Cleaning new vinyl?

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Positively Vinyl, Feb 20, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

No, it was more round and blotchy all over. This doesn't look like it.

I'm not sure there is any added value other than saying sometimes new records are visibly dirty and need a clean, but look, at least someone thinks mold release is part of the process. - Explanation of how vinyl records are made/pressed - The Last Factory .

2. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Although I don't use a Groove Washer, my method isn't too dissimilar and it is sometimes amazing to hear what a few iterations of cleaning/playing can do.

cliff_forster likes this.
  3. davidkeith

davidkeith Senior Member

I wonder where this idea of mold release comes from. I've read a couple of interviews that something is added to the actual vinyl to help release from the press, but I can't find them at this point. And, this is several years out of date, but I did an article for a college newspaper way back in the dark ages of the late 70s about record pressing and record quality issues. Took an extensive tour of the Columbia Terre Haute plant. Nothing was sprayed or added to the stampers to aid in release. Nothing. Just label, label, vinyl puck and close press. That said, the plant was not a clean room, not by any stretch. Nor was the RCA pressing plant that was a few blocks from my home back in the 60s. It had no AC and the windows were always thrown wide open in warm weather.

Leonthepro likes this.
  4. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

We have seen tons of walkthroughs of plants and their processes and none mention a step like this however.
    Maybe some plant used it in the past, but not anymore it seems.

WDeranged and cliff_forster like this.
  5. Leonthepro

Taking a closer look, the source you link to is not a surprising one since LAST sells products that describe how they remove this "mold agent".
    They are usually where people point to in regards to it, but other then them theres not many sources.

6. cliff_forster

cliff_forster Crabby Dad Tech

Probably, I'd imagine the metal they use for the stampers now is more advanced, I guess if you can make a frying pan you cant get melted cheese to stick to, you might be able to do the same for a vinyl pressing mold.

Yeah, I don't know what it is, it's like circular and blotchy and I've seen it a few times. I didn't take note each time, but I do know the last time I saw it was just recently with a copy of Ray LaMontaigne Monovision that I picked up at a Barnes and Noble.

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Leonthepro

Well if you see it again make sure to take a picture.

cliff_forster likes this.
  8. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

After doing some tests over the last couple of months I've come to the realization that, generally speaking, cleaning new vinyl manually does not make much auditory difference at all when it comes to surface noise...at least not in a positive way. I have not used any ultrasonic cleaning, but I have used manual wet cleaning and manual vacuum systems. In almost all of my attempts the cleaning process most definitely left behind residue...an almost staticky sound that was audible in silent passages and between tracks. I found that this even existed after doing a rinse. Additionally, extra pops/clicks were present which were most likely from the brushes (I cleaned them consistently, but it's probably impossible to rid brushes of every single microscopic particle). I have also been playing new vinyl without cleaning it first. For records that have been pressed and packaged well...they are near silent. All I did was give these records a light dry brushing with my Mofi brush (not turning the turntable), followed by a dusting with my AudioQuest anti-static carbon fibre brush. Do this each time to get rid of any surface particles. When I played these records, n o staticky residue sound and pops/clicks were at a minimum. Those new records that didn't sound great were treated to a wet/vacuum cleaning and very little difference was heard at all. I really do think that these cleaning machines are really the most beneficial for used vinyl that absolutely must be cleaned before play. I'm changing my mindset when it comes to cleaning; new records that are not defective are the ideal...cleaning used records with my cleaning process is an attempt to get these records as close to the "ideal" as possible. I might very well be wrong in thinking this, but I am just going by what I hear...which is, ultimately , the most important thing.

matrix-6 and Big Blue like this.
  9. Leonthepro

What kind of residue are you leaving behind?

Vinyl Archaeologist likes this.
  10. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

I'm not sure what "kind" is being left; however, when I play a new record that has been wet cleaned vs. a new record that has only been dry cleaned, there is a very noticeable crackling sound in the lighter passages and space between tracks. Almost sounds staticky...

11. Leonthepro

Have you tried replaying it? Are the crackles in the same place each time?

12. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

What are you using for cleaning solution?

13. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

A few different fluids: Mofi One, Record Doctor fluid, Mofi Pure Rinse and, on a few records, the Spin Clean fluid.

14. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

In some cases, yes, and it’s often still there.

15. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I asked because I’ve had no such issues with L’Art du Son, and leave no residue because I vacuum thoroughly. I could see some fluids being more difficult to fully remove than others, though.

I have found some brand new records are fine without cleaning, though. It really seems to depend on what type of inner sleeve the record comes in and, I presume, the particular plant’s cleanliness (though I haven’t necessarily made note of which plant has pressed everything).

16. Vinyl Archaeologist

Vinyl Archaeologist Forum Resident

I think there must be a step that is leaving residue. Record that have been through my 3 step process or the degritter are dead silent in a quietly pressed groove. It can be hard to discern if the needle has been dropped. I use audio intelligent solutions with a reagent grade water rinse. I’m not crazy about cross contamination but do keep a bowl of pure water and rinse things on a regular basis.

Big Blue likes this.
  17. Leonthepro

Then its not static. Seems like your cleaning solution is bad somehow, I wouldnt use it even on dirty records.

AH55 likes this.
  18. Leonthepro

LDS leaves a residue, not much and it doesnt seem to affect sound, but you can clearly see its effect if you take before and after pictures of the deadwax.

Big Blue likes this.
  19. Big Blue

Big Blue Forum Resident

I may have to try doing that next time. I haven’t noticed any residue, though.

Leonthepro likes this.
  20. Leonthepro

Take one with a clean deadwax, after a clean you should see small white specks appear, like tiny freckles.

21. AH55

AH55 Forum Resident

So, it seems that a part of my issue may not have been the fluid/brushes, but rather with the vacuuming...I may not have actually been vacuuming for long enough! I have a Record Doctor VI and use the machine with the provided brush and fluid. I use a decent amount of the fluid per side (I actually put a line of it at the 12:00 and 6:00 points on the record. Out of fear of adding too much static, I only ever vacuumed 2/3 times per side; however, I've just tested a few records where I spread the fluid (2 rotations each way) and vacuumed each side slowly 8 times (4 rotations each way in groups of 2). So far, barely any pops/clicks at all...and those that are audible are ones that were there before (played before any cleaning) so most likely will never be able to leave (but these are few and far between). The music sounds really dynamic and that residue sound is not there at all. So...perhaps I jumped the gun. Perhaps the problem in my process did have to do with brushes or fluid but rather the dry time. Was worth trying this out! Seems like the recommended 2-3 rotations for the Record Doctor VI might be a little on the light side...at least to my ears.

22. Leonthepro

Maybe so, when I apply the fluid I draw a flower pattern around the record as I found a simple line doesnt cover well enough and I got extra static.

23. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

All records go through the record doctor, then a fresh mofi sleeve before they go be near the TT

AH55 likes this.
  24. BKphoto

BKphoto JazzAllDay

I go 4 one way then 4 the other way at a moderate speed....

AH55 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.