Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Yes, I remember reading about the show. Not a hit with the critics - what a surprise! :sigh:

Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  2. ash1

ash1 Forum Resident

They are great recordings - Malcolm Addey and the Abbey Road team pioneering the EMI sound that would serve the Fab 4 so well. Addey also engineered much of Johnny Kidd's best work. Malcolm Addey is up there with the finest engineers in pop and jazz.

goodiesguy, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  3. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Is it from Finders Keepers? I watched that film once ages ago but remember very little about it.

Bobby Morrow likes this.
  4. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

Yes, it´s from "Finders Keepers". The story is slight, and made all the worse for finding humour in a lost atomic bomb. Very poor taste then - and now. There are delightful moments in the film - "Time Drags By" is sung while Cliff and The Shadows are in jail, if I remember correctly. The sequence around the song "Washerwoman" is also warm and funny. Perhaps a tiny bit sexist, but that goes with the territory. It sometimes feels like a Carry On film without the wit.

mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  5. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Thanks.

Jarleboy likes this.
  6. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I've never watched any of Cliff's films. This thread isn't do anything to convince me to start either.:D

Could the next single be the one Sir Cliff banned himself?

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  7. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

Devil Woman is a superb single, still love it til this day. He did plenty of good ones in that late 70's era. (Crikey, never ever thought i'd contribute to a Cliff thread on Hoffmans!!)

One thing has been noticeable over here in the UK is on the BBC4 Top of the Pops repeats from 1976 onwards over the past 6 odd years. You see how much power Cliff had back in the late 70's era. Virtually every single he released, be it an eventual hit or flop got him onto TOTP to promote it when it was a new release. So if you're looking for TV performance for some of those late 70's singles checkout the TOTP performances on youtube. This is a good site that covers all the TOTP performances through the years. Popscene -> TOTP Episode Guide »

8. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I completely agree, and that's what I tell my friends, I won't be around forever so tell me how much you love, cherish and respect me now whilst I am still around to hear it :D:goodie:

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
    Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  9. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

The Young Ones and Summer Holiday are good films. I might even describe the latter as a minor classic as far as UK musical comedies go ( not that there's a huge amount of competition!) TalkingPictures UK TV channel has had TYO and Wonderful Life on recently and they'll almost certainly be on again soon. I recorded Wonderful Life but haven't watched it yet, I think I've seen it years ago and wasn't too keen. Serious Charge was on the same channel , not particularly good but of historical interest maybe with Cliff in a supporting role!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. John B Good

John B Good Forum Hall Of Fame

No problem, just a cut and paste...

11. Almost Simon

Almost Simon Forum Resident

I also forgot about the blatant promo for the I'm Nearly Famous album. Not sure if it was this particular edition from 1976 but quite a few of the audience members were given the very same tee-shirt Cliff is wearing here to wear during the between song links. Which did make me smile.

goodiesguy, alexpop, Song4U and 5 others like this.
  12. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

I actually like "Finders Keepers". I have a nice poster framed and on my wall in my music room. This isn't my copy, but this is the poster I have. Love it! Have had it for years. Besides, the story seems current. An accidental bomb gets dropped and panic ensues...
    [​IMG]

13. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

I love that poster, and look...Peggy Mount. I had forgotten all about her.

Jarleboy, Bobby Morrow and mark ab like this.
  14. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

That's a great poster. I will have to try and get the DVD of the film ( assuming there is one!) although I have a feeling it might appear on the UK TalkingPictures channel at some point.

15. Bobby Morrow

I was watching Peggy Mount in the hilarious You're Only Young Twice on ITV3 just this afternoon!

16. lavalamp3

lavalamp3 Forum Resident

It's Only Me You've Left Behind was the first Cliff record I ever bought (I was 17). I couldn't understand why it missed the charts.

Jarleboy, mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. RonBaker

RonBaker Forum Resident

Believe it or not, the DVD was 'free' with a copy of a newspaper there a few years back. Some people bought the newspapers to get copies to sell...that's how I got mine. Can only play it on my computer though because it's region 2.

18. mr.datsun

mr.datsun Incompletist

I'd like to see him doing a really good covers album. Things like Sleaford Mods, Animal Collective, PiL, D.A.F, Faust, Yolandi/Die Antwoord, Black Moth Super Rainbow, Die Trip Computer Die.

Jarleboy likes this.
  19. Bobby Morrow

Neither could Cliff.:)

It was a great single. And as I said earlier, a song I remembered instantly when it surfaced as a bonus track on the I'm Nearly Famous remaster 25 years later.

20. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I can see this thread will cost me money buying albums and DVD's!

21. Bobby Morrow

A lot of those 2001 onwards CD remasters are OOP now and going for silly money. So I hope you have those already.:D

22. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I might have to look at iTunes. Apart from a couple of albums the only Cliff records I have are compilations! The only 70's album I've heard in full is Green Light because years ago it was available in my local library.

23. Bobby Morrow

All the 70s albums @Jarleboy is about to cover are great. Green Light is an especially good one. Sadly, I think that's one of the OOP CDs. The 31st Of February Street and The Rock Connection aren't easy to get hold of now. iTunes is a good bet. They should all be on there.

24. Zaragon

Zaragon Forum Resident

Everything we're about to discuss can be listened to at the Cliff Richard YouTube Topic pages in the Albums section.

25. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

Jarleboy likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.