Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Well, to Bobby and bob60. Not only are we still going, but we´re very hurt by your absence... :cry:

He, he. Nice to see you here! We´re still here, but I have been a bit too busy to be able to keep posting regularly. That´s partly because my work load is huuuuge rught now, and partly because the music under discussion is generally less interesting these days. ("SOMETHIN´ IS GOIN´ ON" and the new track with The Piano Guys proved to be exceptions to that rule.) Please do add your comments to the "REAL AS I WANNA BE" and "WANTED" albums, and I ´d love to read both your views on the latest album under discussion. As you may have guessed, it´s rather a favourite of mine. And Indian summer, if you like.

My postings will be a bit on the erratic side also in the near future, but I intend to post at least three times this week. As we leave the SGO album behind, I guess the comments will be less favourable than before. As they should be, to be honest. I´m almost looking forward to write about the love compilation. Almost.

Welcome, dear friends of yore. Feel free to vent! :wave:

2. Jarleboy

I never thought about that, but it´s veery funny! Wondered if they knew...

CheshireCat, StephenB and mark ab like this.
  3. Jarleboy

I think of it as Cliff´s last classic... and probably it will remain so. (The new song with The Piano Guys is great, but I still haven´t played it that much. I do actually spin more than Cliff albums, believe it or not!)

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  4. Jarleboy

For once, we agree on a song... He, he. No, we have agreed several times in the past on Cliff´s songs, but we respond differently to some of them. And I love that!

5. Jarleboy

I never knew about it until I stumbled across it a few months ago. I bought the single, and I think it´s one of Mike Read´s better songs. And I am aware that´s saying that Titanic was one of the more interesting ship wrecks...

It´s almost surreal to have all that amount of talent present in one recording.

6. Jarleboy

Album, 25 October 2004, recorded 2003-2004 - UK - Decca Records 475 6524

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

From Wikipedia:
    'Something's Goin' On' is the 32nd studio album by British singer Cliff Richard, released by Decca on 25 October 2004 in the UK. The album reached #7 in the UK Albums Chart and was his first top 10 album since 2000. The album was certified "Gold" by the BPI.

This album was Richard's first with Decca and was recorded in Nashville, Franklin and Miami in the United States. Reviews of the album were positive, with The Sun saying he had "produced [his] best work in yonks". Music Week rated this as "Album of the Week as it contained a well-rounded package." Three singles were released from this album, the first being the song Somethin' Is Goin' On which reached #9 in the UK Singles Chart and stayed for 3 weeks. The second single release was a song written by Barry Gibb from the Bee Gees called I Cannot Give You My Love which reached #13 in the UK Singles Chart and stayed for 4 weeks. Barry Gibb also appears as a guest on the album and sings backing vocals in the track. The final single release was What Car which reached #12 in the UK Singles Chart and stayed for 3 weeks. The album has sold over 150,000 copies worldwide.

Track listing

1. "Thousand Miles to Go" Writers: S. Mandile, D. Matkovsky, B. White
    Producers: D. Huff, S. Mandile 4:25
    2. "Somethin' is Goin' On" Writers: M. Hummon, D. Mullen, S. Mandile
    Producer: T. Sims 4:24
    3. "I Will Not Be a Mistake" Writers: G. Burr, H. Darling, W. Robinson
    Producers: D. Huff, S. Mandile 3:57
    4. "Simplicity" Writers: B. Farrell, C. Wiseman, D. Matkovsky
    Producer: T. Sims 4:13
    5. "Sometimes Love" Writers: D. Poythress, B. White
    Producer: T. Bruce 3:07
    6. "I Cannot Give You My Love" Writers; B. Gibb, A. Gibb
    Producer: B. Gibb 5:03
    7. "The Day That I Stop Loving You" Writers: B. Huff, D. Brown, J. Kimball
    Producer: M. Omartian 4:06
    8. "What Car?" Writers: T. Bruce, D. Mullen, G. Burr
    Producer: T. Bruce 3:31
    9. "How Did She Get Here?" Writers: S. Mandile, G. Burr, D. Brown
    Producer: T. Bruce 4:13
    10. "Field of Love" Writers: W. Robinson, J. Kimball, T. Sims
    Producer: T. Sims 5:06
    11. "For Life" Writers: C. Eaton, B. Huff
    guitar Duane Eddy.Producer: M. Jones 5:00
    12. "I Don't Wanna Lose You" Writers: C. Eaton, J. Hartley
    Producer: T. Bruce 4:43
    13. "Faithful One" Writers: C. Eaton, B. White
    Producer: T. Sims, M. Omartian 4:18

