Classical Corner Classical Music Corner

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by George P, May 29, 2015.

1. jukes

jukes Forum Resident

Enough? Really? I just can't get enough of the Seventh... ;)

2. Scott Wheeler

Scott Wheeler Forum Resident

Not me. Not at all!

John S likes this.
  3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

I'm not sure I'm interpreting your statement correctly, but there is a 12CD Warner Classics set with all of Celibidache's Bruckner recordings for EMI (he didn't record Symphonies 0-2 for EMI):

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Celibidache-Bruckner-Celibadache/dp/B005HYNCTK/ref=sr_1_1?s=music&ie=UTF8&qid=1433363154&sr=1-1&keywords=celibidache bruckner

http://www.amazon.com/Celibidache-2...pebp=1433363214683&perid=0BWNAS05H0MNB2Q74JZ2

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
    bluemooze likes this.
  4. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

So did I. I bought all of Carlos Kleiber's orchestral recordings for DG on LP and CD, and Beethoven 5 and 7 also on SACD. Don't have the LPs anymore.

5. john greenwood

john greenwood Senior Member

I also have his Traviata on SACD and his Rosenkavalier on DVD.

6. Bachtoven

Bachtoven Forum Resident

Thanks for mentioning this recording--I just ordered it! Every recording that I own from that label has fantastic playing and sound.

7. john greenwood

I also listened to their Geminiani disc, which I think I liked even more.

8. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I thought this was a demand from Philips that its name not be used in any of the original Philips recordings when they are re-issued by UM since Philips is no longer in the music business ...

9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Philips became part of Universal in 1998 and the label's name was licensed by its former parent company. Universal merged Philips Classics with Decca in 1999 (the pop division merged with Mercury); they ceased all its activities in the Netherlands where Philips was originally based and stopped using the Philips name.

10. coopmv

I believe that was done to avoid giving the impression that Philips, the electronics company, still has something to do with the music business. The move is similar to what happened after GE sold its home appliances a while back and after a few years, the name GE had simply disappeared from the home appliance market altogether ...

11. coopmv

So the box really does not represent the complete Bruckner cycle ...

12. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Such awesome sound, performances and compositions.

[​IMG]

augustwest, ToddBD, alankin1 and 3 others like this.
  13. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

[​IMG]

Planning a full listen through the Haydn quartets in the coming weeks, starting tonight with the above two CD set.

14. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct. As noted Celibidache did not record Bruckner's symphonies 0-2 for EMI.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2015
  15. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Festetics' Op.9 is the only one of their Haydn cycle I don't have. It's pretty hard to find for a reasonable price but a Dutch seller on Amazon U.K. had one. I hope to get it later today. The complete Festetics Haydn cycle was released in a box last year.

16. George P

George P Notable Member Thread Starter

I have most of the set by Tatrai, with some by Festetics and Quatuor Mosaiques to fill in the gaps.

17. john greenwood

The set is on Tidal.

I have most of the quartets - all the mature ones, I believe - by either Quatour Mosaiques or the Amadeus Quartet,

18. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Quatuor Mosaïques Haydn quartets are wonderful. A pity they didn't do a complete cycle.

George P likes this.
  19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Festetics' complete Haydn set:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Mik and bluemooze like this.
  20. john greenwood

When they came to the 92nd St. Y, Hanna Arie-Gaifman, the artistic director, begged me to check them out. I passed.:hide:

21. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I'm a big fan of Decca, but it bugs the **** out of me when they plaster that label on Philips recordings.

McLover, augustwest, geralmar and 3 others like this.
  22. john greenwood

I typed their name into the Tidal search engine and found a number of recordings of quartets by composers with whom I am unfamiliar. Right now listening to works by Franz Grill.

23. ceedee

ceedee Forum Resident

[​IMG]

this morning's tunes

Mik, bluemooze and John S like this.
  24. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

Quatuor Mosaiques' Haydn set is among the best there is.
    Also Christophe Coin is an absolute genius IMO, his three volumes of Bach Cantatas with the Ensemble Baroque de Limoges are among my favorites. Whenever I see his name in a HIP recording, it is an instant buy for me.

25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm in the new unattached house, so here we go for early morning non-headphone listening. Disc 1. Symphony #1, the Scherzo from the Octet, the Midsummer Night Dream, Hebrides and Calm Sea Overtures. This is very nice set from Abbado and the LSO.

[​IMG]

tomymontana, Mik, ToddBD and 2 others like this.