Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

I had a look in my catalogue and found only one recording of Pembaur, oddly enough of the same piece: Liszt's second concerto, issued under license by US Decca from Odeon/Parlophone masters, three 78s with catalogue nos. 25449 through 25451 (sold as a group of singles, not a set, as far as I can tell). Frieder Weissman, who was something of a house conductor for Odeon at the time, led an orchestra not otherwise identified, probably a studio group.

OK, I did what I should have done before writing the foregoing and had a look at Wikipedia to get an bit more info about him. If the section on recordings there is anything like complete, the reason you don't see much by Pembaur is that he just didn't make many recordings. Born in 1875, he would have been in his early 50s by the time electric recording came along, not old for a pianist but definitely working toward the later part of a career, and before that he seems to have been one of those poor, misguided souls who opted for making reproducing piano rolls rather than phonograph records. From this I see that my concerto records were waxed in 1927. Here's the Liszt, er, list:

Recordings[edit]

[Edit] Note that Carl Lindstrom AG was the parent company for the Odeon label. Never heard of "Klankopname Studio's van Wouw," but it must have been a vanishingly obscure label. In 1927, electric recording had been around for only a couple of years.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2022
    Daedalus likes this.
  2. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Someone has the Liszt 78 set listed on eBay in fact. In any event the live performance issued in The Radio Legacy box is extremely good.

3. drh

drh Talking Machine

Have you received your copy yet? If so, I hope you're enjoying it--I've liked everything I've sampled from mine. One question, though: if it's not too much trouble, would you please check out disc 26, sonatas K. 410-427? I rip everything to hard drive for listening (in the case of Scarlatti, broken down into Kirkpatrick couplings), and that disc has been a real problem for my computer. Several others have been iffy, but on that one tracks 1-3 and 8 simply won't give me a clean rip, and for some others EAC returned "Could not verify as accurate, Copy OK." Even if you don't rip your discs, I'd be interested in whether it plays correctly. I'm wondering if I just got a bad copy or if it's a problem with the general pressing run.

4. drh

drh Talking Machine

I'd guess the Concertgebouw under van Beinum would easily best a studio pickup orchestra under Frieder Weissman. Not that Dr. Weismann was in any way not a good conductor, but still. I wonder if Pembaur made a specialty of the Liszt 2d? Funny that he would be captured in that same work on both occasions, considering that it's not exactly a "central" part of the literature--not obscure, certainly, but not quite in the "meat and potatoes" class, either. From the Wikipedia article, I have the impression he did perform but was primarily a composer and teacher, so he may well not have maintained a wide performing repertoire. Or I may be entirely off base; pure speculation/"reading between the lines" on my part.

Daedalus likes this.
  5. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

I received my copy the other day. Tracks 1-3 and 8 on disc 26 play correctly on my CD player. However, later tonight or tomorrow I will rip my disc to doublecheck. I use dbpowerAmp for my rips but it also shows if there are bad bits.

drh likes this.
  6. drh

drh Talking Machine

Thank you!

7. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying this superb set, which arrived over the weekend. The sound is wonderful and I got the 7CD set for only $16.99 new from amazon! For CD 1, I compared it to the EMI SACD and I preferred the more laid back sound on the CD, which was mastered by the great Art & Son. CDs comes in original jackets, but all but one have 50+ minutes of music. And each disc slleve has full fisc contents with recording venues/dates, unlike so many other box sets that give you zero info on the sleeves.

https://www.amazon.com/Elgar-Orches...lpcontext&ref_=fplfs&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Last edited: Jul 25, 2022
    Juan Matus, Daedalus, dale 88 and 2 others like this.
  8. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a lovely recording of Op.2 from the above set.

layman, dale 88 and Eigenvector like this.
  9. dale 88

I ripped Disc 26 and it ripped it OK except for track 6 which required two passes and then it had to re-rip 113 frames. It then said track 6 was 'Accurate'. All of the other tracks ripped as 'Accurate' with the first pass.

