Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

God for you. I just wish I get a chance to watch it later. I have always enjoyed documentaries, and when there´s one about Cliffiepoo.... He, he. I know, I hate those names too! :righton:

Seriously, I loved "THE STORY SO FAR", when Una Stubbs was a little bit more revealing than I had expected her to be, yet remaining extremely kind. Even more - hearing Bruce Welch divulge the second meaning to the "DEVIL WOMAN" lyrcs... I guess only Cliff avoided that rather predictable second layer.

bob60 and mark ab like this.
  2. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Does Cliff wear a hearing aid? I'm sure he had one in a clip I saw, of course he is 78 do it wouldn't be surprising...

mark ab, CheshireCat and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Jarleboy

Album released in October 14th 1961, material recorded September 1960 - July 1961
    Producer: Norrie Paramor

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

We´re breezing along at the moment! The next album bore the title "21 TODAY", and was indeed released on the 21st birthday of our hero. Once again, the repertoire was mixed, to say the least. I wonder how many teenagers of 1961 wanted covers of "TEA FOR TWO" and "MY BLUE HEAVEN"? But get them they did. But there were improvements. The standards were approached a bit more toungue-in-cheek this time around, and that makes the album lighter and poppier in tone. There´s none of the po-faced, super-serious renditions of stale standards on this album. (Well... Hardly any.) They are done for fun. That makes the album more joyful and energetic than album nos. 2 and 4. However, a worrying sign of things to come was the dearth of material written by The Shadows. Only three were admitted this time, and that is one of the negatives about this album. Overall, it´s a happy, fun album, and it takes Cliff´s career even further into the realm of pop, somewhat to the detriment of his rock´n´roll roots. Don´t worry - there are rock´n´roll numbers on this album, and they are corkers, but this is another step in the middle of the road direction that Cliff would follow until 1976. Just a spirited one.

And this time it broke with tradition, bypassed the No. 2 position in the charts and settled nicely on the No. 1 spot. Not bad for a young band.

From Wikipedia:
    21 Today is the fourth studio album by UK singer Cliff Richard and fifth album overall. It was released through EMI Columbia Records on 14 October 1961, the exact date of Cliff Richard's 21st birthday and was his first No. 1 in the UK album chart. Like its predecessors it featured covers of Rock 'n 'Roll hits and well known standards.

Track listing

Side One
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Happy Birthday to You" Mildred J. Hill 1:38
    2. "Forty Days (To Come Back Home)" Chuck Berry 2:49
    3. "Catch Me" Sid Tepper, Roy C. Bennett 2:31
    4. "How Wonderful to Know" Salvatore D'Esposito, Kermit Goell 2:42
    5. "Tough Enough" Johnny Otis 2:18
    6. "Fifty Years for Every Kiss" Sammy Bella 2:34
    7. "The Night Is So Lonely" Gene Vincent, Clifton Simmons 2:46
    8. "Poor Boy" Vern McEntire 2:59

Side Two
    No. Title Writer(s) Length
    1. "Y'Arriva" Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin 3:39
    2. "Outsider" Sid Tepper, Roy C. Bennett 2:45
    3. "Tea For Two" Vincent Youmans, Irving Caesar 2:19
    4. "To Prove My Love for You" Don Wolf, Ben Raleigh 1:55
    5. "Without You" Cliff Richard, Hank Marvin, Bruce Welch 2:09
    6. "A Mighty Lonely Man" Eddie Curtis 2:18
    7. "My Blue Heaven" George A. Whiting, Walter Donaldson 2:31
    8. "Shame on You" Bruce Welch, Hank Marvin, Kevin Jacobson 2:08

Again, all the songs from the album are here, but not in the right order. You´ll survive, I think... :righton:

mark ab, CheshireCat and bob60 like this.
  4. Jarleboy

The opening track of this album is, highly appropriately, "HAPPY BIRTHDAY". Now, the story of that song is more complex and definitely more expensive than you´d ever imagine, so take the time to read the Wikipedia link, if you´re interested in behind the scenes stories. It´s got nothing to do with Cliff or The Shads, but it´s so unexpected. Here´s the link: Happy Birthday to You - Wikipedia

The Shadows treatment of this song sets up a party situation, probably one to celebrate the 21st birthday of our dear Cliff. As such, it´s a fun way to open the album. Musically, it´s not that interesting, but what better way to start this album? I can smell The Shadows´ sense of humour here. And that´s never bad.

