Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Brilliant. Great playing and sound. Trifonov's recording, which contains a completion of the last fugue by Trifonov, should make for an interesting comparison when it comes out next month.

[​IMG]

Bevok, WaterLemon and TonyACT like this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I have this LP box set on order( random web photo-my order has clean, intact box):[​IMG]

layman, 5-String, Bevok and 2 others like this.
  3. Daedalus

This morning on the TT( conducted by one of my favorite conductors):

[​IMG]

5-String and TonyACT like this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

One of the biggest pitfalls of classical music listening isn't the time that is required in order to get something out of it, but the notion that somehow you'll be able to hear it all or, at least, hear everything you've been meaning to get around to and just haven't yet. I find that this is a dangerous place to be mentally, because a part of enjoying music is being able to listen to it in the moment and not worry about what's coming next. One thing you could do for yourself is create programs with different works from different composers selected and listen to it like you're going to go to a real life concert. Another thing you could do is center a program around a certain theme and the works themselves don't have to be all written in the same style, but rather all deal with a similar idea like say the sea for example. Create an hour long program centered around the sea. There's thousands of ideas you can have or you can simply fly by the seat of your pants and listen to whatever you want in no kind of order whatsoever. The main point is that you get some kind of fulfillment from the music.

Maltman, Daedalus, 5-String and 2 others like this.
  5. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

I think I have to cancel my subscription to the BBC Music magazine:D. It always makes me want to listen to the latest recommendations. Seriously, I think I should accept what I like, which is mostly solo instrument and chamber music. Trouble is I also like jazz then throw in the Band, Little Feat, John Martyn et al and there's just not enough time in the day.
    I don't sleep well and when I'm awake in the night I put the headphones on and listen to BBC R3 which makes me realise I'm never going to be able to listen to everything I'd like to. Nor am I going to be able to read every book, watch every film, see every piece of art. It's a matter of acceptance and, as you say, enjoying the moment.

Mirror Image, Bevok and TonyACT like this.
  6. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

And enjoying the journey!

And at least you can't get bored with that lot ;)

7. Mild Mavis

:righton:

TonyACT likes this.
  8. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Daedalus, Wes H and TonyACT like this.
  9. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this neglected disc. I love these works so I have many different recordings of them.

Martinu, Daedalus, Wes H and 3 others like this.
  10. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I played this LP of Weissenberg a few days ago and since then I cannot stop listening to him.

[​IMG]

Martinu, Daedalus, Wes H and 2 others like this.
  11. George P

Do you have his Chopin Nocturnes? They are quite unique.

Martinu and 5-String like this.
  12. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

No, this is the only music that I have by Weissenberg.
    Thanks for the recommendation George, I will look for it.

George P and TonyACT like this.
  13. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I have his Beethoven concertos with Karajan on EMI recorded in the mid 70s (recent CD reissue), but haven’t listened to them as yet.

5-String likes this.
  14. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Spinning this fine set of Nielsen symphonies. Great sound as well.
    [​IMG]

15. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

WaterLemon, George P and TonyACT like this.
  16. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

The main problem with classical is you have to put in the time to really explore it. It's so vast. Jazz isn't that vast. It's only been around for a century or so and even less time for rock, country and other styles within popular music. I've excepted that I'm not going to be listening to jazz or rock as much as I did say 15 years ago, because classical is my main musical interest now and what I'm most passionate about. I do have occasions where I'll take breaks from classical to listen to some jazz or rock, but I don't stay away for too long. I think the longest break I took was around 5-6 months several years ago.

Daedalus and Mild Mavis like this.
  17. drh

drh Talking Machine

McLover and George P like this.
  18. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I picked up this box set sometime ago and I'm revisiting. The sound quality is really good. I have found some of the DG boxes (I've only got 5:D) leave something to be desired. It's the late Mozart symphonies (I believe) so what's not to like. I don't know whether they would pass the critics but I like them.
    The first time I ever posted a picture:pineapple:. There'll be no stopping me now:D

19. Daedalus

Good post! I certainly find myself guilty of compulsivity when it comes to listening-especially in this era of completist box sets. It becomes the equivalent of reading everything that a particular author wrote or worrying that you may not finish Proust’s entire magnum opus. I personally juggle my completist tendencies against a random selection of music based on following my nose along my collection shelves until serendipity strikes.

20. Daedalus

I do this as well. I explore certain jazz artists and a couple of favorite rock artists which I love but I mainly explore classical. And it is a big world.

Mirror Image and TonyACT like this.
  21. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Nice first picture! I like Bohm's Mozart, he has some excellent versions of some of the operas.

I was listening to some of his Wagner earlier, also excellent.

Mild Mavis and Daedalus like this.
  22. George P

Thanks for this. I have written some reviews of various recordings of the third and fourth piano concerto and have started threads for each:

The Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 3 Review Project

The Rachmaninov Piano Concerto 4 Review Project

23. George P

If you want to sample his playing, this superb 2CD set can be had for under $10 used:

[​IMG]

https://www.amazon.com/Great-Pianis...ssenberg+great+pianists&qid=1633095078&sr=8-1

Alexis Weissenberg, Johann Sebastian Bach, Frédéric Chopin, Claude Debussy, Sergei Prokofiev, Igor Stravinsky - Great Pianists: Alexis Weissenberg (CD, UK, 1999) For Sale | Discogs

It has the best recording of the first Rachmaninoff piano sonata that I have ever heard, along with a wide assortment of composers, from Bach to Stravinsky. There's also a few of his Chopin Nocturnes on there, so you can sample before buying the whole (OOP) set.

24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the Preludes from the above set. Compared to Weissenberg, Rodriguez's playing has a lot more beauty. His tone, while not soft, is much softer than Weissenberg's and this results in a more intimate, flowing effect in the slower works. However, he can bring the fireworks in the faster, louder works. The sound is superb too. Recommended!

Last edited: Oct 1, 2021
    Daedalus, Wes H, Mild Mavis and 2 others like this.
  25. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Thanks for the recommendation George.:wave:
    I just ordered the copy from Amazon and looking forward to it!

TonyACT and George P like this.