B-Sides
    1. "How Many Sleeps" Writers: B. Gibb, D. English
    Producers: B. Gibb
    2. "She's All Mine" Writers:
    Producer:
    3. "Slow Down" Writers:
    Producers:
    4. "Diamonds On A Chain" Writers:
    Producers:
    5. "Sentimental Journey" Writers:
    Producers: Norrie Paramor

Personnel
    Cliff Richard - vocals
    Barry Gibb - vocals, guitar
    Maurice Gibb - keyboard
    Hal Roland - keyboard
    Alan Kendall - guitar
    George Perry - bass
    Steve Rucker - drums
    Gustav Lescano - harmonica
    John Merchant - engineer

Producers: Barry Gibb, Trey Bruce, Dann Huff, Monroe Jones, Steve Mandile, Michael Omartian, Tommy Sims

What a welcome relief this album was! I had nearly given up on Cliff. His choices in the near past had seemed, at least to me, desperate and lazy at the same time. The news that he had been to Nashville to record some songs didn´t raise that much hope, either - I expected more of the same unnecessary material found on "WANTED".

Then I bought the album. (Not buying was not an option. Naturellement.) I had work to do, but started the CD while getting ready... And then I heard the first bars from the opening track, and I was transfixed. It wasn´t love at first listen, but I loved the sound. The country-rock sound that pervaded this album took me by surprise - and it was a pleasant one. OK, so the there was more than enough of ballads, and the more uptempo songs tended to be similar, but I knew instantly that this album was a grower. A quality album from Cliff, no less.

And so it proved. Peaking at No. 7 in the UK charts, this was not a triumphant return in commercial terms, but in terms of the quality, it certainly was. I wonder what would have happened if this album had also been a commercial success? We shall never know.

But enjoy this album. It has many delights to share.

7. Jarleboy

"THOUSAND MILES TO GO" is the opener, and a grand one it is. It signals to everyone who cares that this is an album similar to the ones he released back in the late 70s and early 80s. A positive, optimistic and hopeful song about a possible future. Do I like it? You bet!

Robert Porter:
    "The difference [in the Something's Goin' On album] is there from the first moments in the crackling country, rock n' roll snap of A Thousand Miles To Go [sic] and the touching acoustic melancholy of I will Not Be A Mistake."
    Phil Sutcliffe (November 2004 - Mojo magazine)
    "I do [mention Albuquerque in Thousand Miles To Go]. That's right. The funny thing is, it's really strange how when Americans have written rock 'n' roll music-- And I did request from them, the writers, I said, oh, please, rock 'n' roll's always had a lot of good kind of driving songs. And I got What Car and Thousand Miles To Go which is like driving. And they were able... You in America can use the sort of city... Somehow or another by the time I get to Phoenix, you know, I just went past Albuquerque... You know, to us, singing things like 'well, I've just been to Birmingham' or 'I've just driven past Manchester': it doesn't sound the same, does it? I can't understand it [sarcastically]. I wonder why that is? No, I never have been to Albequerque, I'm afraid."
    Cliff Richard (February 18, 2005 - WGN Radio 720 Chicago interview)

Running Time: 4:24
    Record Date: 2003 and/or 2004
    Record Location: Ocean Way & Big One Three Studio, Nashville, Tennessee
    Written By: Brian White, Dennis Matkosky & Steve Mandile
    Produced By: Dann Huff & Steve Mandile
    Engineered By: Ben Fowler & Steve Mandile
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Steve Mandile (electric guitar, acoustic guitar, backing vocals), Jerry McPherson (electric guitar), Chuck Tilley (drums), John Howard (bass), Tim Akers (B-3 organ)

Here´s a raw concert recording. Suits the song.