Do you know, I´ll skip all the usual cover versions for this track. I hope you forgive me. :wave:

Robert Porter:
    The mono and stereo recordings are the same take and edit, but different mixes.
    "Continuing along the lines of Cliff Sings, and repeating the mixture of both ballad and rock 'n' roll standards, Cliff released Listen To Cliff [sic], 21 Today and 32 Minutes And 17 Seconds [sic], in quick succession between 1961 and 1962. On all three albums, listeners were treated to Cliff's renditions of such familiar numbers as Happy Birthday To You, Blue Moon and When My Dreamboat Comes Home."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (July 2010 - liner notes for The Collection album)

Running Time: 1:35
    Record Date: July 28, 1961
    Record Location: Abbey Road, London
    Written By: Mildred J. Hill & Patti S. Hill
    Produced By: Norrie Paramor
    Engineered By: Malcolm Addey & Norman Smith
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Hank Marvin (guitar), Bruce Welch (guitar), Jet Harris (bass), Tony Meehan (drums)

Last edited: Dec 15, 2018
    mark ab and CheshireCat like this.
  5. Jarleboy

I always love it when Cliff & The Shadows cover Chuck Berry. Here they open the album proper with a cover of "FORTY DAYS (TO COME BACK HOME)", a real rocker as only Chuck Berry could write them. The Shadows once again acquit themselves magnificently when backing Cliff on this, and Cliff himself doesn´t let the side down. This is how I live to hear Cliff & The Shadows. It´s easy to tell that they truly love this song. So do I.

(Notice that Wikipedia points out that this was a "chart single", but never discloses the chart placing. It reached No. 2 on the R&B charts.)

From Wikipedia:
    "Thirty Days (To Come Back Home)", also written "30 Days", is a 1955 song and chart single by Chuck Berry. Berry wrote "30 Days" to pay tribute to Hank Williams' country music.

Covers
    The song has been covered by many artists, including:
    Ernest Tubb, 1955
    Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks as "Forty Days", 1959.
    Cliff Richard & The Shadows as "Forty Days", 1961.
    Bill Black And His Combo, 1964
    The Tractors 1995

Robert Porter:
    "Written by Chuck Berry, this slice of rock 'n' roll was another of the highlights on 21 Today. A favourite that Cliff often performed in concert. [sic] This track also featured regularly on his 15-minute Me And My Shadows Radio Luxembourg shows throughout the early sixties."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1997 - liner notes for The Rock 'n' Roll Years 1958-1963 album)

Running Time: 2:47
    Record Date: July 4, 1961
    Written By: Chuck Berry
    Engineered By: Malcolm Addey
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Hank Marvin (guitar), Bruce Welch (guitar), Jet Harris (bass), Tony Meehan (drums)

6. Jarleboy

Here is Chuck Berry´s original. We are talking rock´n´roll royalty once again. He may not have been the easiest person to get along with, but there were reasosns for this sorry state of affairs. You can easily hear the country & western roots of this song in the original recording. For once, Cliff rocks harder! Anyway - a great song by a great artist.

7. Jarleboy

I thought I´d add Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks´ version. His backing musicians went on to form,among other bands, Janis Joplin´s Full Tilt Boogie Band and the mighty The Band. Here is Ronnie Hawkins & The Hawks´ cover version.

