Cliff Richard - Back from the Wilderness Singles and Albums 1975 - 1995

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jarleboy, Sep 28, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

It's going to be an eclectic ITunes week for me - the last album I bought was by Tom Waits and the next one will be Sir Cliff!

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  2. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

I have the six disc at of all his a sides and this is such a golden era. I'd not heard It's Only Me You've Left Behind until I bought that set but it should have been a big hit, he puts in great vocal performance and it's incredibly catchy. I love the key change at the end of the chorus.

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  3. Jarleboy

Jarleboy Music was my first love Thread Starter

You´re in luck! In addition to the newspaper giveaway, there was a DVD released last year that sported the same cover as your poster. (It had to be amended a bit, since the DVD is portrait, and the poster is, as usual with British cinema posters, landscape.)

I love it when they use the cinema posters for covers of DVDs and Blu-rays!:laugh:

goodiesguy, mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  4. Jarleboy

Thank you for all the constructive posts about where to find the songs and albums.

I love the comment made by Mark AB about buying Tom Waits and Cliff. That´s what I love about music - there´s so much to like. I never limit myself to one genre or one Level. Good music is good music. Some songs are revelations of art, others are just fun. I need both kinds.

5. W.B.

W.B. The Collector's Collector

And who'd've thunk that that number would chart higher in the U.S. (#6 in Billboard, #5 in both Cash Box and Record World) than in the U.K. (where it'd stalled at number nine . . . number nine . . . number nine . . . )

6. Jarleboy

Single No. 64: 1975 September 5 — UK — EMI EMI 2344
    A-side: "HONKY TONK ANGEL" (Written by Troy Seals & Denny Rice)
    B-side: "(WOULDN´T YOU KNOW IT) GOT MYSELF A GIRL" (Written by Alan Tarney & Trevor Spencer.)
    A-side arranged by John Farrar, produced by Marvin, Welch & Farrar, B-side arranged by Alan Tarney and produced by Marvin, Welch & Farrar)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

"Honky Tonk Angel" is a strange moment in Cliff´s long career. It was released in September, and Cliff was very enthusiastic about it, as always. He pulled out all the stops, and the single was reported "bubbling under", and would probably have entered the charts if nothing untoward happened. Sadly, it did. Someone whispered in Cliff´s ear that a honky tonk angel could be perceived as a prostitute. Cliff, as ever on his high moral horse, was horrified, and what happened next has to be a first. Some reports say that Cliff himself banned the single, and that it was withdrawn. I find that hard to believe. What did happen, and which has been documented by Cliff himself, is that he immediately stopped doing appearances for the song, and all promotion was dropped. Whatever really happened, the single became his third widely released single not to makethe charts at all, following "A Brand New Song" in 1972 and "It´s Only Me You´ve Left Behind". Sadly, it wouldn´t be the last. But more of that later in 1978.

Here´s a Clip of Cliff performing the song.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
    mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  7. Jarleboy

As the years flew by, the disowned single was forgiven, and he has performed it several times in concert. Here´s a clip from the "Time Machine" tour in 2008.

For me, this single was not a great one. I like country music, but I prefer the songs to have a little more bite than this. Cliff´s vocal is impeccable, I think, but I have never been that fond of the song. It was originally recorded by American country star Conway Twitty, and Dobie Gray of "Drift Away" fame also recorded it. (Indeed, it has been covered by many artists.) I never understood why the previous Cliff single never charted. I don´t have the same problems understanding this failure. As usual, it´s not a bad song - just not particularly memorable, I think.

8. Jarleboy

The B-side of the single was another story. It´s another Tarney-Spencer composition, and this one is great fun! It sounds like an Elvis Presley pastiche, and the lyrics and melody go together hand in glove. Just like "What Car?" thirty years later, this is Cliff playing the teenager who´s been up to amorous things that teenagers always do, and it´s presented in a lively, fun way. I simply love this track! It may be slight, but it´s fun.

Some websites list other writers of this song. The couple mentioned wrote another song with a similar title, but it has now been confirmed that Alan Tarney and Trevor Spencer really were the composers.

Here´s a clip of the song.

9. Jarleboy

Yes, that was a surprise. Considering its reputation and Cliff´s fondness for it, it´s surprising that it went no further than No. 9, but very welcome that it was a huge hit over a long time period in the US. Well deserved, I think. When we come to this particular song, I´ll include the original version of the song, and the interpretations of the lyrics.

goodiesguy, mark ab and Bobby Morrow like this.
  10. Bobby Morrow

Bobby Morrow Senior Member

I do remember the Honky Tonk Angel fiasco. It was a big story here. The press found it hilarious that Cliff had banned his own record. It's not very rock and roll is it?:D Country music was never a big thing in the UK, but around this time artists like Tammy Wynette, Charlie Rich, Billie Jo Spears and Don Williams did have hits, so it's easy to see why Cliff, like Olivia, jumped on this bandwagon.