8. Jarleboy

To me, this is one of the best of the many ballads of this album: "I WILL NOT BE A MISTAKE". I like the acoustic sound, and the lyrics are very poignant. Add Cliff´s energetic and honest delivery, and what you have is a beautiful moment in time. The sparse arrangement is just lovely.

Robert Porter:

"The difference [in the Something's Goin' On album] is there from the first moments in the crackling country, rock n' roll snap of A Thousand Miles To Go [sic] and the touching acoustic melancholy of I will Not Be A Mistake."

Running Time: 3:57
    Record Location: Big One Three Studio, Nashville, Tennessee
    Written By: Will Robinson, Helen Darling & Gary Burr
    Produced By: Dann Huff & Steve Mandile
    Engineered By: Steve Mandile
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Steve Mandile (electric guitar, acoustic guitar,classical guitar, keyboards), John Howard (bass), Chuck Tilley (percussion), Jonathan Yudkin (cello)

9. Jarleboy

Another ballad - "SIMPLICITY". It may not be as simply arranged as the previous number, but it´s another good album track. It´s another songs singing of the virtues of the simple life. And we sure could need one more. (There´s a slightly veiled reference to an earlier Cliff single in there.)

Robert Porter:
    "Simplicity finds Sir Cliff admitting that he loves someone 'like a loaded gun', which gets more disturbing the more you think about it."
    Dave Simpson (The Guardian - October 22, 2004)
    "The idea was to write song that reflected aspects of the way Cliff looked at life. He had talked about the fact that, despite his wealth and fame, the things in life that meant the most to him were moments of intimacy with friends shared over a cup of coffee. That resulted in the writing of Simplicity."
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))

Edit: There is a slightly different version on the "FOR LIFE" expanded album:

This version has the same backing track as the standard Something's Goin' On album version, but Cliff's vocals over the verses are moved forward a beat.

Running Time: 4:10 ("For Life" version)
    Record Location: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Franklin, Tennessee
    Written By: Dennis Matkosky, Craig Wiseman & Bob Farrell
    Produced By: Tommy Sims
    Engineered By: Bryan Lenox & Tommy Sims (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); Ronnie Brookshire (strings only)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Tommy Sims (guitar, bass, keyboards), Ken Lewis (percussion), Richie Pena (programming), Ziggie Diaz (programming)

Running Time: 4:12
    Record Location: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Franklin, Tennessee
    Written By: Dennis Matkosky, Craig Wiseman & Bob Farrell
    Engineered By: Bryan Lenox & Tommy Sims (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); Ronnie Brookshire (strings only)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Tommy Sims (guitar, bass, keyboards), Ken Lewis (percussion), Richie Pena (programming), Ziggie Diaz (programming)

10. Jarleboy

"SOMETIMES LOVE" is back to the country-rock template. Another corker, if you ask me. It reminds me of the sound of the 1988 B-side "MARMADUKE". Which I also happen to love.

Robert Porter:
    "And [Sometimes Love] is so basic. It's just a basic track."

Running Time: 3:07
    Record Location: Omnisound Recording Studios, Nashville, Tennessee; Sound Stage Studios, Nashville, Tennessee; & Pocket Studio, Franklin, Tennessee
    Written By: Brian White & Don Poythress
    Produced By: Trey Bruce
    Engineered By: David Buchanan
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), JT Corenflos (guitar), Michael Spriggs (guitar), Wes Hightower (backing vocals), Marty Slayton (backing vocals), Greg Morrow (drums), Alison Prestwood (bass), Tony Harrell (keyboards), Trey Bruce (programming)

11. Jarleboy

"THE DAY THAT I STOP LOVING YOU" was originally planned as the third single from the album. Cliff was unable to promote it, so the physical release was dropped from the schedule. A download single was released by mistake. I doubt that it would have been a big hit, but it´s another good album track.

