Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to this classic.[​IMG]

mBen989, jfeldt, garthhudson and 2 others like this.
  2. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this, with some company, who fully approves.

jfeldt likes this.
  3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Can't go wrong with Reiner. Which orchestra?

Incidentally, his first commercial recordings were released anonymously as two sets in a series on the "World's Greatest Music" label. These were part of a promotional scheme by a big newspaper chain in the 1930s; RCA Victor pressed the records, and the orchestras drew on members of the Philadelphia Or. and the NY Phil.-Sym. The record labels and albums identified only the works contained, not any of the musicians. Reiner's entries were an album of Debussy (Nocturnes, Nuages and Fetes; Prelude to the Afternoon of a Faun) and one of Wagner (Preludes, Meistersinger and Parsifal).

jfeldt, George P and broos like this.
  4. Rose River Bear

Rose River Bear Senior Member

Some Fritz recordings are my favorite versions but I have not heard much of his Mozart. I might have something on a compilation.

George P likes this.
  5. George P

Chicago Symphony Orchestra and NBC Symphony Orchestra

jfeldt likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thanks, George. I just had a look at my catalogue, and I see that I have what must be the same recordings on RCA Victor LPs. The 11th divertimento with the NBCSO is on LM-1952. It's coupled with something not included in your Testament issue: Mozart's wackiest work, Ein Musikalischer Spass. I should probably dig that one out and give it a whirl, just for fun (and it is!). The 17th divertimento and Eine Kleine Nachtmusik, with the CSO, are on LM-1966. I imagine the Testament issues must be pretty well remastered; if I remember correctly, you've said you usually aren't that fond of mono orchestral issues. Or are they from early stereo tapes, maybe not issued as such on LP?

7. George P

You are correct that I usually don't like mono orchestra recordings but I was referring to the pre-tape era.

8. drh

drh Talking Machine

Gotcha, and duly noted! I think I'm going to spend some time this weekend whittling down the Caruso records in that collection that came my way a while back. I've been working on them for several weeks now, off and on; the next lot I've segregated to check includes all the remaining numbers from French operas.

Speaking of which, this YouTube video, first of a series I think, may be of interest to those who are interested in opera and singing technique. I'm not well enough versed in technical matters to vouch for it, but it could serve as a springboard for further investigation. (Note: I'm not all that big a fan of the "role playing" aspect; others may find it more appealing.)

George P likes this.
  9. George P

Cool!

I have this set, transfers by Ward Marston:

[​IMG]

mBen989 and jfeldt like this.
  10. drh

drh Talking Machine

I expect that includes the Pathe (ex Anglo-Italian Commerce Company) and Zonophone issues? I neither have nor have seen any of the latter record$, but I do have all three of the former as vertical cut discs. Those same three recordings first issued as cylinders. One went through eBay a few years ago, and I did contest for it, but I dropped out well before it closed firmly into the four figures. No way was I going to put that kind of money into a record, especially a fragile wax cylinder that could arrive in a million pieces if the seller didn't pack it properly--or, possibly, even if he did--and even if it traveled OK could easily shatter when placed on a machine for play. The discs, issued in both 11.25" and 14" formats (I have them both ways, having purchased the former first) don't go exactly cheap, but they don't command that kind of money, and by comparison they're fairly sturdy. For the benefit of the curious, the three Pathe issues, all in Italian with piano accompaniment, were

Meyerbeer: Les Huguenots -- Qui sotto il ciel.
    Pini-Corsi: Tu non mi vuoi piu bene.
    Puccini: Tosca, Act III -- E Lucevan le Stelle (The Stars Were Shining).

Caruso rerecorded the two opera arias for Victor, but the Pathe/AICC recording is his only one of the Pini-Corsi song.

11. George P

I think the Naxos set is in chronological order. My set is out of reach at the moment, but if it is important to you, I can dig it out. I did find on Discogs that it looks like the three songs you mention start Volume 2 in the Naxos series :Enrico Caruso - The Complete Recordings Volume 2

[​IMG]

12. drh

drh Talking Machine

OK, no need to go excavating--I'm sure all will be there. The Zonophones are notably hard to find and expensive when they do turn up. Looks like a very nice set!

George P likes this.
  13. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying this CD, for the first time since I bought it 15 years ago.

14. George P

[​IMG]

Enjoying another negelcted disc, from the Angelich Brahsm box.

15. drh

drh Talking Machine

Here's a case where I "play against type" and actually like a modern recording--on CD, no less--better than any of the "78 era" recordings I've heard. I absolutely adore the first two sonatas, in particular, from this one, Sitkovetsky/Davidovich on Novalis:

[​IMG]

Not as enamored of the third, but I think that's the composer's fault, not the performers'. Alas, out of print; I think the label went belly up.

layman and George P like this.
  16. George P

They are works that I have been very slow to get to know. With classical, I have always gravitated toward the solo piano and orchestral works. I'm still getting used to how big and dynamic romantic chamber music is.

I have heard of that pianist, but I donn't own anything by her.

17. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying my favorite Op. 78.

John DeAngelis and mBen989 like this.
  18. drh

drh Talking Machine

She's the violinist's mom. She recorded a good bit of Chopin, among other things, but the Brahms sonata disc is far and away my favorite among those of her (relatively few) recordings I've heard.

layman and George P like this.
  19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Haydn
    The Creation
    Emma Kirkby
    Anthony Rolfe Johnson
    Michael George
    The Academy of Ancient Music
    Christopher Hogwood
    Decca, 1990
    2 CDs
    [​IMG]
    One must turn up the volume to really hear this version.

rockerreds likes this.
  20. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Hi everyone,

I've been following this thread for a while now, but never participated.
    I am looking for a good starting point to Josquin Des Prez.
    Can someone recommend me a regular CD of his works, that has good sound, is not too expensive and kind of representative?
    I've been searching this thread but couldn't come to a conclusion myself.

Single CD would be much preferred to boxsets or bigger collections of his work. I'd rather take some time to dive into one piece than get a glimpse of too many at once.

Thanks @ all. :)

21. George P

https://www.amazon.com/Missa-Lhomme-Arme-Josquin-Desprez/dp/B000007N5U

[​IMG]

djwkyoto likes this.
  22. djwkyoto

djwkyoto Forum Resident

Thank you very much, @George P , it's highly appreciated. :)

George P likes this.
  23. George P

My pleasure! :wave:

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Brahms: Variations on a Theme by Joseph Haydn
    Brahms: Symphony No. 3
    Liszt: Les Preludes no. 3
    Philadelphia Orchestra
    Eugene Ormandy
    from the mono box
    [​IMG]

jɑmbo and Eigenvector like this.
  25. George P

[​IMG]

Listening through this set, I am reminded of an early Beethoven sonata that IMO gets overloooked - Op. 7. What an amazing work and played here splendidly by Kempff.

mBen989 likes this.