Clint Eastwood Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, Jan 23, 2020.

1. I agree with your list here except Pale Rider is in my like list especially given that I came to realize that it’s another “ghost” tale western like High Plains Drifter.

2. A correction. The script for Unforgiven was written by David Webb Peoples (who co wrote Blade Runner)

3. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

The only thing that stops is it for me is that daft martial arts pick handle business in the town

4. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Stolen from Kurosawa?
    :D

smilin ed likes this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

To be fair, Clint had second billing on "Rawhide", so IMO, he was more than just a supporting player.

Steve Raines or Rocky Shahan for example, would be supporting players.

6. smilin ed

smilin ed Senior Member

Well, it wasn't in Shane :).

Regginold31 and Quadboy like this.
  7. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

You have already indicated you are not a fan but this nonsense is just threadcrapping. Who cares how many westerns he made compared to other actors? That has nothing to do with his acting or directing abilities which is what this thread is about, not statistics.

905, beat_truck, Tehach and 3 others like this.
  8. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Clint ?
    He’ll be ever synonymous as The Man With No Name and Dirty Harry.

Still tempted to get The Clint Eastwood Signature blu ray box( don’t think it’s available in the US) maybe if the price is halved.

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  9. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

As others have already posted 'maybe not the greatest actor .....but my favourite movie star' applies to myself also.

Even the orangutan movies I enjoy.
    'Bronco Billy' not a modern day western?

905 likes this.
  10. unclefred

unclefred Coastie with the Moastie

if you want to win an internet argument in your own mind, all you have to do is discount any data that disproves your assertion. Like, "Those aren't westerns because the Italian director was raised in Eastern Italy."

Of course, your mind is the only one that doesn't find that ludicrous.

beat_truck and Grand_Ennui like this.
  11. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

Watched Thunderbolt and Lightfoot last night .......a favourite.
    Produced by Malpaso ........ So I can't understand why Clint didn't direct?

unclefred likes this.
  12. Luke The Drifter

Luke The Drifter Forum Resident

Compare the number of westerns made in general when Clint started making movies (1964) with the 30s, 40s and 50s you cite. I wonder how Clint's double digit westerns (the Dollars Trilogy is obviously western) compares with any other actor from 1964 on?

13. alexpop

Guess he likes to give young talent a chance. In this case he did alright with Michael Cimino( script as well)

14. I would argue that point.

15. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

Not a great actor but I can't think of any others that could deliver some of the coolest lines ever written for movies like he could.
    Love for a start:
    TGTBTUgly
    AFFO$
    Unforgiven
    A Perfect World
    The Mule
    Dirty Harry
    PMistyForMe

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  16. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

a few months ago my wife and i watched EVERY Clint movie ..there are many I forgot about! it was a challenge...

GMfan87' likes this.
  17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

GRAN TORINO seemed to reflect back to me, my philosophy of how to deal with 'racism' .... as an asian guy, born in toronto, in the late 60's, growing up in the 70's and 80's .... all i can say is that i thought it was a magnificent and very human story, that dealt with the issue in a fascinating way, in it's sensitivity and detail ..... for myself, even though i've experienced enough racist moments, i have still, never ever called anyone a racist ..... and i don't focus on that at all. i still remain curious of people, and their possible stories or histories, and try to understand them without judgement, as upsetting as a 'racist moment' might be at the time. i feel i am much better off living this way. i'm of the 'sticks and stones....' generation .... which ultimately seems much more empowering to me ....... as an aside, another powerful film for me, was 'in the heat of the night' ..... i am glad i grew up this way, and have much sympathy for those who struggle in these seemingly hyper-sensitive times. that is all, and clint still rocks!

bronco billy is another favourite .... there is more than meets the eye regarding that film. imho.

unclefred likes this.
  18. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

Clint is still nailing it. I really enjoyed The Mule. Even more than I thought I would. It's a very well done movie.
    He's made so many good films over the years as an actor or director it is pretty impressive. And a lot of those roles are so iconic with lines of dialogue delivered so strongly that people are still repeating them decades later. Just the Man With No Name Trilogy and Dirty Harry alone would cement him in many people's memory.
    Haven't seen Richard Jewell yet but I'll check it out for sure. Gotta feel bad for poor Mr. Jewell.

GMfan87' and unclefred like this.
  19. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The real question is, did you and the missus enjoy your Clint Eastwood marathon?

Michael likes this.
  20. Michael

yes, very much so!

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

Curious - how long did it take? A couple of weeks?

Michael likes this.
  22. Michael

nearly 2 months...

23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

After watchimg the excellent recent Western, HOSTILES, I thought that had this waa tbe sort of Western Eastwood would have made.

24. Timeless Classics

Timeless Classics Senior Member

Clint- great actor, great director, and a pretty good darn jazz piano player as well! My favorites are Perfect World and In The Line of Fire.... A great little documentary on Youtube with Clint and some Jazz greats... here is an excerpt with Ray Charles

EdgardV likes this.
  25. alexpop

He would have made it better.

Karnak likes this.