8. Jarleboy

What Cliff & The SHadows song features the most awkward girlie backing vocals? (I feel like Stephen Fry doing "QI"... I could get used to this!) No, I don´t think it´s "THEME FOR A DREAM"... Listen to this, "CATCH ME". The song reminds me of a Peter Chester/Bruce Welch kind of a song, but it was actually written by Cliff stalwarts Sid Tepper & Roy C. Bennett. The songs is a bit too sweet for my taste, but not bad. The girl singers ruin the song for me, though.

Amazingly, this song was released as a single in South Africa, and got to No. 22 in the charts there. (Early 1962.)

Robert Porter:

Running Time: 2:29
    Record Date: September 9, 1960
    Written By: Sid Tepper & Roy C. Bennett
    Engineered By: Malcolm Addey & David Lloyd

9. Jarleboy

Luckily, there is an undubbed version of this song, which was released on the "THE ROCK´N´ROLL YEARS 1958-1963" box set in 1997. This is a much more agreeable way to hear the song.

Robert Porter:
    This take/version is the exactly same as the 21 Today version, except the take announcement (take 10) is left on the beginning of the song and all the female backing vocals are missing. Curiously, Cliff must have dubbed an extra "I'm falling for you" on at the song's beginning because the first one on the album version is missing from this undubbed version.
    "When released on the 21 Today album, Catch Me featured an overdubbed girl chorus echoing the lines 'Catch Me' and for this [The Rock 'n' Roll Years 1958 - 1963] set the original undubbed version has been used."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1997 - liner notes for The Rock 'n' Roll Years 1958-1963 album)

Running Time: 2:32
    Record Date: September 9, 1960
    Engineered By: Malcolm Addey & David Lloyd

10. Jarleboy

I said that there were no po-faced standards on this album. Well, that´s almost true. "HOW WONDERFUL TO KNOW" falls into this category. (This didn´t prevent it from becoming the title track when the album received a budget reissue, sans "HAPPY BIRTHDAY" in 1966.)

All the information about the original composers was in Italian, so... I think I´ll pass. Using Google Translate doesn´t feel right.

From Wikipedia:
    "Anema e core" is a popular song.

The original Neapolitan version
    It was first introduced in 1950, sung by the tenor Tito Schipa. The composer was Salve d'Esposito, and the original lyrics were by Tito Manlio.
    Three sets of English lyrics have been written to this song:

Until
    The first English lyrics were written under the title "Until" by Sylvia Dee and Sidney Lippman. The best-known recording of this song in 1952 was recorded by Dinah Shore. It was also recorded by Dean Martin on November 19, 1951.
    A recording of the song was made on December 16, 1951, by Johnny Desmond. It was released as Coral Records catalog number 60629.
    There were also instrumental recordings by the Frankie Carle and Freddy Martin orchestras (though, as instrumentals, there is nothing to differentiate them from the other versions named below).

Anema e core/With All My Heart and Soul
    Another English lyric was written by Manny Curtis and Harry Akst. This version was sometimes recorded under the Italian title and sometimes under the English title "With All My Heart and Soul".
    In 1953 it was included in the Broadway musical, John Murray Anderson's Almanac, with the new Curtis/Akst lyrics.
    The biggest hit version was recorded by Eddie Fisher with Hugo Winterhalter's orchestra and chorus at Manhattan Center, New York City, on February 11, 1954. It was released by RCA Victor Records as catalog number 20-5675 (78 rpm record)and 47-5675 (single) (in USA). It was also released on His Master's Voice EA 4167 and His Master's Voice (S) X 7981. The US release first reached the Billboard magazine Best Seller chart on March 31, 1954 and lasted 14 weeks on the chart, peaking at #14. The song also made the Cash Box Best-Selling Records chart that year, peaking at #12.
    Vic Damone included the song on his album Angela Mia (1958).
    Jerry Vale recorded the song for his album Arrivederci, Roma (1963).
    A song of the same title was recorded by Perry Como in 1951 but credited to Larry Stock. In 1966 Como recorded "Anema e core" for an album, Perry Como In Italy. The song was also recorded by Michael Bublé more recently.
    One recording, by Connie Francis, includes mostly the Italian lyric but some portions of the Curtis/Akst lyrics. Another Italian language performance by Ezio Pinza was briefly included in the landlady scene from The Blues Brothers.

