Harpsichord

George P likes this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Listened to his Tchaikovsky PC 2 (original version) and thought he played superbly. Lots of power and beauty in his playing, as usual. The sound was quite good too.

dale 88 and NickySee like this.
  10. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Hard to find (streaming). And the prices for copies online :yikes:. I'll have to take your word on this one. :)

George P likes this.
  11. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Francesco Onorio Manfredini
    Concerti Grosi Op. 3 Italian Baroque CD 24
    Ludger Rémy, harpsichordist/pianist, conductor
    Orchestra Les Amis de Philippe

Francesco Onofrio Manfredini (22 June 1684 – 6 October 1762), composer, violinist and church musician,
    was born at Pistoia to a trombonist. He studied violin with Giuseppe Torelli in Bologna, then a part of the Papal States, a leading figure in the development of the concerto grosso. He also took instruction in composition from Giacomo Antonio Perti, maestro di capella of the Basilica of San Petronio from 1696 when the orchestra was temporarily disbanded.

Although he composed oratorios, only his secular works remain in the repertoire. A contemporary of Johann Sebastian Bach and Antonio Vivaldi; his extant work shows the [rather obvious] influence of the latter. -
    lastfm.com

Bevok likes this.
  12. dale 88

Andre Previn
    London Symphony Orchestra
    Tchaikovsky: Manfred Symphony
    Warner box 2021
    cd 26 recorded in 1973

I enjoyed this interpretation. One can hear into the composition because of the engineering and the remastering in 2019 by Warner Japan.

[​IMG]

ToniFromMars and NickySee like this.
  13. dale 88

Talich Quartet
    Borodin: String Quartet No. 2
    Tchaikovsky: String Quartet No. 1
    La Dolce Vita, 1986

[​IMG]
    Very enjoyable.

NickySee and George P like this.
  14. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Stravinsky The Rite of Spring (1960, His Masters Voice)
    Philharmonia Orchestra
    Igor Markevitch

15. dale 88

I do enjoy many of Igor Markevitch's recordings.

NickySee likes this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, I finished copying the Time Life Mozart late concerti set, and I've moved on to the companion late string quartets box. That's actually a category that is underrepresented both on my server and in my listening, and much of what I've heard has been from quartets active on 78s, not from the stereo era. Anybody have any thoughts about how the Alban Berg Quartet (T-L licensed from London) and the Musikverein Quartet (T-L licensed from Telefunken) stack up in the universe of options?

George P likes this.
  17. George P

Hey David, happy weekend! :wave:

I bought this set a few years back, based on very high recommendations from people I trust, but I can't say I liked it one bit:

[​IMG]

I then sampled the Italiano and Talich sets extensively. I liked both, but found the Talich a bit more to my liking. Sorry I can't say more specific things about the reasons for my choices. I think the Berg was too cold, too modern, the Italiano more old school, warmer, but the Talich has that light, classical touch that is perfect for this music.

The Talich set is still available: https://www.amazon.com/Mozart-Compl...s=Talich+mozart&qid=1624118853&s=music&sr=1-1 Their Quintet seems to be OOP, but well worth looking out for.

drh likes this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

Hi, George,

Thanks for the lowdown! I got it backwards, of course--Berg Qtt licensed from Telefunken, Musikverein from London. I've played a couple of quartets by the former and one by the latter at this point, and I'll add to what you wrote that the acoustic for the Musikvereins is quite "live"; not, on the evidence of that one side, a good choice for those who like their chamber music recordings to have an "intimate" sound.

I'm getting the impression these Time Life sets offer eminently respectable, even highly recommended, recordings, ones with which the listener can't really go wrong, that nonetheless aren't quite first choice selections--at least for my taste. In the concerto box, for instance, we had the likes of Clifford Curzon and Alicia de Larrocha, certainly subject to no cavil--except that I found the overall "feel" to be more "Dresden china" than I prefer. Katchen's account of no. 20 particularly struck me that way; that's a big, dramatic piece, and I didn't get the vibe from him, at least on one hearing. I suppose I should give him another go and also go back to my mono Rudolf Serkin recordings in connection with the exercise.

[edit] That "cold, modern" thing--gotcha. I have the same feeling about the Kontarsky brothers in Schubert.

George P likes this.
  19. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

This seems to have just gotten a repress on vinyl, finally was able to score a double LP for $25. One of my hands-down favorite releases of this century.

vinylshadow likes this.
  20. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Great

I only see a 2014 European release on Deutsche Grammophone.

Were you referring to that? I don't see a newer reissue on Discogs.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2021
  21. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

I’m assuming? It’s funny, I had asked my buddy at the local record shop several months ago if he could find me a copy. To my suspense, he called me the other day and said he got me a sealed copy. Then I saw it’s back in stock Amazon for the same price.

vinylshadow likes this.
  22. vinylshadow

vinylshadow Forum Resident

Oh ok.

There are copies on Discogs and Amazon of the 2014 D.G. repress. I'll check AMZ too.

I'll look into snagging 1 of them. Thanks.

23. Trag

Trag Forum Resident

*to my surprise. The transaction was in no way suspenseful.

24. Robert Godridge

Robert Godridge Forum Resident

George P likes this.
  25. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have yet to really "connect" with #2. I need to listen to it again myself and re figure why it does not bowl me over.