Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I have some of the other Podger/Vivaldi recordings on Channel Classics and they are wonderful.

Daedalus and Mild Mavis like this.
  2. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

3. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I’ve also double-checked the Sony album number, and you and I have the same release. I suggest you check your source.

Blizzard likes this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this set of Nocturnes, which was uniquely sequenced and played a slower tempo than I think I have heard before. For some nocturnes, it works well, for others he loses the line. Sound is lovely.

Uncle Meat, TonyACT, Daedalus and 2 others like this.
  5. Zhan

Zhan swimming with the maenads

I'm a fan of strange modern classical music, especially when it strays into electroacoustic territory. One of my current loves right now is Orkiestra Muzyki Nowej / musikFabrik / E-Mex-Ensemble / LutosAir Quintet / Lutosławski Quartet / Maciej Koczur / Szymon Bywalec / Johannes Schöllhorn / Christoph Maria Wagner / Marco Blaauw / Agata Zubel - Acousmatic Music (2021).

Acousmatic compositions written by Marcin Stańczyk between 2016 and 2018 and released on CD in 2021. The whole concept is insanely fascinating to me. Just the fact that the inspiration for this kind of musique concrète could come from Pythagoras' teaching style is the last thing I would've ever expected in a listening experience! Unfortunately this kind of performance is meant to be experienced live, with the audience blindfolded, and the performers moving silently about the room so the listeners have no idea where sounds will come from, separating the sounds from the sound-makers, just as Pythagoras would sometimes stand behind a curtain to lecture so that his students would focus on what he was saying and not on him. Hence the word “acousmatic”, coming from the Greek word akousmatikoi, referring to the students who were limited to pure listening. I did my best. I lay down on my bed, put on my headphones, turned off the lights, hit play, and closed my eyes. Not gonna lie: there are some rather alarming (mildly terrifying?) moments herein.

Mild Mavis and JuniorMaineGuide like this.
  6. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

I have not purchased any recordings of his except for his Naxos recordings of the Prokofiev Concertos. I did not know he was still recording.

George P likes this.
  7. George P

Some info here: Facebook | Facebook

Mild Mavis and Rose River Bear like this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

This morning. From the 70s section of the Karajan box -as I continue my systematic listening of its contents.[​IMG]

layman and TonyACT like this.
  9. Daedalus

I like this one:[​IMG]

McLover and TonyACT like this.
  10. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

The Rachmaninoff piano works performed by various pianists from the last ten years.
    Rachmaninoff
    Complete Piano Music
    Brilliant Classics, 2021
    8 CDs
    Pianists: Zlata Chochieva, Lukas Geniusas, Alexander Gavrylyuk, Santiago Rodriguez, Nils Franke, Elsa Tomellini, Ingrid Thorson, Julian Thurber, David Gardiner.
    Included are the works for two pianos, including the Symphonic Dances.
    [​IMG]

Wes H, TonyACT, MrMarty and 1 other person like this.
  11. Mild Mavis

Mild Mavis Forum Resident

Any opinions on the different musicians?

MrMarty likes this.
  12. Mild Mavis

Another from my charity shop finds.
    [​IMG]
    Unfortunately I can't recommend it. To me there's too much playing and too little feeling on top of which the sound quality leaves a lot to be desired. Just my opinion though and, as you will already know, I'm no expert by any stretch. Others may differ.

13. Mild Mavis

[​IMG]
    NP. One of the very first classical records I bought back in the early '70s. Obviously didn't make a great impression as it would be another twenty years or so before I returned to JSB who then became one of my favourites. I think virtually every classical record I bought back in those days, not that many I hasten to add, was on DG by HVK and the BPO.

Uncle Meat and TonyACT like this.
  14. Mild Mavis

On a second listen and it still seems rather bland to me. I'm going to research some alternative recordings.
    Edit. And I found the Abbado live recording from 2007 which, even streaming through my laptop speakers, sounds much more fun to me.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2021
    George P likes this.
  15. George P

Great video on a great pianist.

Mild Mavis and TonyACT like this.
  16. Daedalus

On the TT-Shafran plays cello. This is a new Melodiya reissue LP. Excellent![​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  17. dale 88

From a less than critical first listen, I didn't find any performances that made me question my favorites of works that I know. And also there are works there that I did not know.
    The first movement of the Symphonic Dances for two pianos made me listen more closely -performed by Ingrid Thorson & Julian Thurber.

Mild Mavis likes this.
  18. Matt Richardson

Matt Richardson Forum Resident

Playing some of this box set in memory of the fine conductor. Rest in Peace.

[​IMG]

19. George P

[​IMG]

Speaking of peace, I am finding some by revisiting this great box set.

20. George P

Yeah, I never liked Karajan's Baroque or Classical period recordings. I think his style/approach is best suited to Beethoven's music, the romantic period and the periods that follow it.

TonyACT likes this.
  21. George P

Haven't heard the others, but I think Santiago Rodriguez is a superb Rachmaninov interpreter.

Mild Mavis, TonyACT and dale 88 like this.
  22. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Beethoven's third symphony from the above box set.

23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Must admit I enjoy some of them, including his Four Seasons with Ms. Mutter and his 70s Mozart Requiem. At Christmas I will be enjoying his album of seasonal music with a Berlin Philharmonic chamber grouping :)

I know I'm in the minority there, same with Klemperer in similar repertoire.

Mild Mavis and George P like this.
  24. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD, which collects all of Solomon's studio recordings of Chopin made from 1932 -1946.

Matt Richardson and TonyACT like this.
  25. dale 88

I have sampled three of the Vivaldi series that is currently being issued by the Naive label. Since there are so many different musical groups being recorded, I don't see how one could recommend buying everything. I assume the various groups are using historically informed practices.

The following recording was given a favorable review and I took a chance on it. I found the performances excellent. Very pleased to have bought this![​IMG]
    If Julien Chauvin and Le Concert de la Loge are using historically informed practices then they have raised the bar extremely high.

The next two recordings I have some degrees of difficulty with the performances.
    [​IMG]
    I found Sergio Azzolini bassoon playing excellent, but the L'Onda Armonica not always to my liking.

The following recording was not to my liking. The sound of Boris Begelman's violin was not always pleasant. Of course the venue and the microphones could have contributed to my assessment. The performance of the Concerto Italiano led by Rinaldo Alessandrini was well done.
    [​IMG]