How Wonderful to Know
    Yet another set of English lyrics, under the title "How Wonderful to Know," was written by Kermit Goell, and recorded by Joan Regan, by Cliff Richard on his 1960 album 21 Today, by Caterina Valente, and by Andy Williams. Sergio Franchi covered this song in his second RCA Victor Red Seal album Our Man From Italy in 1963.[9] This album placed number sixty-six on the Billboard 200 album chart.

Srcem i dusom
    "Srcem i dusom", a version of this song in Serbo-Croat language, was recorded in 1963 by Croatian jazz and schlager singer Stjepan Djimi Stanic on PGP RTB Label, EP 50 220, Belgrade, Yugoslavia.

Robert Porter:
    This song is an English language adaption of the Italian song Anema E Core by the singer Tito Schipa. Cliff did not record an Italian language version of this song.

Running Time: 2:40
    Record Date: January 30, 1961
    Written By: Salvatore D'esposito (music) & Kermit Goell (English lyrics)
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Norrie Paramor Orchestra (all other instruments), Mike Sammes Singers (backing vocals)

11. Jarleboy

Just for completion... The 1966 budget reissue of the album looked like this, and included all but one of the tracks. ("HAPPY BIRTHDAY" was the missing song.)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

12. Jarleboy

This is the original version of the song, performed by Tito Schipa. (Here is more about the singer: Tito Schipa - Wikipedia )

13. Jarleboy

Joan Regan tried her luck with the song in 1961. Ballroom, dancing, anyone? (More about the singer here: Joan Regan - Wikipedia )

14. Jarleboy

Cliff and the boys had had success with two Johnny Otis numbers earlier, and here they were seen to go back one more time to the well. Well, all good things come in threes, don´t they? "TOUGH ENOUGH" is another rhythmic rocker, and is a great moment on the album.

Robert Porter:
    "Tough Enough is another of the great rock 'n' roll tracks that featured on the 21 Today album. Both this track and Mumblin' Mosie had been written by Johnny Otis, composer of the Johnny Otis Hand Jive, a track Cliff often performed on his Radio Luxembourg Show Me And My Shadows."
    "Johnny Otis, composer of Willie And The Hand Jive, also composed two more songs included here [on the The Early Years set], Mumblin' Mosie and Tough Enough, both recorded and released in 1961."
    Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (2008 - liner notes for The Early Years album in the ...And They Said It Wouldn't Last! {My 50 Years In Music} set)

Running Time: 2:17
    Record Date: January 28, 1961
    Written By: Johnny Otis

15. Jarleboy

"FIFTY TEARS FOR EVERY KISS" is another big ballad, slightly faster than "HOW WONDERFUL TO KNOW". (The song is also listed as "FIFTY YEARS FOR EVERY KISS". This sounds more like a 2018, #metoo kind of a title.) This has a country & western sound to it, and it´s a song I can easily live without. It´s not a bad song, but it´s the kind of material I wish Cliff would avoid. The song was written by Sammy Bella, a.k.a. Wilbur "Billy" Meshel.

Robert Porter:

Running Time: 2:32
    Written By: Billy Meshel
    Performed By: Cliff Richard (vocals), Norrie Paramor Orchestra (all other instruments), Mike Sammes Singers (backing vocals)

16. Jarleboy

"THE NIGHT IS SO LONELY" is an OK almost doo-woop song, which was unknowingly given more exposure than was intended. The song was written by Gene Vincent and Clifton Simmons, and it´s one of the better songs on the album, IMO. In 1982, when a 7" singles box was being prepared, they mistankenly put "THE NIGHT IS SO LONELY" on the B-side of "WIND ME UP (LET ME GO)" instead of the right song, "THE NIGHT". (I just discovered that Robert Porter covered this aspect of the song´s history, too.) The song was a 1959 single for Gene Vincent, but it didn´t make the charts.