Robert Porter:

"I believe the third single [The Day That I Stop Loving You from Something's Goin' On] is going to be released in March. And again, look at that sort of ballad. Isn't that a beautiful song? I went to see a show on Broadway yesterday and I'm thinking that's the kind of song that you could hear in a Broadway musical. It's just the most beautiful ballad."
    "A third single from the album - The Day That I Stop Loving You - is planned for release at the end of February - just in time for Mother's Day! Keep those fingers crossed!"
    Cliff Richard (January 2006 - www.cliffrichard.org personal message)

Running Time: 4:06
    Record Location: Sound House Brentwood, Tennessee -OR- Blue Room, Nashville, Tennesee & Sound Kitchen, Franklin, Tennessee (sources contradict)
    Written By: Jennifer Kimball, Darrell Brown & Bobby Huff
    Arranged By: Michael Omartian
    Produced By: Michael Omartian
    Engineered By: Terry Christian
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), George Marinelli (guitar), Mark Harris (backing vocals), Andy Chrisman (backing vocals), Amanda Martian (backing vocals), John Hammond (drums), Biff Watson (drums), Craig Nelson (bass), Nashville String Machine (strings), Carl Gorodetzky (strings), Michael Omartian (keyboards)

Surely, the engineer can´t be that Terry Christian, from The Word, can it?

12. Jarleboy

"HOW DID SHE GET HERE" adds to the number of ballads on the album, and it has a certain country flavour, at least to me. Another quality song.

Robert Porter:
    "But this album really has some scope to it - all sorts of odd string riffs and ambient synthesiser effects inspire the gentle knight to respond with a sensitive intensity which runs to startlingly fraught heavy breathing on his strongest performance, How Did She Get Here."
    "Sometimes you can find a song that's difficult to sing. There's one I did on the album called Something's Goin' On and it had a lot of falsetto in it and the guy that sang it [on the demo] had a fabulous high voice. In the end, I rang the producer and I said, 'Why don't you get him and record it with him.' He said, 'Look, a song is a song. Do you like the song?' I said, 'Yes.' He said, 'That's alright. Tell me what key you want to do it in.' So I got a guitar out, played it, and said, 'Okay, this one: the key of Z.' [Laughs] Anyway, we did it. And do you know what. It worked. It worked 'cause I just sang it my way."
    Cliff Richard (September 9, 2013 - Time Out With Phillip Silverstone)

Running Time: 4:13
    Record Location: Sound Kitchen Studios, Franklin, Tennessee; Sound Stage Studios, Nashville, Tennessee; & Pocket Studios, Franklin, Tennessee (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); Starstruck Studios, Nashville, Tennessee (strings only)
    Written By: Darrell Brown, Gary Burr & Steve Mandile
    Arranged By: Kristin Wilkinson
    Engineered By: David Buchanan (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); Terry Christian (strings only)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), JT Corenflos (guitar), Michael Spriggs (guitar), Pat Buchanan (guitar), Wes Hightower (backing vocals), Lisa Cochran (backing vocals), Greg Morrow (drums), Alison Prestwood (bass), Nashville String Machine (strings), Carl Gorodetzky (strings), Tony Harrell (keyboards), Trey Bruce (programming), Greg Bieck (programming), Kristin Wilkinson (orchestra conductor)

13. Jarleboy

"FIELD OF LOVE" is a more contemporary-sounding pop ballad. Strangely enough, it does remind me of the kind of songs found on the 1993 album "THE ALBUM". Just a little bit better than most of the songs found there.

Robert Porter:
    "Well, Field Of Love is a really unusual song because when I first heard it, I thought it was a song that was like a kind of anti-war song about the impossibility of war and how people keep falling. And then I thought, 'Wait a minute, though. Hang on.' I think this is just using the battlefield as being an expression of life and how that love continues to rejuvenate and continue. And as long as people fall in love, there will always be a soldier on the field of love. I think it's a very clever song. When I recorded it, I said to the producer, Tommy Simms, that I'm sure that this is going to turn out to be my personal favorite on the album. That's not a hundred percent true, because it was a favorite for a long time and in fact another track that he produced for me has become my favorite but for a different reason. That's a song called Simplicity. I love the song Simplicity. But Field Of Love... Do you know what if... If a Martian landed, you know, on the planet and had to be presented with something that would express to him what I did, I think I would choose Field Of Love. I mean, I like the way Tommy made my voice sound. I really enjoy the emotion of it. And to me it's like a... You know, pop music has changed so drastically and a lot of people think of tempo. It's not, it's a whole musical culture and Field Of Love is smack bang in the middle of everything. It's definitely a pop rock sort of classic song. And again, I mean, how lucky can you get? I don't really write songs myself. And yet I get these things given to me and I'm thinking, 'Has there been anybody else been as lucky as I've been? I don't know.'"

