Cleaning new vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

It depends on how much dust the record has on it. I get better playback and keep my stylus cleaner using clean records. Sure, my records sound fine when dusty, but I prefer using a nice clean record.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  2. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Open some windows maybe. I get very little dust on my records.

3. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Opening windows would be worse.

SandAndGlass likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

How so? Does your window open to a Sawdust factory?

Swordsandchains and Shawn like this.
  5. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

Do you live in some land of make believe? I live near a couple of streets. Cars create dirt. The neighbor mowing the lawn creates dirt. Wind blowing over property with areas of sandy dirt creates dust and dirt coming through the windows.
    I keep my listening room clean. I keep the door closed. I do notice in the summer when I open the windows the dust levels are higher.

6. Leonthepro

If further from the city and away from a street is make believe land to you then yes.

bever70 likes this.
  7. TheVinylAddict

TheVinylAddict Look what I found

Do you wear a clean room bunny suit when listening, and does your listening room have an air shower entry portal? :winkgrin::laugh:
    [​IMG]

8. anonymous

anonymous Active Member

I posted this picture on another thread, but it may be helpful here.

[​IMG]

It varies, but people can see something about as small as 50um in size. On the vinyl record close-up picture above, the scale bar is 50um so the record grooves can be easily seen, but all of the other debris would be invisible to the naked eye so the record would look perfectly clean to the eye. A key item to note is that the debris is much larger in size than the sidewall grooves that carry the sound information as shown below and the debris can be removed with a wet vacuum or ultrasonic clean.

[​IMG]

Old Rusty, classicrocker and Tullman like this.
  9. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

No, that would be Leonthepro's room...

TheVinylAddict likes this.
  10. Leonthepro

Its amazing what the clean outdoors and a properly humidified room can do.

11. Leonthepro

Do we know that the above picture is from a new record?

12. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

So, no wind in your land or road leading up to your house. Trees and leaves create dust and pollen. None of it's there in make believe land.

13. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Lots of dust and pollen here in Sweden at this time of year, so no exceptions here.

I clean all new purchased (both new and/or used) records with my beloved Okki Nokki- one of the most if not THE most important component in my vinyl rig. I then dust clean the records with a carbon optic record brush before each play. Finally I keep my stylus clean with the Zerodust and after each listening session I clean the stylus with Lyra SPT cleaning fluid. I’ve kept this discipline for many years and I’ve never encountered any problems.

Floyd Crazy likes this.
  14. Leonthepro

No road directly outside the window. And Im pollen allergic, when there is some in the room I will notice visually and reactionary. Theres simply far less debris in the outside air most of the time.

15. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

All of my brand new records are dead silent if they are pressed well. Not sure where this obsession with cleaning new records came from. Even our host is on record saying he doesn't. To each their own...

IR66, Morbius and SandAndGlass like this.
  16. Leonthepro

It comes both from unfounded myths but also facts of pressing plants being dirty as all hell and dirt, fingerprints and other debris actually being visible when you pull out the vinyl. Its simple enough to clean 10 new records and see the liquid reservoir being filled with a very dirty fluid.

17. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

If the reason to clean is to feel fulfilled seeing some dirty water afterwards then by all means, people should go nuts.

18. Leonthepro

That is, after all, why we all mop the floor.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
  19. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member

Why?I have records that I bought over 35 years ago that are clean and play superbly and have only seen a microfiber brush.

Morbius and SandAndGlass like this.
  20. BrilliantBob

BrilliantBob Select, process, CTRL+c, CTRL+z, ALT+v

Wet cleaning for any vinyl I run on my TT.

21. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

Well said Leon, for some of us it comes from the experience of new vinyl having pops and clicks right out of the sleeve and visible dirt on the LP. I also use a Spin Clean as first step cleaner and there is almost always stuff floating in the water after cleaning new vinyl.

Maybe not every new vinyl needs cleaning but I find that the exception to the rule.

In any case why not clean new vinyl as all it takes is short time to accomplish?

Last edited: Mar 23, 2019
    Leonthepro and GyroSE like this.
  22. GyroSE

GyroSE Forum Resident

Why not? The question is; are your records really clean deep in the grooves?

23. Leonthepro

The ones that both look and play near perfect I might not clean, at least until I feel it is necessary for some reason. But I agree that its a rather rare case.

24. IR66

IR66 Well-Known Member

I get a new record and first I use a zero stat gun on it,then I brush off the dust with a carbon fiber brush.
    I then play it.If it plays fine with no noise and ticks I leave it alone.
    If I get one after using a zero stat gun that has a speck of dust here and there that's causing a tick, I stop the turntable and spot clean the dust particle off with a barely damp microfiber cloth and a drop of distilled water,a flourescent flashlight is great for spotting dust particles stuck to the vinyl that cause an obvious tick.
    This works for me, I don't buy many used records,but when used records are really dirty and full of fingerprints with lots of dust particles stuck to the vinyl to numerous to spot clean, then they need a deep wet clean and a vacuum,but that's not very often.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2019
  25. Muriel Heslop

Muriel Heslop Night is young and the music's high

I have done some side-by-side listening comparisons where I clean(Okki Nokki)one side of a brand new record only and then listen to the entire album.Each and every time there was a clear,audible benefit to the side that was cleaned.

I do think one needs to have a higher end system to be able to hear this difference.Also,IMO,if you have some decent money invested in your cartridge,it makes perfect sense to take the steps necessary to prolong it's life as much as possible.

So yes,I clean every record before it hits the platter.

Satrus, Randy Robinson and GyroSE like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.