Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Sorry, I don't know him at all.

For whatever reason, the variation form is not one that usually connects with me. I have always loved Rachmaninoff's Paganini Rhapsody and to a lesser extent the Schuman Symphonic Etudes, but beyond that, stuff like the Eroica, Diabelli, Handel variations, etc, are just OK at best, IMO.

TonyACT likes this.
  2. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

What are peoples opinions on the best sounding remaster/version of the Cortot, Thibaud, Casals Trio - Schubert Trio no.1 (1926)?
    I have the EMI References 1988 cd. I’ve tried comparing using Apple Music and there are quite a bit of differences between releases all with pros and cons (some just cons ie. no noised to death). The version on the 2008 Alfred Cortot ‘The Master Pianist’ boxset on EMI/WB is interesting. The instruments themselves sound the clearest and most realistic but with a heavy hissing sound in the background. Anyway any thoughts?

3. George P

Other than their big boxes, like the Anniversary box for Cortot, I am not fond of EMI's mastering. For the trio you mention, if you don't have the EMI Anniversary box for Cortot, I suggest this single CD, mastered by Ward Marston:

[​IMG]

Haydn, Beethoven, Schubert, Jacques Thibaud, Pablo Casals, Alfred Cortot – Trio In G Major / Variations On Ich Bin Der Schneider Kakadu / Trio No. 1 In B Flat Major (CD)

https://www.amazon.com/Thibaud-Perform-Beethoven-Schubert-2002-07-01/dp/B01K8NQFXE

4. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Thanks for the recommendation. I have got this one in my comparison playlist I’ve created. Its not bad but just found it a bit brittle sounding and thin tbh. A little fatiguing to listen too perhaps. Maybe I’ll give it another listen.

TonyACT likes this.
  5. George P

You're welcome.

Keep in mind that this is a 1926 recording, so only so much can be done with it and Ward Marston is one of the very best, if not the best, at transferring old recordings like this.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
  6. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Yeah obviously have to be realistic of course.
    This set here is the one that I found sounded most impressive so far for this work:

https://www.amazon.com/Icon-Alfred-...9d602&pd_rd_wg=gJGfm&pd_rd_i=B001B1R1FO&psc=1

7. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

There are a few EMI mastering of this though and they sound very different from each other. Are you able to hear the set I linked to?

8. George P

As I said, I am not a fan of EMI's in house mastering. I prefer a much more open sound. I wish you the best of luck in your search.

9. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

But that’s exactly what I like about the Schubert Trio tracks on this set. Really clear open sound, unlike the earlier EMI muffled sound release. Oh well…if you won’t listen to it you won’t know what I mean. Maybe it’s not even mastered by the usual EMI in-house team.

10. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

I’ve bought the Ward Marston Naxos disc as it’s ok and affordable and worth having for an alternative to my 80’s emi references cd. Is there anywhere I can listen online to the Alfred Cortot Anniversary Edition big set? It’s pretty much the only one left to compare really but it’s huge and going for big money.

TonyACT likes this.
  11. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Interesting review here of that EMI Icon Cortot set from 2006 that I thought sounded pretty good compared to other EMI work:
    Alfred Cortot EMI 2173042 [JW]: Classical CD Reviews - March 2009 MusicWeb-International

Seems like the transfers for this set come from quite a few different places. Might explain what I’m hearing. Think the Trios are from an earlier Toshiba EMI Japan release.

Quotes:

“the net has been spread widely. I certainly found the 2006 restorations rather more to my liking than some of EMI’s recent GROC work”

“A few specific words about transfers, then. Regarding the Kreutzer sonata I prefer the work here to the old Biddulph [LAB028] by Mark Obert-Thorn; there’s greater tonal depth in EMI’s work. The trios are all on Naxos of course – the Schumann and Mendelssohn on 8.110185, the Haydn and Schubert on 8.110188. EMI’s work is generally more open, and preserves greater treble, though the Naxos is warmer and has a touch more tonal bloom. To take another example the 1933 Impromptus are on Naxos 8.111023 in a 2005 transfer. The 2006 EMI transfer has a touch more clarity and presence and I happen to prefer it. I think the 1949 Berceuse is totally clear-cut. The Naxos is muffled against the clarity of the EMI.”

Last edited: Aug 21, 2021
    TonyACT likes this.
  12. drh

drh Talking Machine

Played a bit of an oddity to close out tonight: a sonata for alto saxophone and piano by one Edvard Moritz, performed by (and written for) Cecil Leeson with Josef Wagner on piano. It's an American Decca set recorded in 1940, spreading the music over three records (six sides) as follows: 1st mvt. (allegro molto), ss. 1-2; 2d mvt. (molto andante), ss. 3-4; 3d mvt. (scherzo) and beginning of 4th mvt. (finale), s. 5; fourth mvt. concluded, s. 6. I've owned this set since 1995, but if I've ever played it before I surely don't remember it.

