Clockwork Orange premiered 50 years ago today in the UK

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Houseplants, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I watched it several times in my 20s. It was so different from anything else I had ever watched before or since. Disturbing as the scene turned out, I still giggle at the phallic sculpture that eventually becomes murder weapon. Not the murder part, but when the woman who owns it pretentiously scolds Alex, stating it's an "important work of art". The way Kubrick worked humor into the very dark subject matter grabbed me at the time. I haven't watched it in at least 25 years and probably won't again but it certainly carried immense impact.

bopdd, enro99, SirCandy and 1 other person like this.
  2. HfxBob

HfxBob Forum Resident

Yes, the mixture of humor and violence is one of the disturbing aspects of the experience.

3. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

And then we go from the baroque setting of Alex' fantasy at the end of CO to "Barry Lyndon".

bopdd likes this.
  4. vince

vince Stan Ricker's son-in-law

I still remember thinking to myself, "Oh. There's "Magical Mystery Tour"!" in the record shop.

Jimmy B. and PH416156 like this.
  5. wolfram

wolfram Slave to the rhythm

Same for me. My brother got me into it (when I was actually too young for it, maybe 13 or 14) and it became one of my favourite movies for many years. I also read the book many times and played the soundtrack to death. It probably got me into classical music as well, and laid the groundwork for my lifelong love for the good old Ludwig van.

Ghostworld, SirCandy, Amnion and 2 others like this.
  6. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

And! The '2001' soundtrack.

Ghostworld likes this.
  7. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

Saw it in a theater. Very disturbing. I don't think I have watched it since.

However Malcolm McDowell is quite the raconteur. I've seen him in person and could listen to that man spin stories for hours.

8. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

Loved it as a Teen. Watched it again a few years back. Doubt I'll ever watch it again. :shrug:

9. bangkok19

bangkok19 I drank to your health, but ruined mine!

I first saw it at a Drive-In in suburban Sydney in '73... Loved it!
    When VHS Video's hit the market it was banned (as a videocassette) here for whatever reason (not censorship)... I eventually found
    a VHS (pirate) copy in Bangkok in 1985 which was copied from a Laserdisc so quite good quality.

In the 2000's I bought the BluRay version - it's still a definite cult classic.

Watching it back in the early 70's I'm pretty sure it was the catalyst for my eventual enjoyment of Classical music. Excellent soundtrack!

10. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Didn't see it 'til around 1980 or so. I was eight years old when it was new.

It's still one of my favorite movies. Watched the whole thing fairly recently, and it's not surprising some people would still find it disturbing after all this time. I can't imagine what seeing it 50 years ago must have been like.

SirCandy likes this.
  11. rod

rod Senior Member

I was fascinated by Alex's stereo system back then.
    [​IMG]

12. hophedd

hophedd Forum Resident

Did your book include the glossary? (slooshy, kots and koshes, moloko, viddy, yarbles, fuzzy warbles, etc.)

13. AintGotHalfOf

AintGotHalfOf Forum Resident

Who else went out and got a copy of Beethoven's Ninth after watching?

14. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

If you liked the film read the book

15. Then It was banned for years and Kubrick was the one that decided that. It premiered in December 1971 in New York.

16. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

I was studying Russian at school and so got a kick out of the dialogue. It was cool to have a glossary in the Burgess book.

We need @Vangro to post in this thread just so we can see his avatar.

17. Frangelico

Frangelico Forum Resident

One of the most overrated films of all-time. The rape scene is indefensible - including the manner in which it was shot with multiple takes and actresses - two leaving humiliated. Despicable.

Jimmy B. and sound chaser like this.
  18. Rick Bartlett

Rick Bartlett Forum Resident

Saw it last year after hearing much appraise for it over the years.
    Absolute garbage.
    Although, I was 'not' on drugs, so you probably need them for it to make any sense.

Jimmy B. and sound chaser like this.
  19. Jim Pattison

Jim Pattison Forum Resident

My copy of the original novel - a Penguin paperback - had the glossary. I referred to it constantly the first time I read the book. The screenplay didn’t.

hophedd likes this.
  20. Vangro

Vangro Forum Resident

The book is much better than the film. Nothing that Kubrick (talking of overrated) adds to the book improves on it in any way and a lot of it cheapens it, particularly the sexual aspects, which have that leering early 70s quality about them. Kubrick basically turns it into a comedy, the book is pretty comic, but hardly any of the comedy he adds is any good and much of it is like Carry On Juvenile Delinquent. The best thing about it is Malcolm McDowell, I like how he uses a Northern accent, Burgess being from Manchester... and the fact that they kept the Nadsat in.... and Patrick Magee ... oh and Wendy Carlos, of course!

21. Speedmaster

Speedmaster We’re all walking through this darkness on our own

Actually thought about that, the book looks interesting enough.

Like all Kubrick films, I either love or ‘mhew’ it. This one I mhew’ed.

Rich-n-Roll likes this.
  22. Rich-n-Roll

Rich-n-Roll Forum Resident

The film is excellent but the book offers more detail and fills holes that are in the film so reading the book and watching the film it come together

23. SirCandy

SirCandy Forum Resident

First saw it as a teen- I revisit it every few years and still love it. Great film. That it still has the ability to outrage people ( or bore them to death because it's too " arty " ), speaks to the power of the film.
    I also read the book after seeing the film and it is excellent in it's own right.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2022
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Context is everything. I read the book before I saw it, and had recently graduated with a minor in Film. Turns out I was more enraptured with Barry Lyndon.
    But I think Clockwork did have that immediacy of the cinematic art ("ahht") of its' day.

carlwm likes this.
  25. GreggF

GreggF Forum Resident