Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. drh

drh Talking Machine

I've liked what I've heard of Cimarosa. In addition to his operas, which were his main area of activity, he wrote a series of little keyboard sonatas not unlike Scarlatti's in scale, although I don't know that I'd put them quite in the same league musically. Arthur Benjamin adapted four of them into an oboe concerto; one of the various ways in which my local NPR affiliate's harpsichordophobic programming department bugs the heck out of me is by regularly playing the "Cimarosa oboe concerto" but never, ever, not once playing any of the sonatas as Cimarosa actually wrote them. Cimarosa did write a concerto, one for two flutes, that has received the occasional outing over the years, although I don't recall hearing it on said NPR affiliate (odd, considering that it features flute music in its programming generally a lot more than I would--but enough carping for one day!). As to the sonatas, Robert Veyron-Lacroix recorded (at least a bunch of) them on harpsichord for Westminster aeons ago, and one Roberte Mamou did the same on modern piano for Pavane. An alternative recording on harpsichord is by Robert Gotthard Schneider, issued by MHS, I assume under license from somewhere. I don't know if any of these recordings has made it to CD. Recordings that have been on CD are by Andrea Coen on Stradivarius and David Boldrini on Brilliant; both play period instrument pianos.

Back to the operas, no less than Arturo Toscanini recorded a couple of the overtures: the ones for Il Matrimonio Per Raggiro and Cimarosa's Greatest Hit, Il Matrimonio Segreto. Worth a listen if you like historical recordings. Both Cetra and Angel issued complete recordings of the latter work during the LP era.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    dale 88, layman and TonyACT like this.
  2. drh

drh Talking Machine

Marco Polo is a sublabel, or sister label, of Naxos. You can read more about it here: About Naxos

George P and TonyACT like this.
  3. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I was wondering about that. Their cover and spine styles are remarkably similar.

Now enjoying CD 01 from this wonderful new 5 CD set:

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2022
    dale 88, TonyACT and drh like this.
  4. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

We see things the same way! And I agree, you don't often get all of the pieces at the same time. Remember back when RCA had both the best artists and the best engineers and recordings? I digress. I tried the Salonen Firebird two nights ago, and it was just ok, to me. My attention was drifting, I think partially due to how muted it sounded, like I was in balcony seating. I'll be visiting other Firebird performances soon.

[​IMG]

dale 88, layman, drh and 1 other person like this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Listening to this CD right now. Excellent![​IMG]

6. George P

I don't have that one, but I love all of my Original Masters sets!

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  7. Daedalus

They did a good job with that series I think.

TonyACT and George P like this.
  8. George P

I only have eight of them, but they are all superb!

Backhaus - Beethoven Piano Sonatas
    Grumiaux - 2 sets - Various
    Trio Ditrieste - Various
    Beaux Arts Trio - Various
    Kempff mono - 2 sets - Various
    Askenase - Chopin

TonyACT and Daedalus like this.
  9. drh

drh Talking Machine

Two other labels from the same stable (HNH International) are Lydian and Donau. I don't know much about how either is positioned, although I have the unscientific impression Lydian may be a "budget" Naxos, if you can imagine such a thing. Neither seems to turn up all that often, but I have at least one or two CDs on both. For example, somebody named Istvan Szekely recorded the Chopin etudes on Donau DCD-8064.

Hmmm...I just went looking, unsuccessfully, for an image of the etudes disc on Donau, and I find that the same recording also has been on Lydian, Amadis, and the flagship Naxos labels. (Look at the image for the last-named quickly; it's from an eBay listing and doubtless will go away in due course.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

TonyACT and layman like this.
  10. George P

Thanks for that, David. Never heard of the pianist or those two labels. I'd say that I'd keep an eye out for the recording, but I am already drowning in etude recordings. :laugh:

TonyACT and drh like this.
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Gotcha! ;)

I'm not quite sure how I came to have that recording. If I remember correctly, it's one of those "respectable performances but in an overcrowded field" affairs, if you catch my drift.

12. George P

I do. :)

I find that there are those who wow with their technical prowess in these works (Pollini, Gavrilov), others who succeed in making them sound more like music and less like etudes (Anievas, Wild) and others still who manage to play them in a unique manner (Kemal Gekic.)

TonyACT likes this.
  13. 2much Vinyl

2much Vinyl Forum Resident

TonyACT likes this.
  14. drh

drh Talking Machine

And in a class by himself, of course, Friedrich Wuhrer. Too bad we have him only in op. 25. ;)

Kidding aside, he did produce a set of 18 studies on the etudes (score); a discussion is here: The Wuhrer-Chopin Etudes .

15. Daedalus

1956[​IMG]

16. George P

Now enjoying CD 02 from this wonderful new 5 CD set:

[​IMG]

TonyACT likes this.
  17. zen

zen Senior Member

Regarding the Alexander box. It's biggest claim to fame is the viola is louder than any version on the market. I had the pleasure of meeting these musicians after a performance and the violaist was aware of this quirky achievement.

TonyACT, JuniorMaineGuide and jfeldt like this.
  18. layman

layman Forum Resident

I have the Lydian version. Whatever the label, these are very enjoyable recordings of Chopin's Etudes in very pleasing sound.

TonyACT likes this.
  19. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Some excellent Mozart and Schubert by Trio Zimmerman
    [​IMG]
    Mozart: Divertimento in E flat Major
    Schubert: String Trio in B flat Major
    Trio Zimmerman
    Bis, 2010
    CD/SACD

20. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

[​IMG]

Sorry, I had to share.

My New Grove Dictionary of Opera has landed in Sydney after having apparently spent 19 days in the air ;)

George P likes this.
  21. Daedalus

First up this morning. Rozhdestvensky.[​IMG]

dale 88, TonyACT and George P like this.
  22. Daedalus

And now CD 14 from this box. Recorded 1947, 1948.[​IMG]

23. TonyACT

TonyACT Boxed-in!

After some further local delivery drama, the New Grove Dictionary of Opera has arrived from the UK and joined it's larger sibling on the shelf :)

[​IMG]

24. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Now listening to Alexandre Tharaud play Schubert on Erato, 2021.
    [​IMG]
    Schubert
    Impromptus D899
    Moments Musicaux D780
    Plus excerpts from the incidental music Rosamunde D797, transcribed by Alexandre Tharaud.

George P and TonyACT like this.
  25. Daedalus

Now listening to this live performance from 1994:[​IMG]