Classical Music Fans: if I like these songs what else would I like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Although I'm trying to expand my knowledge in classical I seem to always go back to these classic compositions that I have loved since I was a child. I admit they are cliche and on-the-nose choices but they are the ones that speak to me the strongest.

So going by this list, are there any other classic compositions that I may like that are in the same vein as these? I'm sure there are many other great ones that I am not aware of so any help from more knowledgeable fans would be great appreciated!

Wagner: Die Walkure: Ride of the Valkyries
    Khachaturian: Gayane: Sabre Dance
    Rossini: William Tell Overture
    Grieg: Peer Gynt Suite no. 1, Op. 46: In The Hall of the Mountain King
    Bizet: Carmen Suite No. 1: Les toreadors

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    mark winstanley likes this.
  2. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

From that list, it seems like you're into pieces with good "big" moments. You might like Dvorak's "New World Symphony". Digging into some more opera, like Verdi's Aida, may give you some good finds, too, depending on how you feel about vocals.

starduster, Steve Mc and MRamble like this.
  3. MRamble

MRamble Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yes "big moments" and I'd also describe them as very "hooky" and very "swingy." I wish my tastes were more sophisticated but this is what's always been working for me. Hoping to expand that. Thanks for the suggestions!

4. Emergency Whiskey

Emergency Whiskey Forum Resident

I'm admittedly a pretty casual classical listener, but I don't think cultivating a "sophisticated" taste is all it's cracked up to be. These pieces are well-used enough to be considered cliche for a reason -- they're very good, and they push the right buttons for you. That's what it's all about.

Tanx and MRamble like this.
  5. Steve Mc

Steve Mc Bangles Encyclopedia

For memorable melodies and overall big orchestral sound, some of the film scores of John Williams could fit the bill.

Also, take a listen to some Tchaikovsky, like the Piano Concerto and the ballets.

MRamble likes this.
  6. bruce2

bruce2 Forum Resident

Beethovens symphonies. Especially 5-9.

7. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Wagner wrote great overtures to his operas, and so did Rossini. Look for overture compilations. You might also like the famous opening to Richard Strauss Also Sprach Zarathustra.

Last edited: May 25, 2019
    zeram1 likes this.
  8. realgone

realgone Forum Resident

Prokofiev - Lieutenant Kijé

R. Totale likes this.
  9. StarThrower62

Famous excerpt from Stavinsky's Firebird ballet.

zeram1 likes this.
  10. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

You really can’t go wrong with Pavarotti’s interpretation of Nessun Dorma, from Pucinni’s Turandot

11. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

Try the Donizzetti's overtures, most of them are pretty good, much in the vein of Rossini's. Believe me, you won't regret it...

zeram1 likes this.
  12. Rick Robson

Rick Robson

I guess in the case of the OP's requests, Beethoven's Overtures are more appropriate, they are all a must have!

13. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

Like you I was first introduced to classical via the same Wagner piece you listed. That being said, please listen to Gustav Holt’s The Planets, specifically Mars:

Karnak, FillmoreGuy and StarThrower62 like this.
  14. StarThrower62

Rick Robson likes this.
  15. Josquin des Prez

Josquin des Prez I have spoken!

16. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

Like Grieg, another great Scandinavian composer, Sibelius’ Finlandia:

After which, please explore his symphonies as well.

MRamble and Rick Robson like this.
  17. StarThrower62

18. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

From that list, I'm going to conclude, you like these due to the frequency and familiarity qualities. So...nothing else will satisfy.

Nothing else will sound like those to you, because...you know these. Yes, many others will exhibit these qualities, which classical afficianados will tell you, but...you will not get the same "buzz" from any of them, because they are not these.

This is a bitter pill, and I wish I didn't have to break it to you, but there is something about the connection to these that, you will have to expand on your own, to fully appreciate. You will have to learn what it is, in these listed cuts, that offer a similar quality that you will most certainly find in other pieces. You listen to other similar, yet unfamiliar, pieces, you will not get this buzz, until you fully commit to the discovery process, knowing you're not going to hear "these specific moments" in other pieces again. You have to get past that, in order to appreciate fully the wealth of newer experiences at your command, once you are willing to try them for yourself.

This is just like getting "the other" Buffalo Springfield album, or "the other" Blind Faith album, or trying "similar" artists doing other pop hits from the same epoch you liked other pop artists from. You just have to try with an open set of ears, and mind.

So, just take these other suggestions in the manner they were intended, and do know up-front, you will not like any as much as you do these. BUT...you may grow to do so...and that's where the magic happens!

19. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

There are several great recordings of compilation of Rossini’s overtures...not just William Tell, but the Barber of Seville, etc. I have vinyl of Bernstein, and a few other conductors, but there are several more nowadays via digital.

20. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

Another powerful one, Carl Orff’s Carmina Burana:

Jeff Kent and LeBon Bush like this.
  21. FillmoreGuy

FillmoreGuy Forum Resident

The Planets has influenced many a film score. You can't go wrong with this work.

zeram1 likes this.
  22. zeram1

zeram1 Forum Resident

Igor is my favorite composer these days. Another great piece by him is The Rite of Spring:

Igor Stravinsky "The Rite of Spring"

StarThrower62 likes this.
  23. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

This one should be on your bucket list:
    [​IMG]
    Massenet: Le Cid
    Klavier Records

24. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Agreed that The Rite of Spring is a great piece of music, but it's also the complete opposite of what the OP is looking for. It's very demanding music.

Here's a CD I have which I think may be worth consideration:

[​IMG]
    Leonard Bernstein, New York Philharmonic:

Dukas: Sorcerer's Apprentice / Saint-Saens: Danse Macabre / Saint-Saens: "Bacchanale" from Samson And Delilah / Chabrier: España / Ravel: Pavane For A Dead Princess / Offenbach: Orpheus Overture

MRamble, you might already know "España" and maybe even "The Sorcerer's Apprentice". And "The Can Can" comes from the Offenbach piece here.

25. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

I came here to say that. If you want to experience dynamics, a good recording of the Lt. Kije suite cannot be beat! And you will recognize some melodies.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.