10. drh

drh Talking Machine

Sounds like it's a problem disc, at least to some extent. Thanks for checking and reporting back!

11. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying a lovely recording of Op.10 and Op. 13 from the above set.

layman, Eigenvector and jfeldt like this.
  12. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Tonight’s listen: a 1998 recording of MTT and the San Francisco Symphony performing Mahler’s first symphony. It was a random $2.99 clearance bin find, and when I looked it up later, saw it was never released and was only given to certain donors to SFS. It bogs down less than his recording of performances a few years later, and it is interesting to notice the contrasts. I am very happy with this surprise.

Mahler - San Francisco Symphony, Michael Tilson Thomas - Symphony No. 1 In D Major

WaterLemon, George P and broos like this.
  13. Daedalus

A great listen.[​IMG]

dale 88, George P and Juan Matus like this.
  14. Daedalus

And now. The CD has JS Bach, Concerto for 3 keyboards, Strings and Basso continuo in D minor included. The Beethoven is from 1955, the Bach from 1950. The book indicates that the tapes for the Bach were “unfortunately in a state beyond repair” so they could not improve the sound quality for that piece. Edit: the sound quality for the Beethoven is magnificent.[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 27, 2022
    George P likes this.
  15. Juan Matus

Juan Matus Reformed Audiophile

Wow that's a steal! I have not purchased any music in years but seriously thinking of ordering!

TonyACT and George P like this.
  16. drh

drh Talking Machine

A quick call-out to Dale, who has helped me fix my "disc 26" problem. Many thanks! More generally, for the benefit of those who may also contemplate buying the set, disc 26 was the only one that I couldn't get to rip cleanly, but my drive found several others challenging to read--lots of preambulatory starting and stopping before it could latch onto the first track, although things always went smoothly enough after that. My advice to those who contemplate buying a copy, at least of the edition I bought (Erato by Warner, picture of Ross on the cover, as depicted in a post I made upstream), would be to check the discs promptly upon receipt.

dale 88 and George P like this.
  17. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

Further to an earlier discussion of New Grove, I'm using them more than expected. As they sit right next to my favourite armchair I browse quite a bit. Yes, I like physical 'stuff'.

So much so that these are on order from the UK:

[​IMG]

Unfortunately, they have been sitting in a departure area in Coventry for eight days (odd, since they shipped from London). Hopefully they turn up here before Christmas :agree:

18. dale 88

You're welcome.

drh likes this.
  19. Daedalus

Welcome back!

George P and TonyACT like this.
  20. George P

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Now enjoying the Disc that contains the first symphony.

21. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

Currently listening to...

SAMUEL BARBER: Music for Solo Piano - Leon McCawley (US Virgin Classics CD)

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  22. George P

Nice disc - great performances!

TonyACT and mBen989 like this.
  23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

I listened to this $2 charity store CD purchase last night:

[​IMG]

The sound and performances were surprisingly good; quite often the 'lesser lights' can provide great enjoyment at a great price.

George P likes this.
  24. George P

Now enjoying these lovely works from this lovely set. A kind soul ripped the whole set to youtube (link above.) I have the big Samson Integrale set on EMI.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2022
  25. dale 88

Barber: Violin Concerto
    Barber: Piano Concerto
    Barber: Adagio for Strings
    Barber: Second Essay for Orchestra
    Barber: The School for Scandal Overture
    Isaac Stern
    NY Philharmonic
    Leonard Bernstein

John Browning
    Cleveland Orchestra
    George Szell

Eugene Ormandy [Adagio]

NY Philharmonic
    Tomas Schippers
    Sony,2009
    [​IMG]
    This is a likeable compilation except I prefer the James Buswell version of the Violin Concerto with the Royal Scottish National Orchestra and Marin Alsop. I don't care for Isaac Stern's intonation.

Ed Casey and TonyACT like this.