Anyway, this is a pleasant enough song, but it must have sounded old-fashioned if it had been a 1965 release?

The composers:
    Gene Vincent: Gene Vincent - Wikipedia
    Clifton Simmons: Clifton Simmons

Robert Porter:
    In 1982, EMI issued a special box set of 12 of Cliff's singles with special picture sleeves. The Night Is So Lonely was inadvertantly issued on the B-side of Wind Me Up (Let Me Go) in the box set instead of the proper song The Night (and it was labeled as The Night as well). The error was caught and the box set was recalled and reissued with the correct song, so only early issues of the box set have the incorrect song on it.

Running Time: 2:45
    Written By: Clifton Simmons & Gene Vincent

17. Jarleboy

"POOR BOY", written by Vern McEntire, is one of the more charming songs on the album. The composer seems to have written only this song. (Vernon McEntire ) Cliff´s voice really shines on this track. Lovely.

Robert Porter:

Running Time: 3:00
    Record Date: April 19, 1961
    Written By: Vernon McIntyre
    Engineered By: Malcolm Addey & Norman Smith

18. Jarleboy

The Shadows didn´t get to record many of their songs for this album, but this one, written by Hank and Bruce, is one of their very best. (In Norway, it was even included on a "BEST OF" CD.) To date, their most Spanish-sounding record. Charming!

Robert Porter:

Running Time: 3:37
    Record Date: July 11, 1961
    Written By: Bruce Welch & Hank Marvin

19. Jarleboy

"OUTSIDER" was another track that was released as a single in South Africa, replicating the success of "CATCH ME" by reaching No. 22 in the charts. And the writers were the same - Sid Tepper and Roy Bennett. The song was given to Cliff & the boys in a batch that also included "THE YOUNG ONES" and "WHEN THE GIRL IN YOUR ARMS IS THE GIRL IN YOUR HEART". The first two ended up in the movie - "OUTSIDER" didn´t. A great pop song.

Robert Porter:
    "Sid Tepper and Roy Bennett were sent a script and commissioned to write three songs for the [The Young Ones] movie, one to be called The Young Ones. Forty-eight hours later they had three songs, The Young Ones, When The Girl In Your Arms and Outsider. The last track was not used in the movie but instead released on Cliff's studio album 21 Today but is included here [on Cliff Richard At The Movies 1959-1974] as a bonus."
    Author Unknown (August 1996 - liner notes for Cliff Richard At The Movies 1959-1974)
    "Prolific songwriters Sid Tepper and Roy Bennett... were asked to supply material for Cliff's new musical. They were sent a copy of the script and commissioned to write three songs for the movie to include one with the title The Young Ones. Within forty-eight hours they had three songs written, two of which, The Young Ones and When The Girl In Your Arms [sic], would appear in the movie and on the soundtrack album. The third title, Outsider, did not make it into the movie but would appear on Cliff's studio album 21 Today."
    Peter Lewry & Nigel Goodall (August 2005 - liner notes for The Young Ones remaster album)
    "[Norrie Paramor] sent music publisher Cyril Simons to New York with a script [of The Young Ones] and a commission for [Sid Tepper and Roy C. Bennett to write three numbers. 'I arrived in New York in the morning, left the scripts with Tepper and Bennett and told them I wanted a song called The Young Ones,' says Simons. 'I then went to LA and when I returned 48 hours later they had produced three songs, one of which was The Young Ones, one was Outsider and the other was When The Girl In Your Heart Is The Girl In Your Heart, which they had already written but which no one had recorded. I flew back to London that day and played them to Norrie and he loved them and Cliff had two number ones with them. They recorded Outsider but eventually decided not to use it because no one was 100 percent sold on it. (It was used on the album 21 Today along with another Tepper-Bennett song, Catch Me.)"
    Steve Turner (2008 January - Cliff Richard - The Biography (revised edition))
    Editor's Note: Only one of these songs, The Young Ones was a number one song.