Like @Jarleboy, I don't think Honky Tonk Angel is an exceptional song, but it suits Cliff. I wish he would have done an album in this vein at some point in his career. Of course I mean a country album, not one about ladies of the night.:D The style suits the warmth in his voice. Would it have been a hit? Maybe, I guess. Probably a top 20 one at best. When I bought the I'm Nearly Famous remaster in 2001, I did remember the song. So it must have received some airplay before it got pulled.

Ultimately, the back story about HTA is more interesting than the song itself. Though, like with the previous single, it did show Cliff was on the right track to having hits again. And at least Honky Tonk Angel doesn't sound like another Eurovision knock-off..

11. Bobby Morrow

Another song I discovered on the I'm Nearly Famous remaster. I'd recommend this album to anyone with an interest in the singles we're currently discussing. At 18 tracks, it's good value and is cheap and still in print.
    Wouldn't You Know It is perhaps a little too bright and jaunty for my tastes. Probably more suited to Donny, or perhaps Jimmy Osmond.:D As a B-side it's absolutely fine. And hearing it 40 years later it's sweet and enjoyable. However, at the time, this was the sort of Eurovision-y perky fluff he needed to get away from.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  12. Bobby Morrow

It's odd that this and Miss You Nights were seen as the songs that turned Cliff's career around in the UK, yet their charts peaks weren't that great! Proof that chart placings don't always tell the whole story.

13. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

I will download that album tonight.

Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  14. mark ab

mark ab Forum Resident

RonBaker, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  15. Bobby Morrow

The CD is £6.96 on Amazon if you want a physical copy.

mark ab and Jarleboy like this.
  16. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Maybe they came about during a particularly strong singles period...
    Anyway they were both fantastic pop songs and suddenly Cliff was back back back!

mark ab, Jarleboy and Bobby Morrow like this.
  17. Bobby Morrow

Kind of. The next two albums didn't provide any big hits though. It wasn't until We Don't Talk Anymore in 1979 that his revamp really kicked off.

mark ab, Jarleboy and bob60 like this.
  18. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Ok, my timing is all mixed up.
    If it wasn't for those two mid 70's hits the 70's would have been a really bad decade for Cliff...

mark ab, Bobby Morrow and Jarleboy like this.
  19. Jarleboy

I agree that it would not have made a good single. It´s a great track, but it would have to be a B-side or an album track. Which it was. Then again, I would rather listen to that song than the A-side. I agree that Cliff sings it well, and his warmth is indeed well suited to country songs. I would love for him to record a country/country-rock album. The closest he got was with "Something Going On", which was a very good album, but had a few ballads too many for my taste.

When Cliff does country, it´s mostly in the vein of "Honky Tonk Angel" and "(You Keep Me) Hangin´ On", which are pleasant songs, but too polished for my taste. A rawer approach could give him big country hits, even now. I don´t think his heart´s in it.

20. Jarleboy

How true. There were some disappointing chart performances, and some lacklustre songs. Much as I love the "Green Light" album, the second single, "Can´t Take the Hurt Anymore", was overproduced and repetitive, and failed to chart. So thank someone for Alan Tarney, and the doube whammy of "Green Light" (the single) and "We Don´t Talk Anymore". The former was a very minor hit, but signalled an interesting change, and the latter was everyone´s favourite. And it was the single that led to me becoming a fan. Not a momentous event in itself, but pretty important to me. :love:

21. Jarleboy

Expected news, and I shall buy the album. But I would have preferred a "real" album of original. I have accepted the fact that there probably won´t be any more "normal" albums from Cliff. That´s O.K. - he´ll be 76 in a few weeks.

22. Bobby Morrow

Yes, Something's Going On was less of a country album than it was one that was recorded in Nashville.:D Still, it remains his last decent LP. As you say, too many ballads and some of them go on a bit too.

running hatter, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  23. Bobby Morrow

I don't fancy this either. The last Cliff album I bought was Something's Going On.

Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
  24. Rigsby

Rigsby Forum Resident

My kinda life got a decent amount of airplay but overall you're right, he hit the hot streak post Green Light (which is a cracking single as and when we get to it!)

25. Bobby Morrow

I think My Kinda Life made the top 20, but the other 2 singles from Every Face Tells A Story and the ones from Green Light all flopped.

Carlox, Jarleboy and mark ab like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.