Classical Music Fans: if I like these songs what else would I like?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MRamble, May 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LeBon Bush

LeBon Bush Hound of Love

Prokofiev's "Alexander Nevsky" is full of BIG moments - try the Battle On The Ice, for example:

Personally, I also love Shostakovich's 12th Symphony ("The Year of 1917"), although many will disagree with me as its considered one of his lesser, more controversial works. His 6th, 11th and 14th symphonies are also fantastic experiences, though I like all 15 of his symphonies. Have the 12th for a start:

Dmitri Shostakovich - Symphony No. 12: The Year 1917

Pouchkine likes this.
  2. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky's 1812 Overture

3. mmars982

mmars982 Forum Resident

Rodrigo: Concerto de Aranjuez

[​IMG]

You might like the Fantasia para un Gentihombre as well

4. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

These are pieces that i like too ...
    Der Ring des Nibelungen by Wagner, is where Ride Of The Valkyrie comes from ... It is surely a masterful work, but very heavy going. I'll be honest and say it was a little too much for me.

Some of my other favourites

Mozart 40th symphony (one of my favourite pieces of music from any genre)
    Thomasso Albinoni - Adagio (it has been used in several places, and the Doors even did a version of it I believe)
    Obviously Beethoven has some very famous, dramatic and hooky pieces.
    Tchaikovsky Piano concerto 1 ... and give the Nutcracker a go... it seems to have been made into some kind of Children's Christmas thing, but it is a significant work in my opinion.
    I can't remember what the piece is but Prokofiev had a piano concerto that was amazing .... it was like classical music does heavy metal or something... really good. I'm sure some classical expert can give it a name.

5. Ginger Ale

Ginger Ale Snackophile

See whether your cable provider has music channels. Find a classical channel and just listen. They usually tell you what's playing.

Emergency Whiskey likes this.
  6. mark winstanley

Ravel's Bolero

7. mark winstanley

Zappa's Ravel's Bolero

8. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

Tchaikovsky was my “entry level” composer but after decades of classical listening his music is still fascinating. Try symphonies 4-6, the suites to the ballets (Nutcracker, Swan Lake, Sleeping Beauty), the violin concerto, first piano concerto and Romeo & Juliet overture. Next would be Beethoven!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.