Clearaudio Concept Satisfy Tonearm Lift help

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Illson20, Sep 15, 2021.

1. Illson20

Illson20 New Member Thread Starter

Hi!

first time poster on stevehoffman and looking for a little help with the setup of a new clearaudio concept black with satisfy tonearm and concept v2 cart.

Context: I picked this up used locally. I got it from a local dealer as a demo unit with reportedly low hours. The dealer himself does not have any expertise in TT setup and never ran the unit himself - he acquired it second hand from a shop that closed where he knew the owner (who supposedly took very good care of the gear). Context important because the unit should still have the original factory setup from clearaudio with limited hours on it as far as we know…

Issue: the tonearm lift is not doing its job. In the raised position it does not make contact with the tonearm - raising / lowering it has no affect on stylus pressure. (It is always touching the record). The only place I do get some contact is when the tonearm is off the platter and over to the side (stylus will descend below height of TT platter when lift is deactivated). There is no reason to assume any adjustments have been made to the setup and I’ve checked that the tracking force is in line with original spec (2.2g for the concept v2) and the TT platter is level.

To the eye the tonearm already looks parallel with the platter but the only think I can think to do is increase the height of the arm via the VTA adjustment. It doesn’t seem that would have the desired effect of returning proper function of the lift but am I missing something else?? Is there something wrong with the alignment or do I need to make some small adjustments? Why would this need to be adjusted in the first place if the unit has relatively low hours / use and the cart has never been changed?

Last note: the dealer seems reasonable so if I need to return it because there is actually an issue he may be open to it. I want to avoid hacking anything up beyond basic adjustments so there’s no potential that I’ve actually done some damage myself.

thanks for your thoughts!

2. Davey

Davey NP: Peter Gregson ~ Patina

We talked some about the geometry of the Satisfy arm adjustments in this thread ... New turntable woes (TT-15S1) ... maybe you could post a couple pictures so we could see the current setup of the arm, similar to the pictures in the linked thread showing the lifter and the lateral bearing gap.

3. Illson20

Hey Davey - thanks for your response! Very helpful thread. It looks like I may need to adjust that lateral bearing height?

I attached a few pics of how it's currently setup. I need to find my allen key set tomorrow to make the adjustments. Let me know if you think that's the best path forward here - thank you for your help! I'm still confused as to why I'd need to mess with this any way - everything else looks set up correctly. The only thing I could imagine is that maybe the old shop owner demo'd it with a different cartridge that required adjustments and he never went back to ensure the liftarm was engaging appropriately?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Illson20

Let's try that again...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Davey

I can't see your images, google expires them quickly, but yes, the set screw on the back of the tonearm assembly that holds the lateral bearing should be loosened to adjust the bearing height. You need to lower it a little so the arm tube is closer to the cue lift arm. And then raise the VTA by the same amount, or until arm tube is parallel to record surface, if that is how you had it set.

The Satisfy arm isn't the best for adjustments, it's an odd design with the fixed position of the cueing assembly and the adjustable lateral bearing, opposite most arms, and confusing to most people since they don't document these adjustments, at least anywhere I've seen. If you look at it closely, and understand the design, it kind of makes sense, but not the way I would design it :)

6. Illson20

Thanks for your help Davey! I didn’t think there was much margin there for adjustment but just a bit went a long way. All sorted now - nice to have a working arm lift!

Davey likes this.
  7. Davey

Glad you got it adjusted OK.