Running Time: 2:44

20. Jarleboy

And now we get to the cover of another standard. This one is fun, though. Here Cliff pulls off the almost-jazz of this song, and it´s a pleasant little moment on the album. Cja-cha, baby, as Austin Powers would have said.

From Wikipedia:
    "Tea for Two" is a song from the 1925 musical No, No, Nanette with music by Vincent Youmans and lyrics by Irving Caesar. It is a duet sung by Nanette and Tom (Louise Groody and Jack Barker) in Act II as they imagine their future. It was also sung by Doris Day and Gordon MacRae in the 1950 musical film, Tea for Two.

Analysis
    The song contains abrupt key changes between A-flat major and C-major. The song also consists mostly of dotted eighth and quarter notes. Alec Wilder described these features as being uncharacteristic of a great theatrical song but acknowledged the song's great success regardless.
    The story may be apocryphal, but Irving Caesar indicated on Steve Allen's radio show that the lyrics were intended to be temporary.

Other versions
    The earliest recordings of the song were by Marion Harris (Brunswick), Ben Bernie (Vocalion) and the Benson Orchestra of Chicago (Victor, and Ralton's Havana Band (Austral Duplex) in 1925. Recordings of the song have been made by Helen Clark & Lewis James (1924), Benson Orchestra (1924), Marion Harris (1925), Ben Bernie (1925), Red Nichols (1930), Fats Waller (1939), Art Tatum (1939), Bing Crosby, and Connie Boswell (recorded December 13, 1940). There is a cha-cha-chá version by Tommy Dorsey and His Orchestra starring Warren Covington which reached No. 7 on the Billboard magazine Hot 100 chart in November 1958.
    Dave Brubeck – (1949)
    Benny Goodman – (1937)
    Thelonious Monk – Criss Cross (1963)
    Bud Powell (1950)
    Django Reinhardt – (1937)
    Art Tatum – (1933)
    Fats Waller – (1937)
    Norma Winstone – Somewhere Called Home (1986)

Robert Porter:
    "December 22, 1961: Cliff has two records in the South African Top Ten: Tea For Two (No.) [sic] and A Girl Like You (No.10)."
    Mike Read, Nigel Goodall & Peter Lewry (1995 - The Complete Chronicle)

Running Time: 2:18
    Written By: Vincent Youmans & Irving Caesar

21. Jarleboy

I couldn´t find a recording of the original version of this song, but I did find the Doris Day remake for the film "TEA FOR TWO" (1950).

CheshireCat and mark ab like this.
  22. Converse

Converse Well-Known Member

I like Cliff but Love Hank and the Shadows more.

CheshireCat, mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  23. Jarleboy

And here is a 1958 cha-cha-cha version of the song. Imagine, this was released in the same year as "MOVE IT!". Warren Covington had now taken over leadership of the Tommy Dorsey Orchestra after the original leader´s death in 1956.

24. Jarleboy

And now for someone I rarely get to include here: Django Reinhardt´s version, from 1937. Could he play the guitar? Yes, he could.

25. Jarleboy

"TO PROVE MY LOVE FOR YOU" was written by Don Wolf and Ben Raleigh. Cliff always had a way with country songs, and this sounds like one. Cute.

The composers:
    Don Wolf: Don Wolf
    Ben Raleigh: Ben Raleigh - Wikipedia

Robert Porter:

Running Time: 1:53
    Written By: Don Wolf & Ben Raleigh

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.