Running Time: 5:06
    Record Location: Uncle Tom's Cabin, Franklin, Tennessee (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); The Tracking Room, Nashville, Tennessee (strings only)
    Written By: Tommy Sims, Jennifer Kimball & Will Robinson
    Arranged By: Tommy Sims
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Tommy Sims (guitar, bass, keyboards), Susan Ashton (backing vocals), Nashville String Machine (strings), Carl Gorodetzky (strings), Ken Lewis (percussion), Tony Harrell (keyboards), Richie Pena (programming), Ziggie Diaz (programming), Curtis Zackery (drum programming), Barry Green (trombone), Mike Haynes (trumpet, flugelhorn), Jennifer Kummer (french horn)

14. Jarleboy

"FOR LIFE", which gave its name to the expanded version of this album, is a classy ballad. The high notes sometimes strain Cliff´s voice, but it´s a beautiful song. Add the guitar artistry of Duane Eddy to the mix, and you´ve got something special.

Robert Porter:
    "[For Life] is written by a friend of mine. Chris Eaton is someone I've known for a long, long time. In fact, I'm almost the first person who recorded his songs. Not quite. There was somebody, a guy called Dave Pope, a gospel singer, who introduced me to Chris Eaton. And I produced an album for Dave and there were some Chris Eaton songs on that album. I was really impressed by the way this guy wrote. And then many years went by and then suddenly a few tracks turned up and I did some songs on albums. And then, he wrote for me Saviour's Day, which was a #1 in Britain. He wrote Little Town, which was a Top Ten Christmas hit for me. And, of course, he wrote This Life [sic]. He and, uh... I can't remember the other writer's name, but there were a couple of writers involved in writing that song. And for me, it was an interesting track because it was like a retro track. It's kind of like, um... You know the old doo-wop songs. It's doo-wop without the doo-wop, really. And when we were in Nashville thinking about what kind of guitar intro it would have and I suggested Duane Eddy, never thinking that was a possibility. I just suggested a Duane Eddy sound. And they said, 'Well, you know, Duane Eddy lives here. Why don't we call him?' And I said, 'Well, I don't know him.' And they said, 'Well, don't worry. We'll call him.' And then he showed up and he sat there in the studio with his cowboy hat on and boots. And he just said, 'Look! I heard the track. This is what I think would sound right. If you don't like it, I'll do whatever you want me to do.' And he-- We played it through. He played along with the track. Our draws dropped and we thought this sounds wonderful. We had the most wonderful-- We couldn't believe that Duane Eddy was sitting there. And the funny thing is, he kept saying he hadn't got the right amplifier. He said he's getting a new amplifier and I kept thinking to myself, 'Why would you want a new amplifier? This one sounded great!' He is so... I never know how to guage what a guitarist is like. When I listen to a guitar player, he either touches you or he doesn't touch you. He doesn't have to play a million notes a second or do anything other than make your heart sing. And when he played it, I thought, 'Oh, I am so happy to be the vocalist on this track.' I had a friend that said to me that this is a wedding song. I mean, I suppose it is. Well, I mean most songs that are about devotion and about a loyalty and about a foreverness. I guess they're kind of all wedding songs, really. But I have to say that I have a soft spot for this song. Although it's the most difficult song that I had to sing on the album. It's a very... It's right at the top of my range. And I still for this... I don't know why I do this. Everyone says to me, 'Well, you're recording in a studio, you know.' Even if a track is really difficult, you can spend time and you get into it and you can do it. When you come to sing it live, night after night after night, it can wear your throat out. And I still don't know why I do it. All we had to do was take it down a semi-tone and it would have been much easier."

