Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Live in Tokyo 1970
    Sibelius
    Symphony No. 7
    Weber
    Oberon Overture
    Berlioz
    RakoczkyMarch
    Mozart
    Symphony No. 40
    Cleveland Orchestra
    George Szell
    Sony Japan, 2000
    Recorded May 22, 1970
    Mastering Engineer DSD: Koji Suzuki
    Tokyo Bunka Kaikan concert hall

I had heard that this was a fine Sibelius 7. I agree. It was also interesting to hear Szell/Cleveland with different microphones, a different concert hall etc.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

So I found this at a rummage sale today.

[​IMG]

drh, MrJerry1876, dale 88 and 3 others like this.
  3. jfeldt

jfeldt Forum Resident

Congrats! Whenever I see the name Caruso I can’t help but think of the movie Fitzcarraldo

Daedalus, cws and mBen989 like this.
  4. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

Nice find! I have that whole Naxos set. It was mastered by one of the very best in the (78 records transfer) business.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2022
    Daedalus, mBen989 and jfeldt like this.
  5. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

The Sibelius symphony cycle under the baton of Rozhdestvensky is wonderful, in my opinion. Yes-it is forceful and colorful( at times Russian in intensity). But also delicate, gentle and poignant where it should be so.[​IMG]

dale 88 and George P like this.
  6. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying Fournier's first of three recordings of the complete Beethoven cello sonatas from the above set. The pianist is none other than Arthur Schnabel. Recording were made in 1947-1948.

Daedalus, dale 88 and MrJerry1876 like this.
  7. dale 88

dale 88 Errand Boy for Rhythm

Now listening to disc 6
    Scriabin
    Complete Piano Music
    Dmitri Alexeev
    Brilliant Classics, 2021
    [​IMG]

Daedalus and George P like this.
  8. George P

A great pianist. I love his Rachmaninov, but haven't heard his Scriabin.

9. George P

I feel that the competition in this area is particularly fierce. Omitting the complete sets, names like Casadesus, Haskil, Moravec and Kempff would be on my short list.

I just listenened to this 2CD set today and enjoyed it more than ever. He's well known for his Beethoven, but I think his style is even better suited to Mozart.

[​IMG]

10. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying the great Annie Fischer playing some Mozart PC. Her performances are let down by the often dull EMI sound. Nonetheless, her light mostly shines through.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2022
  11. drh

drh Talking Machine

Anybody here ever do business with an outfit called ClassicSelect World? It appears to have some insanely low prices on CDs, particularly in sets. For example, the Warner issue of the Pro Arte Quartet's Haydn series, 7 CDs, is $16.99. If you don't have this set, I strongly recommend the performances, although I've not heard the transfers, having made my own from my own 78s. Note that, although planned as a complete cycle of the quartets--a remarkably ambitious undertaking even today, and unimaginably so in the days of 78s--it was never completed because World War II interrupted the project; notwithstanding the site's title for the box, then, it's an extensive group of selected quartets, with only one or two opus numbers complete. HAYDN: THE COMPLETE STRING QUARTETS - PRO ARTE QUARTET (7 CDS)

Here's the site's general URL: ClassicSelect World - Great Music at Great Low Prices

Daedalus likes this.
  12. George P

Hi David,

Not familiar with that seller, but:

That set can be currently ordered from an amazon seller for a dollar cheaper: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D6G78H...0080&sprefix=haydn%20pro%20arte,aps,57&sr=8-1

I bought a copy of the set from amazon 3 years ago for a dollar cheaper than that! As for the transfers, they were expertly done by Art &Son Paris.

13. Daedalus

One of my favorite discs from the Stokowski phase4stereo Decca box:[​IMG]

14. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying some Mozart this morning, via Clara.

Daedalus, layman and MrJerry1876 like this.
  15. George P

[​IMG]

Wanted some more Wolfgang and Clara, so I put this on. She really has a special way with Mozart.

I love this Great Pianist series. I have many of the various sets. So much great stuff, much of it hard to find elsewhere. The series was executive produced by the controversial, yet knowledgable Tom Deacon. I've been lucky to correspond with him over the years and he has been the source of a great many personal recommendations.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2022
  16. Daedalus

This morning:[​IMG]

ToniFromMars and MrJerry1876 like this.
  17. Daedalus

A recording originally issued in 1972 and now collected as part of this excellent box set:[​IMG]

ToniFromMars likes this.
  18. George P

[​IMG]

Now enjoying concertos 1-4 from the above set. I know, Mozart orchestrated sonatas by famous German virtuosi for these concertos. Still, they are fun, light works. Anda and Camerata play them well and are also recorded well.

Eigenvector, MrJerry1876 and Daedalus like this.
  19. Daedalus

I picked up a few( not enough) of the sets when issued. The full box was $$$$$ at the time and still is( if you can find it).

George P likes this.
  20. George P

Yeah, I saw the set only once in a used store a few years back. All my copies were bought used.

21. George P

[​IMG]

Seemingly universally praised, this CD did not connect with me previously, but I have held onto it, hoping one day it would click. Tonight I am enjoying it more than before, even if the 1956 sound has been cleaned up to the point where it is dull. Hate when they do that!

jfeldt likes this.
  22. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

I was at a performance of Tchaikovsky 6 last night (Halle Orchestra) which was great, although like many of you I have heard the work 100 times. It struck me again how there is no "overlap" of themes between the four movements of this last Tchaikovsky symphony, at least in the most obvious sense. But this cross-referring of melodies was a particular characteristic of Tchaikovsky 4 and 5, where the thematic material from the opening is revisited directly in the finale (and in the case of the 5th, in all four movements).

There are many other examples of this quoting melodies/themes/motifs across symphonic movements. Beethoven clearly did it in to an extent in symphony 5 and more overtly in no 9, and contemporaries of Tchaikovsky, and those who came after, did it - Bruckner, Mahler, Rachmaninov, Dvorak and countless others I expect.

But when did this idea begin - was it Beethoven who did it first - did it then take a long time to be commonly used as a musical device? I tried doing some internet research but it is a hard question to put into a google search - and thus I didn't get very far. Any other information or examples would be welcome from the collective wisdom of the SHF :)

jfeldt likes this.
  23. Åke Bergvall

Åke Bergvall Forum Resident

An obvious early example, almost contemporaneous with Beethoven's 9th Symphony, would be Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique from 1830 with its idée fixe. While not quite the same thing, earlier composers like Bach based whole works of up to an hour on a single theme or chord progression, for example A Musical Offering and The Art of Fugue, not to mention the countless Theme and Variations written from before Bach until today.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2022
    layman and MikeF63 like this.
  24. MikeF63

MikeF63 Forum Resident

Thank you - yes indeed the Symphonie Fantastique is a perfect example. And Harold in Italy would be similar (the general outline of which was recycled by Tchaikovsky in Manfred, with some "encouragement" from others) but maybe that's too obvious given they are both intended to be "programmatic".

As you say, other examples of melodic development and recapitulation are everywhere, and I was really focussed on symphonic movements rather than single works or sets of variations.

Åke Bergvall likes this.
  25. drh

drh Talking Machine

Not forgetting Cesar Franck and "cyclical form"...

Åke Bergvall and MikeF63 like this.