The music is nothing profound--which is good; I dislike pieces that try so hard to be "profound" that they aren't listenable--but it is tuneful and beautiful in a pastoral sort of way, overwhelmingly lyrical except for the brief, somewhat livelier scherzo, which I'd characterize as more quirky and playful than brilliant or showy. It's definitely music that was intended for a formal setting, with none of the probably expected jazzy dance band references to be heard anywhere. To be honest, it put me in mind of the sound to be heard in most of the Rudy Wiedoeft records I've played: suave, smooth, accomplished but not in any way brash.

Mind you, I'll need to listen again to digest it; I had a long break between sides 1 and 2 (1st mvt., parts 1 and 2) because about 2 minutes in my cat decided he wanted some lap time, meaning I spent about 40 minutes listening to the leadout lock groove at the end of the first side....

[edit] This was my second foray into unfamiliar 20th century literature in as many evenings; the night before, I played a recent acquisition, Dag Wiren conducting his own Sinfonietta recorded by a Scandinavian label previously unknown to me, Cupol, on two 78 RPM records (4 sides).

Last edited: Aug 22, 2021
    TonyACT and George P like this.
  13. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

As the owner of the 2012 40 CD EMI Cortot Anniversary Edition, I can add that according to the booklet all of it was remastered in 2012 by Studio Art et Son, and I also recall that when I listened to the trio recordings back when I was impressed by the sound of such old recordings. However, I have no other versions to compare with. The box is most likely oop, but in line with recent Warner piano boxes I would not be surprised if they reissued it at some point, and why not in 2022 when another 10 years have been added to Cortot's Anniversary.

14. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

One of my friends on Facebook posted about this a few minutes ago, and I thought that I would share it here as well.

Bevok likes this.
  15. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

Yeah that boxset clearly states the Studio Art et Son remastering on the back images I’ve seen. Be nice if it gets issued again some day. How much did it initially retail for btw?

16. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

I paid €43 (plus €8 in postage to Sweden) when I bought it from Amazon.de back in 2012. The lowest price according to Keepa was €41.

Paul Dray likes this.
  17. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

As suggested in another publication recently, Ansermet's El Amor Brujo by Falla is a first class interpretation.

Ernest Ansermet
    L'Orchestre de la Suisse Romande
    Falla
    El Amor Brujo
    Decca, 1955

[​IMG]

18. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Just ordered this one, my first of these Lugano CDs. Would be interested in thoughts on them generally:

[​IMG]

Wes H, Matt Richardson and George P like this.
  19. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of Warner Classics boxes, now enjoying the Preludes from this set.

20. Paul Dray

Paul Dray Forum Resident

I have this set too. Love it. Also have as my modern recording alternative the Dubussy set by Larissa Dedova.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Up now on the Bose Wave.

Dvořák: Slavonic Dances/String Serenade - Peter Wohlert conducting the Berlin Chamber Orchestra (US LaserLight CD)

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  22. drh

drh Talking Machine

For no compelling reason beyond just that I haven't played it in a while, I just returned to a long-time favorite: Franck's Piano Trio no. 1, performed by the Munich Trio on the late, lamented (at least by me) Calig label:

[​IMG]

Not necessarily the most imaginative or attractive album cover I've seen, but these folks play their hearts out and really sell the piece. Franck was the grandpa of "cyclical" music, and this work is cyclical in excelcis, with a second theme just this side of heaven. Schubert, that master of melody, couldn't have written one more beautiful. Some fun twist and turns, too, and at times the sound world puts me in mind of thick, heavy, sweet syrup. I mean that in a good way; the textures are consistently rich, but the instruments each have their own character without any one dominating. Very, very capital-R-Romantic stuff. I can't for the life of me figure out why it isn't played more often.

Like every Calig recording I've heard (not that many, alas), this one is top notch from a technical standpoint. Nice ambiance, good detail, but no hint of edginess. Just a class job all the way 'round.

I should note that the coupled Lalo has never done all that much for me. No matter; the Franck is enough to make me happy I met up with this disc 'way back when.

George P, Paul Dray and TonyACT like this.
  23. Mr Muse

Mr Muse Active Member

Can anyone recommend a particular vinyl recording of of the "Heroic Polonaise" in A-flat major, Op. 53. I'm fond of Horowitz's version on his last Moscow video - despite' its reported lack of precision, to me it feels authentic and joyous. I have the LP Horowitz in Moscow however this piece is not included. Looking for some listening options on vinyl of members personal favourite renditions of this uplifting piece. Cheers

24. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I like Pollini on DG but only have it on CD, so can't comment on how the LP sounds sorry.

Mr Muse and George P like this.
  25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Well, it's happened again. As I left for work today, the radio was playing Beethoven's 5th; I came in a few minutes into the piece. As it progressed, I got to thinking more and more, "My word, this is a low-voltage run-through. Ho, as the saying goes, hum!" By the end, I was musing, "I guess it's OK in a routine sort of way, but who wants to hear a 'routine' Beethoven's Fifth? Who could be responsible for this, anyhow?" The performance came to an end. The announcer came on.

Karajan.

:yawn:

Bevok likes this.