Running Time: 4:59
    Record Location: The Bennett House & The Hideout, Franklin, Tennessee
    Written By: Bobby Huff & Chris Eaton
    Produced By: Monroe Jones
    Engineered By: Jim Dineen
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), George Cocchini (electric guitar), Duane Eddy (guitar), Michael Mellett (backing vocals), Dan Needham (drums), Mark Hill (bass), Ken Lewis (percussion), Jeff Roach (keyboards)

15. Jarleboy

"I DON´T WANNA LOSE YOU" is a fragile, lovely ballad. (Yes, another one of those.) Like so many of the songs on this album, I feel transported back to the late 70s. Could have been a B-side or a quality album track from the golden period.

Robert Porter:
    Running Time: 4:42
    Record Location: Sound Kitchen Studios, Franklin, Tennessee; Sound Stage Studios, Nashville, Tennessee; & Pocket Studios, Franklin, Tennessee
    Written By: John Hartley & Chris Eaton
    Engineered By: David Buchanan
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), JT Corenflos (guitar), Michael Spriggs (guitar), Pat Buchanan (guitar), Wes Hightower (backing vocals), Lisa Cochran (backing vocals), Greg Morrow (drums), Alison Prestwood (bass), Tony Harrell (keyboards), Trey Bruce (programming), Greg Bieck (programming)

A slightly different video, this. Don´t pay too much attention to the scenario added by the YouTube poster. Enjoy it, but don´t take it too seriously. Do, however, enjoy the song.

16. Jarleboy

The last track, "FAITHFUL ONE", is the obligatory religiously themed song. Reminiscent of "SAVIOUR´S DAY" - hardly surprising, since Chris Eaton co-wrote the song with Brian White. An inspired ending to an over-all inspiring album.

We would never see such a consistent album again. Sadly.

Robert Porter:
    "He also spoke candidly about his faith. 'He wanted what he thought of as his own song,' says [Val] Jannsen. 'That ended up being Faithful One, a song written by Chris Eaton. It was very important to him to have that on the album.'"
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))
    "Closing this [faith and inspiration] set, and taken from the 2004 album Something's Goin' On is the Brian White/Chris Eason composition Faithful One. The following year Cliff would perform the song to over a million people at the World Youth Day in Germany."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for faith and inspiration album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

"[Faithful One] is one of the tracks on Something's Goin' On, yeah. It was in Nashville and it was with this... [Have] you ever heard of the Nashville Strings? There's like 30 people coming in there and just plug in and play. It's unbelievable. And it's a beautiful track. [...] It was [written by Chris Eaton]-- co-written, Chris and somebody else-- something White."
    Cliff Richard (August 23, 2015 - Solid Gold Sunday on KISSFM)

Running Time: 4:17
    Record Location: Sound House Brentwood, Tennessee (vocals and all instrumentation except strings); Starstruck Studios, Nashville, Tennessee (strings only)
    Written By: Brian White & Chris Eaton
    Arranged By: Michael Omartian
    Engineered By: Terry Christian
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Tommy Sims (guitar, bass, drum programming), Tom Hemby (guitar), Nashville String Machine (strings), Carl Gorodetzky (strings), Michael Omartian (keyboards), Richie Pena (programming), Ziggie Diaz (programming)

17. Jarleboy

I have mentioned it many times when discussing this album, but if you like the album proper, please do buy the expanded version of the album, released under the name "FOR LIFE". It includes all the B-sides from the singles, though not all the remixes and edits. You´ll also find a different vocal on "SIMPLICITY" - sort of.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

18. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I dug out my CD singles: "She's All Mine" was written by Chris Eaton and Ralph Van Manen Produced by Trey Bruce
    "Diamonds on a Chain" was written by Don Poythress and Brian White. Produced by Monroe Jones
    "Slow Down" was written by Gary Burr, Chris Eaton, and Kenny Greenburg. Produced by Michael Omartian.

The spelling could be a bit off because the print is so small that even with reading glasses, the credits become a guessing game.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jarleboy

Thank you, Ron, for taking the trouble of finding those credits. :laugh:

RonBaker, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  20. CheshireCat

CheshireCat Forum Resident

I expect I may be the only one, but most of the time, I find this the BEST album of Cliff's career! I know, a bold statement, but there it is. Fantastic songs, so well suited to Cliff's voice at this stage of his career. Personal favourites would include HOW DID SHE GET HERE, FIELD OF LOVE and FOR LIFE, oh, and WHAT CAR. In fact my least favourite of the tracks is SOMETHING IS GOIN' ON, the first single and only top 10 hit from the album. Maybe it's just me then! But there again, as far as I can tell, that track is the only one from the album which has not been performed live in concert.

If only it'd have been more a hit, or even if Cliff was more artistically focussed and not financially/chart focussed, we'd possibly now be talking of a late-career resurgence, spoke of in revered terms as an elder statesman of popular music... Instead, we got, well, pretty much the opposite...

running hatter, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  21. Jarleboy

Apart from quite liking the title track, I have thought exactly as you do. Although I hold the late 70s/early 80s albums in higher regard, I agree with your assertion that this is among his very best albums ever. (And I certainly agree that this album supplied songs that suited his voice and age. (Well, maybe not "WHAT CAR?"... After all, he´s not 17 anymore.)

And yes, if this album had been a commercial success, or if Cliff forgot about his need to top the charts for the umpteenth time and just concentrated on making artistically interesting albums, he would be seen as more relevant and as someone whose career we should really treasure. I accept that Cliff is human, and he needs to be worshipped by his fans. That much is obvious. As I said, he´s only human. But I share your wish that he would forget about being adored, and just release the music he really likes.

So yes, this is a great album. I doubt we will ever see another one of this quality. My next few posts will reflect this, I fear.

22. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I'm also thinking that this is Cliff's last 'real' attempt at an album. Following this we get a succession of oldies and duets albums...and the love album...which is oldies and duets. Sad, really. Artists who are Cliff's age can still make good albums...don't shoot me...but Tom Jones, Willie Nelson...all as old or older than Cliff and both turning out good albums still.

Jarleboy, CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  23. Jarleboy

I agree. Cliff seemed to lose the will to do original things after this album. Some older statesmen - to be polite - continue to make relevant and interesting music. The late Leonard Cohen springs to mind - his last album was as interesting as his younger work, maybe even more so. Bob Dylan, Paul Simon, Van Morrison, Joni Mitchell etc. They all had interesting things to say at an old age. Pete Seeger, anyone?

One major difference is that Cliff is a singer, not an artist in the same sense. (No, I´m not putting him down. It´s just a minor distinction in this context.) Tom Jones is similar in stature, and, as you say, he continues to try new things. Willie Nelson is also a writer, but tends to record covers now - great covers, to be fair. Dolly Parton is up there, and still creates new material. Cliff seems to accept that his time is over, and just goes through the motions of releasing pleasant, if a bit mediocre themed albums. Don´t get me wrong - Cliff has given us more than enough to enjoy. For me, the last time he was really interesting was "SOMETHING´S GOING ON". At least we have that.

24. StephenB

StephenB Forum Resident

I have not really got a lot to add to what has already been said about this album, it is easily on a par with I'm Nearly Famous and may even be ahead of that one in best ever Cliff album stakes! Every song on this album from beginning to end is a winner, there isn't a single duff song on it. If there is one criticism, it is that it is a little bit ballad heavy but when they are of this quality and stature, who cares?

After this there is one truly excellent album to come from Cliff, in my opinion, and that is Soulicious. The rock and roll albums are incredibly fun to listen to too, but not as good as "original" albums of the past. I shall look forward to discussing Soulicious when it's time comes...

25. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

Elvis began to lose interest in recording in studios about the year before he tossed off his last big hit "Burning Love" - and producer Felton Jarvis had to really talk him into recording that one. And in the last years of his life he did covers, too. But he had a lot of other things that Cliff didn't. Although Presley, when alive, didn't do any "duets" albums in the way we recognize them since Sinatra's near the end of his career and life.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.